PDA

View Full Version : CDJ question

chrisfornow
04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi everybody,

I've recently secured my first residency! :D :D The only issue is, I don't have much experience using CDJs.

The booth contains CDJ-900s. If I use a memory stick in the left CDJ, will the same folders appear on the right CDJ? If they don't, surely I'll need two copies of the same memory stick?

Thanks.

Chris

hoff
04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes they will as long as you have an ethernet cable connecting the two and use 'link' mode on the opposite cdj.

chrisfornow
04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Cool, thanks. Also, will the 900s be able to access my external USB hard-drive if I plug it in the same way I would plug in a memory stick? :)

hoff
04-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Yup, I think there may be some software limit as to how big the HDD can be that you plug in, but maybe I'm wrong. I suggest doing proper research before you go.

DJ STU-C
04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
what have you been practising on?? turntables/a controller??

chrisfornow
04-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Okay, I will do. Final question - if I use CDs and an ethernet cable, will I be able to access the CD on both?

EDIT. DJ STU - yes, turntables. I've had a little experience on 1000s.

DJ STU-C
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
your gonna be fine then, if you can mix on turntables you will soon pick up cdj's just remember that the cdj pitch is 10% as opposed to a 1210s which is 8 and also different lengths, so if your used to moving the pitch a certain distance for how far out of time the tracks are you will need to get used to that, and if your experienced on 1000s i dare say the platter feel is exactly the same, like a previous poster stated just research the function of the usb stick, id prefer to clone a stick incase the cdj backs are inaccesible so you cant plug an ethernet in. some clubs are flush fitted etc and if your not first on the previous dj may not want you shifting gear about while he is working

there will be downloadable instructinos for the decks on pioneer.eu

DJ STU-C
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
p.s. no i dont think you can access a cd on both with the link feature

mantis
04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
download rekordbox and analize your tracks and then use the software to write it to your usb. make a copy just for incase. you cant use cd on the link function but then again ive never tried.

chrisfornow
04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Right gotcha, thanks so much Stu. I'm reading the manual now but good shout about the flush fittings - I've seen the booth and they're not, so I'll just go with my ethernet cable. Thanks again!

EDIT. Okay thanks Mantis :)

prODucer
04-29-2012, 01:07 PM
There is actually a 6% pitch option on the cdj900s ;)

And yes I have a 2 tb external drive hooked to mine and it works amazingly well.

Era 7
04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
your gonna be fine then, if you can mix on turntables you will soon pick up cdj's just remember that the cdj pitch is 10% as opposed to a 1210s which is 8 and also different lengths, so if your used to moving the pitch a certain distance for how far out of time the tracks are you will need to get used to that

i think only the 800s have the fixed +/- 10%. all the models above have the option of +/- 6% / 10% / 16% and Wide ( +/- 100%)

DJ STU-C
04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
your right era and producer they are adjustable, but the fader is longer and they cant be adjusted to 8% so would still feel different to a turntable, i personally prefer the 10% option, i think the 6 is a bit small but each to their own i suppose. like i said though he will be fine if he has learnt to mix on vinyl they are easy to pick up, and most important of all they are easier to handle when your pissed:)

Era 7
04-29-2012, 03:36 PM
your right era and producer they are adjustable, but the fader is longer and they cant be adjusted to 8% so would still feel different to a turntable, i personally prefer the 10% option, i think the 6 is a bit small but each to their own i suppose. like i said though he will be fine if he has learnt to mix on vinyl they are easy to pick up, and most important of all they are easier to handle when your pissed:)

depends what you are mixing. with most styles of house you can get away with +/- 6% AND you can get some fine adjustments. the most i ever used on my 800s for regular mixing was 5%. but yeah it is true that he still would need to figure them out. especially getting used to the light fader. 1200s feel like the have a much greater resistence to the fader.

DJ STU-C
04-29-2012, 03:47 PM
yeah countless times when i had both techs and cdjs setup would i go for the pitch push on the cd deck after mixing on the 1210 and just smash it, the cdj pitch faders dont feel like the most expensive peace of kit do they

p.s. your right about the pitch range, above 5% and its a little fast/slow to be acceptable, although i got this wicked track lately thats jackin house but it was only pitched at 120bpm on zero so i had to pitch it to hell just to make 126bpm and i hate using the tempo button, on my serato it completely destroys the depth of the track for me