PDA

View Full Version : CDJs or turntables?

Buddy McKarthur
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Hello my friends!!
Currently all my mixes are made using a Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2, and I would really like to upgrade my setup. However seeing how I am somewhat new to DJ'ing, I know absolutely nothing about what would be better: turntables or CDJs. I actually have not noticed much of a price range difference between the two, but I do not know what would be more practical for me. I have not yet started doing gigs, and for the time being I just DJ for fun and take part in minor battles. I mix everything under the dance/electronic genre besides D'n'B, jungle and that type of stuff. I mostly do happy hardcore, hardstyle and house. I don't know if any of that matters but I thought I might as well just throw it in there. So basically I would like to know what is a better investment and what brands or specific kinds I should look into.
Thank you so much for all your help! :)

sss18734
04-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Utilize the search feature and come back to ask more specific questions. I'd have to write a short novel to answer your original post :)

Tito Lopez
05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
For you, I recommend cdj's. Becuz records are expensive, I blew alot of money on records and Im talking about thousands. Vinyl gets expensive, add the cost of needles and maintanance. If your taste of music is new, mp3's and CD's is easier to obtain.

Ervous
05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Pioneer CDJ 1000 seems to be the industy standard for CDJ.
Technics 1200 mk2 - M3d - mk5, Vestax PDX 2000 or 3000, Numark TTX and stanton str8-150 would be an awesome choice for Turntables.

Nicadraus
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Depends on how "convenient" you want it to be. I personally prefer turntables because of its "feel" which can never be replicated 100% by any other digital equipment (CD player or controller). But if you have plans of lugging them around at gigs, then CDJs are more convenient to bring along and lighter as well.

Both have their pros and cons but if you're going to use it for DVS, I'd highly recommend turntables FTW! :tup:

DJ_BLAKNITE
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Both have their pros and cons but if you're going to use it for DVS, I'd highly recommend turntables FTW! :tup:

This!:tup::tup:

Calvin Garner
05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Since I am assuming your music is digital and that you are using a computer and software that either CDJs or Turntables are fine as long as you use time coded cds or vinyl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

loww
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I had the same controller as you for 18 months and decided I enjoyed DJing enough to make a proper investment. My mixing style made me choose turntables/vinyl and I've never regretted it, even as my bank balance plummets.

The way I see it, turntables give you the best of everything. The initial investment is cheaper, plus with a DVS system you can still use loops/effects and have the capacity to play both digital/vinyl only releases.

DJ Retro Blaze
05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Depends on how "convenient" you want it to be. I personally prefer turntables because of its "feel" which can never be replicated 100% by any other digital equipment (CD player or controller). But if you have plans of lugging them around at gigs, then CDJs are more convenient to bring along and lighter as well.

+1

Well said.

Pri yon Joni
05-16-2012, 05:44 AM
your decision should always be based on the platform that will maximize your skills and talents, and not convenience