PDA

View Full Version : DJ'ing for a rapper/MC tips...?

DJ Weatherman
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
So, someone who regularly attends my shows asked me awhile back if i would be interested in djing for him while he performs, hes an mc/rap artist, i told him sure, why not and i didnt think much of it until he contacted me the other day to open for a well known artist here in LA

Im typically a club dj, top40/hiphop/electro/mashups etc, never dj'ed for a rap artist live. The show we are doing is for Andre Nickotina in LA, super early timeslot 8pm-830...

Any any advice on how to go about approaching this kind of a gig?

We are going to get together next week to go over the set/performance, and im sure alot of it will come together at that point, but any advice, do's/donts, advice on my role as a dj for a rap artist would be very helpful.

Thanks djf

Socks
04-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Im sure at the meeting youll clear it up but all i can suggest is dont scratch when mc's on the mic :lol:

Divewire
04-27-2012, 03:18 PM
This is my primary DJ role. Like Socks said, do not scratch over their vocals. Get to know the tracks by heart so you know where to insert a scratch. The performer will not want you to mix tracks, as they need a space between songs for applause and shout outs. Do not alter the playback of their backing track in the slightest, unless they request something like that. In some cases, the MC will not mind if you rock the initial beat of the track back and forth with a baby scratch, but any alteration of the track itself will throw the performer off beat.

rchecka
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Learn how to juggle if you really want to impress the MC.
Nothing like a DJ who juggles through a whole song using OG breaks with perfect timing.

Sigma
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
The things you could/would do are: -

1. Back to backing a beat for the MC to rhyme over. It ain't really juggling, cos that's taking 2 copies of a tune and making something totally new out of it. It's pretty basic stuff, but you've gotta be on the money with the timing.

2. Cutting in vocal samples from other tracks in place of parts of the MC's rhymes. One of my favourite things to do along with scratched hooks.

3. Scratched hooks. If you're using a DVS (which you pretty much have to, unless you go for a custom vinyl press) you can lay out some of it in advance and then cut other bits live over the top.

4. Scratch solos. Cutting up samples at the end of the song, for example.

But then again, I'm not sure if you're talking about being an integral part of the performance (which the above applies to) or whether you're just gonna be playing some tunes before the MC comes on, kind of as a warm up act. If it's the latter, then just bang out some appropriate hip-hop tunes that'll get the crowd hyped.

DJ Boom Bap
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I disagree with the scratching, I do probably 5-6 rap concerts a year. It's ok to lightly scratch or "floss" the beat they are rapping to, but you need to comunicate with the rapper before hand. If they suck, they will lose their train of thought with some cuts and get pissed at you.

If you drop (line fader) the beat, it is also cool (in moderation).

Also, tell them, if they are into it, that explosions at the end of every song is wack as fuck!

Sigma
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
^^Obviously you have to plan it out so you're not cutting over the guy's lyrics, but a DJ/MC duo without any scratching begs the question "why even bother having a DJ?".

DjDisArm
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
I disagree with the scratching, I do probably 5-6 rap concerts a year. It's ok to lightly scratch or "floss" the beat they are rapping to, but you need to comunicate with the rapper before hand. If they suck, they will lose their train of thought with some cuts and get pissed at you.

If you drop (line fader) the beat, it is also cool (in moderation).

Also, tell them, if they are into it, that explosions at the end of every song is wack as fuck!
lolol

DJ Que Yi
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Great advice from everyone! I think everything was covered. Especially the bombs being wack as fuck! Lol!