PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pioneer products

Gnozis
04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
What's up DJF. I decide it's time to upgrade to the industry standard gear since I want to start pursuing club gigs and I think I am going to go with 2 CDJ 850's and a DJM 700-S. I am going to order from DJDeals.com, but I had a question. I noticed that the black CDJ's, which they call the 850-K, cost a little over a hundred more a piece than the normal, silver 850's. The same goes for the DJM-700. I did a quick Google search and nothing came up, could anyone explain what the difference is? Thanks!

OONS
04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Only color and price. Same reason the white CDJ-2000's cost a few hundred more. It's the "oh look I'm cool" factor.

Gnozis
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Only color and price. Same reason the white CDJ-2000's cost a few hundred more. It's the "oh look I'm cool" factor.

Wow, really? Explains why I can't find the difference, I appreciate the answer.

DJ STU-C
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
ridiculous isnt it

Gnozis
04-27-2012, 05:05 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/214412/wtfjaguars.gif

Sublim&All
04-29-2012, 04:39 AM

The internet is huge, but I couldn't imagine finding a gif explaining it better :lol:

hoff
04-29-2012, 12:15 PM

hahahahhahaha

yup. this explains pioneers pricing exactly

JonAvalon
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
The black and silver 850s technically go for the same price, but in djdeals case they are offering the silver for a little bit cheaper at the moment. Its not that the black cost more, that is the normal price for the 850s. Same goes for the DJM-700, although not really seeing what you are talking about for the DJM as its the same price on djdeals and most stores.

prODucer
04-29-2012, 01:16 PM
It's weird but the silver cdjs look cheaper and I read some where that no one was buying them so they made a black version. I'll admit though, color does play a factor in choices I have made.

ampnation
04-29-2012, 01:23 PM
There are times when "color" can cost the company more. Having worked briefly in the injection molding business, certain raw product colors can cost more, esp. something like pearl white. Not saying that is the case here, in fact I doubt it, but for the limited edition pearl white versions Pioneer is putting out that probably is true to SOME extent.

M!TCH
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm not cool enough to play on anything other than silver or black so Pearl White is out of the question. Most of the time, coloring schemes cost more because people like the "wow" factor you get with it. Like amp said, product costs can contribute as well though.

Nicadraus
05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
The only difference is the color and nothing else. I wouldn't spend another $100+ for each gear just because of the color unless money is not an issue with you. But that $300+ could get you a really nice pair of headphones plus something else. :)

Fred McLovin
05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
you should stay away from the djm700 tho... its one of the most awful sounding mixer to ever be put on the market !! WORD!

chris15060
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
you should stay away from the djm700 tho... its one of the most awful sounding mixer to ever be put on the market !! WORD!

Very true! If you're planning on going with "Industry Standard" May want to look into the DJM800 or the Nexus900 if you're looking to stay with Pioneer that is. Could also go the Allen and Heath Route though.

Finnish_Fox
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
There are times when "color" can cost the company more. Having worked briefly in the injection molding business, certain raw product colors can cost more, esp. something like pearl white. Not saying that is the case here, in fact I doubt it, but for the limited edition pearl white versions Pioneer is putting out that probably is true to SOME extent.

Its not just cost of supplies that can cause one color to be more expensive than another. It also has to do with production costs - specifically the cost-per-unit. If the limited edition cost more to produce since it is a smaller production run, you can bet that will be passed along to the customer.

Needless to say, no idea if that is what is happening, just sayin'...

Finnish_Fox
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
But that $300+ could get you a really nice pair of headphones plus something else. :)

So just substitute one excess for another?

g-sep
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM

^This. I'm enrolled in an injection molding class right now and have been learning about some of this this semester. Colorants can cause complications with the molding process, perhaps requiring them to increase holding pressure or some other shit like that, which in turn drives cost up or down.

Finnish_Fox
05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
My guess is that this isn't some elaborate plan by Pioneer to extract another hundred dollars because they can as much as a situation in which they are passing along the costs to the customer while maintaining the same profit margin on it.

Fred McLovin
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Very true! If you're planning on going with "Industry Standard" May want to look into the DJM800 or the Nexus900 if you're looking to stay with Pioneer that is. Could also go the Allen and Heath Route though.

Denon dnx1600 is a damn good mixer too, I have the dnx1700 and I wouldn't switch it even for a djm900 nexus !