PDA

View Full Version : Is being a good producer an important part of being a good DJ?

malicion
04-28-2012, 08:49 PM
So basically last year I got into music production and just recently got into DJ'ing itself, and now im wondering whether understanding production helps you be a better DJ. Right now im mostly struggling with having good composition and getting the sounds I want when im producing. Professional producers have such good flow with their music and I cant seem to think clearly when I produce. Anyways, my question is, should I try and get better at production before jumping into DJ'ing or do they benefit each other when your learning both at the same time? (Note: my traktor s4 arrives monday)

Atomisk
04-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Personally I believe they feed off each other - learn them both at the same time. They help each other in every way possible... Phrasing, when to take instruments out or in, production techniques, sound design, how to make your songs fit into Dj sets.

Be cautious though, as a beginner youll probably enjoy DJing much more than production. DJing has a moderately low learning curve, whereas producing usually takes years to get good. Personally I learned to Dj, then produce dance music. In middle school I was playing piano, bass, guitar, and helping my audio teacher mix bands and other shit. For some reason it all took a while to come back to me. I spent so much time just DJing in my bedroom that I can't stand practicing in my room anymore. Now I just produce all day haha.. Learn both together!

login
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
No, I dont think production skills can have much influence in being a good dj. But right now all sccesfull dj's must be also producers so they get known by their music, and almost al producers make somekind of djing in order to make money from gigs.

DJNR
04-29-2012, 02:33 PM
From what I have seen personally, no. I think if people are able to balance the two truly equally, they will see an improvement in their skills. However, producing, in my opinion, is much more time consuming and everyone I know that dedicates their time to producing aren't very good DJs.

Too much time doing one thing and not the other.

sss18734
04-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Production allows you to tailor your music exactly how you want it. Not everything can be done on the fly.

Even if you're re-producing other people's music, it will make your sets better.

Hygro
04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
No, I dont think production skills can have much influence in being a good dj. But right now all sccesfull dj's must be also producers so they get known by their music, and almost al producers make somekind of djing in order to make money from gigs.

Production skills help a lot for DJing. Atomisk and I both report that producing has upped our DJ game.

You don't need to produce to learn to be a great DJ, but producing will help you be a better DJ anyway.

disparate
04-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Personally I believe they feed off each other - learn them both at the same time. They help each other in every way possible... Phrasing, when to take instruments out or in, production techniques, sound design, how to make your songs fit into Dj sets.

Agreed. Especially if you DJ on a regular basis (which I've not had the pleasure of doing yet...) the knowledge of what works with a crowd and how things sound over a big system will carry over to your production. And with production the way that you think about fitting different sounds together and so on helps you be creative with mixing.