PDA

View Full Version : CDJ 850 vs 900 (Need Advice)

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 03:58 AM
I am about to upgrade from a Traktor Kontrol S2 to CDJ's and a DJM mixer, but need some advice. I initially decided to go with the CDJ 850s and DJM 700, but started noticing some reviews saying to go for the 900 instead because of the loop quantization and LINK feature. Do those feature alone warrant me dropping around an extra $600 for the 900s? The main reason I am upgrading to this gear is to get used to the industry standard gear so I am good to go in club gigs, I won't be taking this gear around to gigs.

Also, if I do go with the 850s and DJM 700, what all would I need to get Serato running? Will both the CDJs and Mixer work fine with the software out of the box?

I appreciate the help.

hoff
04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
First of all, S2 > cdj's will not be an upgrade... just 6x more expensive with 1/4 the features and a pioneer logo on ur gear. In the end you'll have more fx, cue points, quantized loops anyway, 'link' cus everything is on your laptop ect ect with traktor and an S2.

Don't get CDJ's simply to go the 'industry standard' route. Both the 850's and 900's will be a huge DOWNGRADE in terms of available features for you and your set. But, if you realllly want to go that route, the 850's will be fine. If you aren't using them in clubs or gigs, you don't really need the link feature. If you go to a club that has 900's or 2000's (most of which don't btw, a lot still only have 1000's), then you can just bring one USB stick and use their link feature. Quantized looping is nice but not worth the extra money. The 'waveform' is also a little better on the 850s... but both are about 1000x worse than traktor.

As for mixer, look at the denon dn-x1600. It's a way better mixer than the DJM-700 and costs the same. If this shit is staying in your house you don't need to have pioneer everything.

As for your last question.. you'll need a SL box if you want to run timecode cd. MIDI on both the 850's and 900 blow.. Thats an extra 500+ dollar to add to the tab to use serato, which tells me you have no idea what you want and are simply looking for the exact setup you've seen a lot of DJ's use in clubs? If you use serato, this completely cuts the need for quantized looping and link anyway...those only apply to rekordbox analyzed files coming from a USB stick.

Sorry for the condescending reply... but maybe it will make you realize you don't need to spend well over 3k to be club ready. BTW, I've seen people use S4's a bunch of times at gigs.

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the response brah. The main reason I want to go the CDJ's/DJM route is because if I was to get a club gig right now I would have NO idea how to use their equipment and I'm not going to take a plastic controller in to gig on. I would much rather just show up and use their equipment. Money isn't an issue so I have no problem dropping cash on Pioneer products, I just want what will get me the most "club ready." What exactly makes the midi on the CDJ's blow, a lot of lag?

Andrew B
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't worry about MIDI, you won't need it. If you do plan on using SSL, then you can use HID, which is excellent.

I feel the 900s are worth the extra cost. Here's a nice comparison: http://www.djresource.eu/Topics/story/25/Ultimate-CDJ-Comparison-Chart/

I would start with CDJs and a mixer, and worry about SSL later. It's not exactly a necessity. If your main goal is to be "club-ready," then you're on the right path.

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks Andrew! Could you please aware me on HID?

Andrew B
04-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Andrew! Could you please aware me on HID?

Here's the press release: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/news/news/cdj-2000-900-firmware-3-1/index.html

The CDJ-850 is now supported as well.

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Here's the press release: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/news/news/cdj-2000-900-firmware-3-1/index.html

The CDJ-850 is now supported as well.

Nice, I really appreciate the help! One last question, for hooking into SSL with HID, would I need 3 USB slots open? For both CDJ's and my mixer? Since I am on a Mac I would need to get a USB box if so. Also, does the DJM feature a sound card that will work with Serato? How does all that work?

Andrew B
04-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Nice, I really appreciate the help! One last question, for hooking into SSL with HID, would I need 3 USB slots open? For both CDJ's and my mixer? Since I am on a Mac I would need to get a USB box if so. Also, does the DJM feature a sound card that will work with Serato? How does all that work?

You need three USB ports: one for each CDJ, and one for the Rane SL*.

*1, 2, 3, or 4

S.Michael
04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
First of all, S2 > cdj's will not be an upgrade... just 6x more expensive with 1/4 the features and a pioneer logo on ur gear. In the end you'll have more fx, cue points, quantized loops anyway, 'link' cus everything is on your laptop ect ect with traktor and an S2.

And most if not all clubs use pioneer gear, anyone that is serious about DJ'ing should understand how to use it. Not to mention actually having a set of pio CDJ's to spin on makes DJ'ing way more fun, leave the DJ hero controller to the bedrooms.

There is a reason that most professional (international) DJ's still just use CDJ's and a mixer, it is the best setup around and it is not going anywhere for a long time.

Also I just sold my 1000's for some 850's and I love them, they are great players. If you do not feel like dealing with CD's just grab two usb sticks, import your library to rekordbox, plug your USB's into the 850's and have a ball. Glad to see another taking the CDJ route and ditching the controllers!

prODucer
04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
This is my opinion. If you are going to buy cdjs to simply use them to control a DVS, don't bother. I bought my cdj900s to get away from serato and so far I have no regrets. I will probably never play in a club and honestly don't care if pioneer is the industry standard. In fact, for years I despised anything pioneer! Something about the 850s and 900s really appealed to me so I decided to give them a go. I probably could have sufficed with the 850s but I has the money so I went with the 900s. I love that I have one deck hooked to an external drive which is then linked to my other deck! My entire music library is at my fingertips and rekordbox is so easy to use when making playlists or folders of similar tunes!

I also believe that you could find a way better mixer than the djm700 for the same or even less money but that's just my opinion.

hoff
04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
leave the DJ hero controller to the bedrooms.

you should check out this article http://djworx.com/opinion-dj-gear-hate-it-has-to-stop/

mostapha
04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
I would start with CDJs and a mixer, and worry about SSL later. It's not exactly a necessity. If your main goal is to be "club-ready," then you're on the right path.

With CDJs, I think it's explicitly counterproductive. I'd use SSL with CDJs in a club, but that's because I use turntables at home.

First of all, S2 > cdj's will not be an upgrade...Yes, it is. And I don't even like Pioneer. All in one controllers suck compared to real gear, even with all their "capabilities." I put that in quotes because >90% of the time, it translates into thoughtlessly mashing up tracks and throwing effects over everything for no reason.

This is my opinion. If you are going to buy cdjs to simply use them to control a DVS, don't bother.:stupid:

Also, if you're going to use SSL, get the 850. The control structure is basically the same, and the quantization and stuff that Rekordbox gives you is irrelevant if you're just using timecode or HID. Frankly, everything on it is irrelevant, so don't buy that…find some used CDJ-1000s. They're better decks and less wasteful.

you should check out this article http://djworx.com/opinion-dj-gear-hate-it-has-to-stop/

There's a difference between ideologically supporting controllers and actually fighting the uphill battle to get them in clubs, especially when the club already has gear with a longer, more proven track record that cost a lot more. Maybe you can get away with it. Maybe he can't. Whatever. Controllers are not always better than real gear. And I honestly believe that most of the time, they're worse.

hoff
04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
There's a difference between ideologically supporting controllers and actually fighting the uphill battle to get them in clubs, especially when the club already has gear with a longer, more proven track record that cost a lot more. Maybe you can get away with it. Maybe he can't. Whatever. Controllers are not always better than real gear. And I honestly believe that most of the time, they're worse.

I'm not saying controllers are always better. I have a real $2000 mixer for a reason. It's a whole different ballgame with a real mixer vs. the faders and everything you find in controllers. All I was saying is you don't HAVE to spend all that money to be 'club ready'.

As for the upgrade thing..
I owned CDJ-850's for a while and got rid of them because I felt very limited in what I could do. They also felt like shitty plastic toys - I was surprised that they were considered industry standard.. you could feel the gears in the platter, the pitch slider was grainy feeling, not smooth by any means, and the overall construction felt like cheap plastic. I sold them and was able to afford an Audio 10 soundcard, kontrol X1 and maschine and still have cash left over. In terms of track modification, music management and construction (depending on the controller you're comparing) they felt like a downgrade to me.

So I'm not biased or trying to fight an uphill battle, I've been on both ends of the gear spectrum.. I was just offering an alternate opinion

Blueprint
04-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I use cdj1000s with traktor scratch duo - it's amazing, works flawlessly and most importantly, i don't have to burn cds anymore. then again, i don't have access to a thumb drive on my cdjs.

prODucer
04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
With CDJs, I think it's explicitly counterproductive. I'd use SSL with CDJs in a club, but that's because I use turntables at home.

Yes, it is. And I don't even like Pioneer. All in one controllers suck compared to real gear, even with all their "capabilities." I put that in quotes because >90% of the time, it translates into thoughtlessly mashing up tracks and throwing effects over everything for no reason.

:stupid:

Also, if you're going to use SSL, get the 850. The control structure is basically the same, and the quantization and stuff that Rekordbox gives you is irrelevant if you're just using timecode or HID. Frankly, everything on it is irrelevant, so don't buy that…find some used CDJ-1000s. They're better decks and less wasteful.

All I'm saying is that I'd buy a gorgeous pair of custom tech 12s and a pair of dice to control a DVS any day, over using cdjs to control one. Just my opinion. Or yes, find a pair of 1000 mk3s for half the price I guess.

I am in the process of getting my dj "booth" built with enough area that I can fit my 1200s and my cdjs together. Then I'll have the option to use either at any time I want. For now, the 12s had to find a home in the basement to make room for the cdjs.

Irrational_Fear
04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
This is my opinion. If you are going to buy cdjs to simply use them to control a DVS, don't bother. I bought my cdj900s to get away from serato and so far I have no regrets. I will probably never play in a club and honestly don't care if pioneer is the industry standard. In fact, for years I despised anything pioneer! Something about the 850s and 900s really appealed to me so I decided to give them a go. I probably could have sufficed with the 850s but I has the money so I went with the 900s. I love that I have one deck hooked to an external drive which is then linked to my other deck! My entire music library is at my fingertips and rekordbox is so easy to use when making playlists or folders of similar tunes!

I also believe that you could find a way better mixer than the djm700 for the same or even less money but that's just my opinion.

^^This was very much my take on it too.

Having used a controller for a fair while I was getting tired of looking at computer screen- as I sit in front of one all day at work as well I've decided to go back to CDJs with the only laptop involved stashed away under the desk for recording purposes.

No doubting the amount of stuff you can do on controllers vs CDJs but for me, it was starting lose some of the 'fun factor' that I had with even my archaic CD decks. As someone that DJs purely for enjoyment this meant time to go back to a computer-less setup. I just need one of my cars to sell now for some financial redistribution!

All the research I've done into them suggests the 900s are well worth the extra over the 850s if you've got it. Quantise/Link/Slip mode/100% pitch range on all formats not just cd. But as said, if you are using Serato anyway the Pio CDJs are an expensive way of doing it. Turntables, sure. But for me, CDJs = no laptop.

sephi
04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I am about to upgrade from a Traktor Kontrol S2 to CDJ's and a DJM mixer, but need some advice. I initially decided to go with the CDJ 850s and DJM 700, but started noticing some reviews saying to go for the 900 instead because of the loop quantization and LINK feature. Do those feature alone warrant me dropping around an extra $600 for the 900s? The main reason I am upgrading to this gear is to get used to the industry standard gear so I am good to go in club gigs, I won't be taking this gear around to gigs.

Also, if I do go with the 850s and DJM 700, what all would I need to get Serato running? Will both the CDJs and Mixer work fine with the software out of the box?

I appreciate the help.

Those features don't warrant the substantial cost increase. That stuff is made redundant or simply pointless by Traktor or Scratch Live. If you are using a DVS, you could be on 800MK2s or some iteration of 1000s for all it matters (and those are still "club standard" kit). Both the 850 and 900 have HID, which is the one cool thing that they bring to a DVS setup.

I strongly suggest buying a better mixer for the money than the 700. I'd take an A&H, Ecler, Rane, etc. over a Pioneer any day. Going from a Xone at home to an 800/900/whatever at the club will not throw you for a loop, trust me.

To get Scratch Live running, all you need is a $250 used SL1, which you plug in between the CD decks and the mixer. There are higher end SL boxes, but most of them are essentially just the SL1 with a few extras - some of which may matter to you, most of which probably won't. In any case, the cost of SL will be less than the cost of going up to high end CD decks whose features will just be made redundant by SL's features.

Link to the other thread: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?6640-Would-you-consider-this-a-good-upgrade-in-gear

The CD decks will be an upgrade, if for no other reason than that they make a more fault-tolerant setup than an all-in-one controller. I've watched people bow out of gigs and even be tossed off stage due to controller problems (if anything on your controller borks, it's not like you can switch out the offending deck without switching out the entire controller). On the other hand, with either set of CD decks you have the options of playing even if the computer pukes on itself, playing even if your CDs or USB drives are jacked up, and switching out decks or the mixer if a component fails. You have multiple layers of fallback plans. That is nigh priceless.

Gnozis
04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
You guys have been a great help. I am going to go with the 900's and not worry about running software, just have one USB drive and use LINK. Also, getting the DJM 700 with them scored me a really good deal from Pro Audio star, so I am going to go with that set up.

Irrational_Fear
04-30-2012, 03:32 AM
You guys have been a great help. I am going to go with the 900's and not worry about running software, just have one USB drive and use LINK. Also, getting the DJM 700 with them scored me a really good deal from Pro Audio star, so I am going to go with that set up.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this once you've got them up and running- I've found a great deal on this exact setup too. Looking to get them in the next few weeks :tup:

prODucer
04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Cool man! Let us know what u think! I recently divorced my wife and married my cdj900s so I'm pretty certain you will like em! ;)

Just kidding, still happily married to my wife whom actually lets me buy all these expensive toys!

Bassline Brine
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Like others have stated, I don't see the point in having CDJ's if you're going to be using a computer in the setup. It's one of the great draws of CDJ's to be honest with you, because burning CD's or using Thumbdrives is so simple. And with rekordbox... it's a cakewalk from what I can tell.

If you do want to use software, I'd think about getting turntables. For most of us we can't justify the cost of keeping up with vinyl releases, so DVS is the best method to go for. I don't think I'll ever get rid of my TT's, but there is something to be said for not having a computer in the setup. It's the only thing I've ever second-guessed myself about buying my current setup, because as much as I love it, not having a computer involved would be really nice.

I understand your pain though. I haven't really had a chance to play around with CDJ's for a good while to get used to spinning on them for when the time will come that I'll need to. Even thinking about getting a few buddies together and throwing down to rent a pair (since we all have turntables or controllers) for a couple nights just to get us all familiar with the basics on them. I can't afford to buy them in addition to my setup at the moment, so we'll see what happens.

Best of luck though, sounds like you're going down the right track :) And for what it's worth, I'd go with the 900's if I was able to. The little things make all the difference sometimes.

DJ Highline
05-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes, it is. And I don't even like Pioneer. All in one controllers suck compared to real gear, even with all their "capabilities." I put that in quotes because >90% of the time, it translates into thoughtlessly mashing up tracks and throwing effects over everything for no reason.

You can't say that a piece of equipment sucks because of how the user uses it...That's likes saying a Ferrari sucks because your grandmother is driving it in the fast lane on the highway at 30mph.

This I will agree with. Why buy an expensive player that has features that will be done by the software of your choice.

What does the cost of DJ gear have to do with it being better or worse especially in the sense of how an individual will use the gear? At the end of the day its all about what comes out of the speakers. The how does not matter. So what if the OP puts his S2 in the booth and plug into the mixer that is there. It doesn't matter. What matters is did he give the crowd what they needed when they needed it to make the event a success?

I think in the future, you will see more and more club booths designed with black space for DJs to bring their own set-ups. As a club owner, why spend $6000 on a pair of CDJ-2000 and DJM2000 when I can just leave empty space and let the DJ bring their controller, which they will be more comfortable on anyway? Times are changing. And this is coming from someone thats been spinning for well over 15 years.

Finnish_Fox
05-04-2012, 12:01 AM

I appreciate the help.

The LINK feature is sweet. 1 USB and I can play tracks on both decks.

Alpine_Ent
08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I run serato with ttm56s and two 1200s with some dicers. But i am considering an upgrade to CDJ 850s to run with serato. I carry my coffin around for all gigs and it is quite a heavy beast to carry around. Nothing undoable but with the CDJs I could save on same weight (40lbs or more since coffin is smaller), space on my dj table (I do mobile gigs, and if i run light controller laptop and other stuff space gets tight).

But i am so hesitant to do it, i love the feels of CDJs but there is something about technics that I love as well. Main reason i went with technics in the first place was the price, i got them $500/pair used, vs CDJ800s at the time were like $800 each or so. Saved a lot of money and having just the platter to use was a no brainer, now with actually having a play and cue scrolling and loops included in the CDJs it could actually be worth the upgrade. I will have to think about it for a while tho.

iammongo
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
The reason you buy the 900s is flexibility. I carry 900's with Traktor. Sometimes i use full DVS. Sometimes i just jam USB sticks in the players. When i set up at a wedding reception i will throw a stick into the players and run a playlist of dinner music. That gives me an extra hour before i have to bother turning my laptop on....same thing goes for the end of the night when i start packing up...toss a stick in and I can power down my laptop and pack it away first.

If you can afford the better players them get them, you won't regret it.

ben mills
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I've never used the 900, but I didn't like the feel of the jog on the 850. If the 900 has the jog dial resistance wheel, that's worth a lot on its own, I think. When you really crank that thing down to as tight as it can go, it will make your fine tune adjustments a lot smoother and easier.

djlukewathey
09-16-2012, 04:37 AM
i was having the same problem with deciding weather to get the 850s or 900s, i currently have a djm700 which i bought about 3 months ago, and to be honest i really love it, so highly recomended if you can really afford the djm 850 or the nexus,

when i was doing my research on the 850s and 900s i found that there are only minor differences which i feel dont really justify the price, you have the slip mode on the 900s which is cool but i dont really need it, also the loops on the 900 will cut down to millidrops (well thats what i think they call it) which is just chopping the beats into smaller amounts, apart from that and the bigger screen oh and digital out and a different soundcard, so i would weigh up if the few extra features are going to benifit you.

for me they dont so i will be picking mine up next month.

theritcha
09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
y dont you rent the gear 1st,see wat ye think of it,thats what i would do,you wouldnt buy a car just 4 a test drive

DJNR
09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I've never used the 900, but I didn't like the feel of the jog on the 850. If the 900 has the jog dial resistance wheel, that's worth a lot on its own, I think. When you really crank that thing down to as tight as it can go, it will make your fine tune adjustments a lot smoother and easier.

It doesn't. You have to get in 2000 range for that.

stranded
09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
I have 2 cdj 850 and completely love them. I came from technics 1200 for so many years and finally decided to get the 850's and never looked back. Got tired of dirty needles and the weight from lugging them around was a pain in the a$$. I was in the same boat a year ago whether to go for the 850 or 900. I decided to go for the 850 cuz it was cheaper and the extra options didnt justify the extra money. If you're gonna go for the 900 you can get the 2000 for just a little more. Now if the 900 had the same display as the 2000 i think i would have went for them. As you can see the 850 and 900 wave displays look identical. I use serato with the 850 and just in case something goes wrong with my laptop i can still mix from a thumb drive for backup. I've run HID mode with them and probably only had 1 hiccup at all of my events i did last year.

Irrational_Fear
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I have 2 cdj 850 and completely love them. I came from technics 1200 for so many years and finally decided to get the 850's and never looked back. Got tired of dirty needles and the weight from lugging them around was a pain in the a$$. I was in the same boat a year ago whether to go for the 850 or 900. I decided to go for the 850 cuz it was cheaper and the extra options didnt justify the extra money. If you're gonna go for the 900 you can get the 2000 for just a little more. Now if the 900 had the same display as the 2000 i think i would have went for them. As you can see the 850 and 900 wave displays look identical. I use serato with the 850 and just in case something goes wrong with my laptop i can still mix from a thumb drive for backup. I've run HID mode with them and probably only had 1 hiccup at all of my events i did last year.

I completely agree that if using them for controlling software the extra features of the 900 are not worth it, I'd take the 850 instead all day and save the cash.

As stand alone players however (no software), I reckon the 900s are well worth the extra cash- the quantizing, D-link, slip mode, and being able to use 100% pitch range on mp3s (not just CDs) were the deal breaker for me, and there are more besides. :)

The 2000s were double the price of the 850s when I was looking, where-as the 900s were an extra £200 per deck (here in the UK at least!).

Delta V
09-27-2012, 08:35 PM
able to use 100% pitch range on mp3s (not just CDs)

So if you use a USB stick on the 850s you do not have 100% pitch range?

Also, I've looked but just want to confirm, both the 850 and 900 have .02 resolution at 6%, and .05 at everything else (also assuming USB stick)?

I'm tired of burning CDs so I too am looking at both of these decks or an S4. Kinda want to keep independence from the laptop though.

Irrational_Fear
09-28-2012, 04:23 AM
So if you use a USB stick on the 850s you do not have 100% pitch range?

Also, I've looked but just want to confirm, both the 850 and 900 have .02 resolution at 6%, and .05 at everything else (also assuming USB stick)?

I'm tired of burning CDs so I too am looking at both of these decks or an S4. Kinda want to keep independence from the laptop though.

Yeah I'm certain it's just the 900 & 2000 that have the 100% range across all formats (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!). I'd have thought they would have included this on all their 'new' range of CDJs, but I guess it comes down to product differentiation.

As for choosing between the 850 & 900 though, particularly if like me you are keen to keep it a 'laptop-free' setup, then the d-link feature on the 900s (sharing one usb stick) would be a far greater decision maker. I use a single 320Gb hard-drive plugged into one player for all my music. Oh and if you're not using software then the quantise feature for seamless looping (with Rekordbox analysed tracks) is also fantastic.

And yes you are correct on the pitch resolutions. Although I sisn't realise for 3 weeks that they start in the 10% range as default- I really didn't notice much difference between that and the 6% range, but that is likely my just personal opinion as someone used to much older players where even .5 pitch resolution was a pipe dream!

Edited to add: I went and had a good demo on a pair of the new Denon SC2900 players last weekend and in my opinion they are better players than the CDJ900 in almost every respect except the screen. If you are buying brand new, these are a fair bit cheaper than the 900 and are basically a CDJ2000 but without the full colour screen (they have EVERYTHING the 900 has- including slip mode-, plus hot-cues, jogwheel adjust, same player track cue-ing, and plenty more). And they have probably the best jog-wheel I've ever used. The screen isn't quite as good as the 900 but more than useable. :)

Delta V
09-28-2012, 05:39 PM
How does your USB Stick or hard drive have to be formatted for the 900 or 850? Can you have folders within folders?

Like..

Drum & Bass -> Liquid -> 9/29/12 -> track.mp3

DJNR
09-28-2012, 05:42 PM
How does your USB Stick or hard drive have to be formatted for the 900 or 850? Can you have folders within folders?

Like..

Drum & Bass -> Liquid -> 9/29/12 -> track.mp3

It has to be formatted windows file format (Fat). You can have it organized in folders assuming you are using rekordbox.

Delta V
09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Ah thanks, just found this:

Folder tree is max 8 levels deep

Max number of folders on media (SD/USB) : 10,000
Max files on media per folder (SD/USB) : 10,000

I've read if it's really cluttered with folders it will search / load slower. I'll probably just use several 8 gig sticks at first, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Irrational_Fear
09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Ah thanks, just found this:

I've read if it's really cluttered with folders it will search / load slower. I'll probably just use several 8 gig sticks at first, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mine is a 350gb drive with about 95gb of music on it (plus about 30gb of non-music stuff that is in quite a mess) and it loads instantly- and I mean instantly. You turn on the CDJ, plug the usb in, switch it to usb and there is the music. Press the Link button on the second player and the instant you press it the folder menu appears on the second player too. It actually amazes me how instantly it reads it, I guess thats part of the benefit of having your music analysed by Rekordbox then exported to the usb. So I really wouldn't worry about size of usb drives slowing down the searching!

Likewise navigating through folders is seemless, there is no loading pause what-so-ever when I switch between folders/playlists etc, everything is instant so I wouldn't worry too much about size.

And yes, as DJNR says within Rekordbox you can set up your memory sticks with whatever folders/playlists you like.