PDA

View Full Version : Input Faders - Sound cutting out

CONTACT
04-29-2012, 11:08 PM
hey whats up everyone, haven't been on the forums for a long time and just re-registered.

got a question about some touchy input faders - the left channel on the master level is intermittent on input channel 3. also, the right channel is intermittent on input channel 4.

however, when you apply pressure to the fader, the channel comes back, and then when pressure is released, the channel is lost. the inputs work fine on channels 1 and 2 though.

i've heard from a few places that say that it's definitely a broken input fader on both 3 and 4, the faders don't seem to make an electrical contact without additional pressure. is there a cheap / quick fix for this problem or do i have just have to replace the fader inputs on channels 3 and 4?

thanks a lot, appreciate any replies

DTR
04-30-2012, 03:30 AM
The best fix is to replace the faders / pots. Some pots are more expensive than others. As a temporary fix you could try blowing the fader out with a can of air; it might just be dust etc that's causing the intermittant connection. Or you could try dismantling the faders and cleaning them with contact cleaner. What mixer is it?

CONTACT
04-30-2012, 04:12 AM
tried blowing the faders out with air already, still havin issues. i have two mixers with have the same problem, a urei 1603 and a vestax pcv-275. i've looked into parts, it runs around $60 per fader, plus an hour or 2 in service puts it at about $200, a little under half the price of the mixer. stuck :/

mostapha
04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
It's not hard to replace faders on a Vestax.

Also, try just squirting a small amount of faderlube (basically just contact cleaner…but made for magnetic faders) at the stem and work it back & forth. It's not as good as disassembling it, obviously, but it might make a difference.

CONTACT
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
oh duh, totally forgot about faderlube, thanks for that!

don't really use the vestax that much anymore, mostly using the urei 1603. gonna order some faderlube today and see if that slves the problem.

called soundcraft today and it turns out that the replacement faders for the 1603 cost $2.60 or something ridiculously cheap, so I ordered 6 of them. if faderlube can't do them, at least it's a cheap replacement.

thanks for the help guys, now i remember why i liked this forum so much!

Dj Pudgey
05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
if you really want to give your faders a good cleaning, you can make it a 2 step process. Get some DeOxit. Same guys that make the faderlub. Use that first the let dry, the hit it up with some fader lube.

djpenguin
05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
if you really want to give your faders a good cleaning, you can make it a 2 step process. Get some DeOxit. Same guys that make the faderlub. Use that first the let dry, the hit it up with some fader lube.

This is not a great idea. Both are contact cleaners and lubricants. The D-series (DeOxit) is designed to work on all surfaces. The F-series (FaderLube) is designed to work with faders that have PCV resistive tracks instead of carbon tracks. Pick one that works for your application (F-series for PCV faders, D-series for everything else) and use that. There's no reason to mix them together.

Dj Pudgey
05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
This is not a great idea. Both are contact cleaners and lubricants. The D-series (DeOxit) is designed to work on all surfaces. The F-series (FaderLube) is designed to work with faders that have PCV resistive tracks instead of carbon tracks. Pick one that works for your application (F-series for PCV faders, D-series for everything else) and use that. There's no reason to mix them together.

good point. I use them both depending on the faders.