PDA

View Full Version : Used Moving Heads for $1,500?

Eskae
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm looking to get some used moving heads for $1,500 each or less.
Any suggestions?
From a company located in LA would be prefferable.. such as Elation,
so I can get things fixed quickly if need be.

On Craigslist I found an Elation Platinum 5R. Is that a good option?

GaFFLe
04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
It seems like the Elation Platinum Spot 5r is the best option for your price range but I think you'll be forced to buy used units at $1500 each, unless you buy in bulk. Some people will root for a well built Martin Mac solution but you'll still be getting a used unit that mostly likely was part of some company's inventory. Also, the feature sets of older Martin units are just that, old... plus the size and weight work against them. A lot has to be said about Martin's build quality though.

I am not in your same $money market when it comes to moving heads... I'm trying to stay under $1500 for a pair, LoL. Have you checked out the Blizzard Torrent 90's? It seems like they've had a spurious price hike recently but I believe they're still under $1500 new.

You may want to investigate if there were/are any issues with the 5r standard versions as I've read that early models had some issue. They now make a 5r Pro. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 5r's.

BillESC
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
It's probably a first generation 5r and they had problems. I'll second Blizzards Torrent 90 mover, under $ 1500.00 delivered to your door with a full warranty.

sss18734
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Elation Design Spot Pro's can be had for that price brand new.

Are there certain features that you must have?

Eskae
04-29-2012, 08:07 PM
One of my friends is suggesting a Clay Paky Sharpy clone for $1,200 new..
Does that seem like a decent option?

I really actually don't know shit about lighting, just trying to get some decent moving heads for small-midsized events.
I like moving heads with nice patterns to project on the wall behind the DJ and on the dancefloor.

Synaxis
04-29-2012, 08:21 PM

I really actually don't know shit about lighting, just trying to get some decent moving heads for small-midsized events.
I like moving heads with nice patterns to project on the wall behind the DJ and on the dancefloor.

What do you mean by a "clone?" Unbranded knock offs?

If you going to spend thousands of dollars on some moving heads, get some from a reputable company WITH a warranty.

Otherwise your screwed if they malfunction.

What do you consider "Small/mid-sized" events? How many people? How large of a venue?

Eskae
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I do sound for events typically 200-1,000 people. Looking to ad some moving heads, one on top of each speaker stack.

LiteTrix
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Just so you know, Clay Paky has been really cracking down on people buying and distributing clones of their fixtures. Specifically the Sharpy. There have been charges placed upon companies and people before. Don't support knock-off companies in china. Theres a reason why the Sharpy costs what it does. Support companies with buying their own genuine. Not the Chinese knock-off companies that steal business from the real guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clay-Paky-SHARPY-Clone-Phillips-5R-LAMP-INCLUDED-189W-BEAM-Light-NEW-/270933473877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f14e4ba55#ht_2643wt_1092. <<<<<<<<<<< Is this what your thinking of buying?

EDIT: Like a previous post said. Design spots are your best option with what your working with. They been proven to have a decent reliability rate. Sharpy's aren't really needed for 1000 person events. Besides Knock-off Sharpy's aren't anywhere near the real deal.

Eskae
04-30-2012, 02:20 AM
So the Elation Platinum Spot 5R on Craigslist is probably defective eh?

Another guy just posted a bunch of Elation Design Spot 250s..
Should I get that instead?
He's asking 1,200 each.. is that a good price or can I low ball him a bit?

BillESC
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Take a look at Blizzard's Torrent 90 moving head. Under $ 1500.00 delivered.

http://blizzardlighting.com/index.php/torrent90

lovedjlovelaser
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM
The moving head I have is only 420USD,with one year warranty.
http://www.eightonlight.cn/en/productview.asp?ID=18

Synaxis
05-07-2012, 11:40 PM
The moving head I have is only 420USD,with one year warranty.
http://www.eightonlight.cn/en/productview.asp?ID=18

:spam:??

He is not looking for a wash...

sss18734
05-08-2012, 01:45 AM
So the Elation Platinum Spot 5R on Craigslist is probably defective eh?

Another guy just posted a bunch of Elation Design Spot 250s..
Should I get that instead?
He's asking 1,200 each.. is that a good price or can I low ball him a bit?

They can be found for around $1400-$1500 brand new. I personally wouldn't consider them over $1K a piece used.

deejaygo
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
No mention of Martin Macs?

Nick_EventPro
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
They can be found for around $1400-$1500 brand new. I personally wouldn't consider them over $1K a piece used.

Can you show us where you see them at this price brand new.. because no offense, but I don't think you can.

No mention of Martin Macs?

The MAC 250 line is getting old, and its heavier, larger, and not as bright as the new options hitting the market... and its getting discontinued from what I hear. That's not to say its not a hell of a light- because it is, I just think there are better options...

sss18734
05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Can you show us where you see them at this price brand new.. because no offense, but I don't think you can.

I've never found them online for that cheap, but we have a local dealer that stocks them for around that. Shipping wouldn't be a bit much, though.

Nick_EventPro
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
I've never found them online for that cheap, but we have a local dealer that stocks them for around that. Shipping wouldn't be a bit much, though.

That's a good price. He sells them at that price all day? Or are you good friends with him?
Shipping isn't terrible on movers of that size. I wasn't asking for me personally as I'm an elation distributor, but was just more curious as I don't know anyone selling them at that price to just anyone that walks in.