PDA

View Full Version : iZotope Iris

thehadgi
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
How cool does this look -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUxOojmoiY&feature=relmfu

Find music in everything with this new visual instrument

iZotope, Inc. has released iZotope Iris™, a new concept in sound design and sample manipulation in the form of a “visual instrument.”

Powered by iZotope’s award-winning visual feedback technology, Iris lets you unearth a world of sounds you’ve never heard before. Delve into Iris’s spectrogram to extract, layer, manipulate, and discover new sounds from within any audio file. With extended synthesis features, hundreds of presets, and 4 GB of source material, Iris is an impressive tool for sound design, musical inspiration, and sonic experimentation.

Iris Key Features
Discover what’s hidden: Bring any audio file into Iris and isolate the most interesting spectral portions with a comprehensive set of easy-to-use selection tools. Play your completely custom sound instantly from any MIDI controller.

Become a mad sonic scientist: Create new textures and dramatic soundscapes by layering multiple sounds from similar or completely diverse audio sources.

Stay musical: Rely on intelligent root note detection to help shape musical material from noise, ambient textures, and soundscapes, then use advanced controls to tweak, modulate, and add effects to taste—all powered by iZotope’s award-winning DSP.

Start playing immediately: A world of sound design is at your fingertips, with hundreds of presets from world-class sound designers and 4 GB of audio samples, including recordings of insects, animals, machines, vintage synthesizers, musical instruments and much more.

Even More Sounds
In addition, iZotope has released two complementary sound libraries designed exclusively for use with Iris: Glass and Wood. A bundled version of Iris, Glass and Wood, Iris+2, is also available at a special price.

Glass ($49 MSRP) is a shimmering collection of glass ambiences, reimagined via Iris’s spectral selection capabilities. A lyrical study in lush chords, shining leads, and soothing basses, Glass transforms sonic experiments into accessible musical inspiration. Within the 100 patches of Glass, you’ll hear exploits with bottles, mirrors, marbles, glasses, shards, and even glassblowing torches. The resulting sounds are inviting, uplifting, and unusual. This library is for players exploring original sound design in a musical and meaningful context.

Wood ($29 MSRP) is an adventurous assortment of creatively-recorded samples, all produced from our friends, the trees. Made entirely of unusual wooden encounters, Wood fully embodies the creative potential of Iris’s visual selections. From basket smashing to door slamming, from drumming on guitars to grandma’s creaky deckchair, Wood pushes musical boundaries as each texture evolves. Blending dense and earthy tones into complex layers, Wood’s 100 patches sound like an avant-garde composition right out of the box.

Pricing and Availability
Iris is available now for a special introductory price of $149 through April 30, 2012, a $100 savings off the MSRP of $249.
Iris+2 (including Glass and Wood Sound Libraries) is available now for $199, a $100 savings off the MSRP of $299.
Glass ($49) and Wood ($29) are also now available for individual purchase, and compatible exclusively with Iris.

For Iris screen pictures and press release in MS Word format, visit: IZTP_041712_Iris

For more product information, demos, and ordering information, visit iZotope Iris | OVERVIEW.

You can draw stuff in and such. On the list of thing I'd spend money on this is nowhere near the top at the moment, but still a pretty cool instrument. Seems like a really good instrument for people looking to get organic sounds, and some different ambient flavors. Never used reaktor so I'm not sure of the similarities (if any), but when I run out of fun with normal synthesis I might give this a go down the line.

ezelkow1
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I played around with the demo a bit, but since I already own alchemy it didnt really bring me anything new. Sure it had a little better interface. Not sure what Izotope is thinking with their pricing, it might be ok at their intro price, but after that I cant see anyone spending 250 on this when things like alchemy, metasynth, and harmor exist. Same thing they did with stutteredit

Adzm00
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Doesn't seem all that expensive at all?

ezelkow1
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Doesn't seem all that expensive at all?

Yea right now it isnt, its their final non-promo price that seems high. Same thing they did with stutteredit, intro at 125-150 seems ok, but a final price of 250$, for stuttering?? So same here, a final price of 250 when theres stuff like alchemy, harmor, poseidon, all that can do alot more and either cost the same or less

Of course diff strokes, thats just the way I see it and since I already have comparable software I didnt see value in it if you already have something like that. If you can see a use for it then sure, at the promo price it might be good to grab it. Past the promo though it wouldnt seem worth it