PDA

View Full Version : Wharfedale Delta 215 cabs

richard stringer
04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Anyone heard the Wharfedale Delta 215 cabs yet? They look pretty nice, but obviously looks and sound are two different things. I'm wondering if they'd be better sound quality than my Peavey SP4 cabs.

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/PASSIVELOUDSPEAKERS/DELTASERIES/DELTA215/tabid/421/Default.aspx

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Like all fifteen loaded two way cabs they don't work as well in the mids as ten or twelve loaded cabs, and used stand alone won't work as well as separate mains and subs.

jayhwk
04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
You are probably better off with your Peaveys - at least the SP4 is a 2.5 way (not all frequencies go to both woofers).

Al Poulin
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I would have to agree the Peaveys are probably the better sounding of the two. Simply comparing the many Peavey models I've heard vs. the Wharfedale cabs I've heard, the Peaveys have generally sounded better and more hifi. The Wharfedales, while always LOUD - never make me want to crank them up in smaller places. They simply don't have the smooth mids and sweeter top end many people look for, especially with playback music. For band use, the Wharfedales probably do better...

Al

richard stringer
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah my Peavey cabs are ok, I mean they're fairly loud, but the midrange clarity leaves a lot to be desired. Next year i'm gonna save up for a pair of used Nexo PS15 cabs to go on top of my two JBL SRX728S subs, but I thought i'd ask about the Wharfedales anyway.

jayhwk
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I like the PS series - there's a contractor around town who has been installing them the last couple of years. I think they sound excellent.

Al, I would have to disagree with you that "smooth mids" and "sweet top end" aren't as important for live music. For a bar band who wants to just make noise, maybe they don't need the clarity, but almost all of vocal intelligibility is in the mid and upper frequency ranges. An audience won't notice if there are a bit too little mid frequencies in the guitar or other instrument mix (unless they play that particular instrument), but they will notice and complain if they can't hear the vocals.

richard stringer
04-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah the Nexo PS series sound excellent, i'd rather have a pair of Turbosound TQ440 cabs but finding them is harder than trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.