PDA

View Full Version : Truss Totems as Speaker Stands?

Synaxis
04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Has anyone ever thought of doing something like this? Using vertical truss totems to hold speakers?

http://www.celebrityradiodjs.com/DSC_0644.JPG

This idea really interests me. The truss looks WAY nicer and more elegant compared to regular speaker stands. Especially when it is uplit.

I personally think the one's in the photo are a bit too low, and think that five feet would work better, but would it be "safe" placing a 40 pound speaker on top?

It might be necessarily to fabricate some sort of custom top plate, with a short 1 3/8" pole, just enough to keep the speaker in place.

Thoughts? Opinions?

sss18734
04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
If I didn't stack my speakers, this is the way I would do it. Speaker stands, shims or no shims, are an eyesore imo. You'd just have to fabricate a top plate like you said. It would be much more secure than a speaker stand, that's for sure.

I do something similar, with dual Yorkville UCS1B's, and a 1.5 foot box truss connecting them to the mains above. Although I still use a custom-cut speaker pole in the center to secure it to the woofer to avoid having to create the custom plate.

Houdini823
04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Looks real good but the cost is making it prohibitive(~$350/stand vs $50 tripod). This is a nice effect though and wouldn't mind pursuing if I had the budget for it

andythemusician
04-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Totally agree - always loved that look of Jason Paige's setups (the setup referenced in the OP). Although, yes, higher would be nicer. Guess that's a +1 on using tripods - adjusted very easily.

Totally safe if you have the speaker securely mounted to the truss via mounting plate, and the truss bolted to a BBQ plate or similar.