PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts n Stuff VS. Aural Psynapse

Syrer
04-27-2012, 11:51 PM
The other day I wanted to do a mashup of 2 deadmau5 songs so I picked randomly picked Ghosts n Stuff and Aural Psynapse and it is really good :DD

Here's the mashup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mKZnL20MAs&fmt=22

Honestly youtube quality isn't the best so for the full effect you can download it for free in the video description.

Manu
04-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Sounds out of key and drifts regularly out of sync. You need more practice.

Syrer
04-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Sorry i'm only 15

Synergy
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Well Manu, u could have told him what he needed to do instead of just saying you need more practice lol. help the guy out? I haven't been up on any Deadmau5 stuff because i kinda don't like him anymore lol. but i do know ghosts n stuff...so here is what i think:

your levels are off, the bass is too high, try turning it down in one of the tracks, or both. they don't seem to go together too well but they may work if you can tweak out some key elements of each track to mix in. :)

May just be the master but you are clipping throughout this whole track. The point of a mashup is to take parts of each track and combine it for a separate track. it seems you have just laid 2 tracks on top of each other. try adductive and subjective mashing. it could work just gotta get there. really watch those levels because it would sound...ALRIGHT if you could get those fixed. not a GREAT mashup but it would be interesting...

beatgrid your music in more detail, I'm with Manu, it does seem to drift a little.

keep at it man, you can get it worked out.

Sween
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
The songs are out of key. You need to adjust the key of one song. You also can't double up the songs on the low EQ... it's very muddy.

Here's a little example. I hopped into Ableton and lined up the songs and created two clips that I think sound better... I also did a quick little Low EQ work on them to reduce the mud. This took me less than 10 minutes and I didn't play with the grooves... so please don't criticize.

First one with 'Ghosts' dropped 3 semitones:
http://soundcloud.com/sweenracer76/ghost-psynapse

Second one with 'Aural' raised 3 semitones:
http://soundcloud.com/sweenracer76/aural-stuff

Synergy
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The songs are out of key. You need to adjust the key of one song. You also can't double up the songs on the low EQ... it's very muddy.

Here's a little example. I hopped into Ableton and lined up the songs and created two clips that I think sound better... I also did a quick little Low EQ work on them to reduce the mud. This took me less than 10 minutes and I didn't play with the grooves... so please don't criticize.

First one with 'Ghosts' dropped 3 semitones:
http://soundcloud.com/sweenracer76/ghost-psynapse

Second one with 'Aural' raised 3 semitones:
http://soundcloud.com/sweenracer76/aural-stuff

awesome suggestions and it sounds sooo much better! they actually do go together now :). pretty rad if he can get them to sound right...has potential!

Syrer
04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Well I think it sounds fine the way it is.

Sween
04-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Well I think it sounds fine the way it is.

Maybe you're tone deaf...

Seriously. Not trying to be a jerk... but I was trying to help you. But if you can't hear the difference than maybe producing music or mashups is not for you.

Syrer
04-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree that it sounds different but I think the way I did it sounds better because of the 1 measure that i sample from aural psynapse for like half of the song, I don't care about the key as long as it sounds good.

Sween
04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree that it sounds different but I think the way I did it sounds better because of the 1 measure that i sample from aural psynapse for like half of the song, I don't care about the key as long as it sounds good.

But it doesn't.....

I did not sample anything because I was demonstrating the issues with scale and EQ/Mastering. Mine is not a serious mashup. Although I would not consider yours to be either.

Whatever, you're 15 and you know it all. Enjoy your bedroom career.

Boomcie
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
See what happens when you offer help on DJF

Syrer
04-28-2012, 10:22 PM
lolwut

Syrer
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
No need to be a dick about not agreeing with me. And I didn't said I know everything, I said what I cared about.

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
No need to be a dick about not agreeing with me. And I didn't said I know everything, I said what I cared about.

Their point is that you aren't open to their help brah. You have to realize that these guys have been doing this for years and have loads of experience. They said themselves that your mashup has potential, which is great! You just don't have enough experience to know the finer details of what you should be doing and that is what they are helping you with. Sween took time out of his night to throw together examples for you because that's what we do on this site, we bounce ideas off of each other and help each other improve. My advice is to be open minded, try out the advice that the experienced DJ's in here are giving you, and see how it turns out!

Syrer
04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Gnozis
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
No problem man. I have been on this forum since I was a teenager and was just starting out in VDJ with my keyboard and mouse. I couldn't begin to tell you how much the community here has helped me grow as both a DJ and producer. I understand that when you create something on your own, you will get pumped and think you are the man, but if you can keep humble and take the advice given I promise that you will grow in all aspects of your skill set.

Manu
04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Well Manu, u could have told him what he needed to do instead of just saying you need more practice lol. help the guy out?

Well I only pointed out the obvious flaws, because in the first place he wasn't asking for help. Furthermore he seemed pleased with the result (as in "...and it is really good :DD " ) so I assumed he knows the basics of DJing. Hence why I didn't go through the effort of breaking it down like you did.

And sometimes you should care. Throwing off key can and will work with traditional DJ mixing, but when it comes to mashups, that's a different story. Like I said, you need more practice, and apparently to take advice from more experienced people a little more seriously. If you don't then you're not helping yourself. One tip though: you also got EQ and gain to learn, use them.

I haven't been up on any Deadmau5 stuff because i kinda don't like him anymore lol. but i do know ghosts n stuff...

He's done some good stuff, and not so good stuff. Overall not bad but he seems to be into rinse/repeat mode recently, though kudos because he does a lot of work.