PDA

View Full Version : What's the scoop on Technics SL-DZ1200

ampnation
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Technics SL-DZ1200

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sldz1200.asp

The Technics SL-DZ1200, the world’s first Direct-Drive Digital Turntable, looks—and more importantly feels—like spinning wax on a classic 1200. The distinctive slip surface on the 10" platter lets you spin, scratch, break, and otherwise work a track in a number of formats, including CD, MP3 and AAC. Along with its realistic vinyl feel and classic direct drive, the SL-DZ1200 also lets you store, playback, scratch and loop sampled media from a removable SD memory card. About the size of a postage stamp, these cards store all your favorite samples, songs—even whole albums. And although they won't ever be able to replace vinyl, they're a whole heck of a lot easier to carry around than a crate of records.

I had never heard of these before but they look really cool. They seem to be discontinued but used ones seem to go for about the price of a used Technics 1200 vinyl turntable. They have a 10" platter which is closer to full 12" than other vinyl-like controller platters.

http://www.sonicbass.co.uk/Images/technics-sl-dz1200.jpg

DJ Nutty
04-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Used to be loads of threads on DJForums about these before the big wipe.

Not bad players, but the vinyl mode is proper broken from what I've seen on youtube. I think its defo a case of try before you buy with these, as I think they're a bit flakey. Shame cos they look rockin!

DjBlanco
04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
to make it short dont!! stay far away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2hvrosoEQ

ampnation
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Nuff said! I also delved a little further and found they only support up to 192kbps. Even if I wanted to use that bit rate, it would mean re-encoding my library. Minor issue too... SD vs. USB might be good for some but not me. I figured there was something not right with them which is why I asked.

Shame cos they look rockin!

This^^^

VjQue
04-26-2012, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=ampnation;73137]Nuff said! I also delved a little further and found they only support up to 192kbps. Even if I wanted to use that bit rate, it would mean re-encoding my library. Minor issue too... SD vs. USB might be good for some but not me. I figured there was something not right with them which is why I asked.
http://youtu.be/tul-2BkmuHA

VjQue
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RZ2u9Ax_dw&feature=related

VjQue
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Technics SL-DZ1200

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sldz1200.asp

I had never heard of these before but they look really cool. They seem to be discontinued but used ones seem to go for about the price of a used Technics 1200 vinyl turntable. They have a 10" platter which is closer to full 12" than other vinyl-like controller platters.

http://www.sonicbass.co.uk/Images/technics-sl-dz1200.jpg

to make it short dont!! stay far away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G2hvrosoEQthese decks are not bad like dj scandal is saying. that was made by a denon rep. I Been using these for 2 years now. with serato and without. and the firmware up date.

ampnation
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
these decks are not bad like dj scandal is saying. that was made by a denon rep. I Been using these for 2 years now. with serato and without. and the firmware up date.

You're saying the demo of the non-vinyl sounding one was taken by a disgruntled rep?
Have video showing them in use before and after the firmware update?

Or course there's also the point that not ALL people wanting to use these will want them for scratching in which case for the right person it seems they would be just fine. When I get ready to make this move, I'll probably end up with a pair of either Denon DN-S3900 or DN-SC3700. They're more $$ but offer more options and are compatible with the way my music is currently encoded.

CC Ricers
04-27-2012, 02:47 PM
That vid is so controversial nowadays, the opinions about the deck there seem to be split almost down the middle. And also the firmware upgrade, anyone here have tried them out after this?

There's no doubt they look sexy as hell, though. Plus, they are plenty big for a CD player.

ampnation
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
That vid is so controversial nowadays, the opinions about the deck there seem to be split almost down the middle. And also the firmware upgrade, anyone here have tried them out after this?

There's no doubt they look sexy as hell, though. Plus, they are plenty big for a CD player.

Display BPM, remaining time, and other play data

Cue Bank Yes

Cue Pads Yes (memory for 4 cue points)

Digital Forward/Reverse Yes

Drive Method Direct-Drive

Vinyl Sim Yes

Strobe Yes

Pitch Lock Yes

Free Wheel Yes

Tempo Control Yes

Sample Pads Yes

Loop Yes

Adjustable Braking Speed Yes

Built-In CD Player Yes

SD Card Slot Yes

Media Compatibility CD, CD-R/RW, SD Cards, MP3, AAC

Control Terminal for Relay Play Yes

Line Out Yes

Digital Out Yes (coaxial)

Mode Switch Yes (Turntable Mode/CD Player Mode)

Number of Channels 2 (left and right, stereo)

Frequency Response 4Hz to 20kHz

Output Voltage 2Vrms (at 0dB) (JEITA)

S/N Ratio 100dB (JEITA)

Output Impedance Approximately 1kilo-ohm

Load Impedence More than 10kilo-ohms

Headphone Output Level 20mW max. 32 ohms (adjustable)

Pickup Wavelength 780nm

Supported MP3 Bitrates (CD) 32kbps to 192kbps (128kbps recommended)

Supported MP3 Sampling Frequency (CD) 48kHz / 44.1kHz / 32kHz

Audio Formats Supported (SD) MPEG2-AAC/MP3

Sampling Frequency (SD) 48kHz / 44.1kHz / 32kHz

Power Supply AC 120V, 60Hz

Power Consumption 20W

Dimensions (H x W x D) 43/8" x 1239/64" x 13"

Weight 12.8 lbs

And I think the reason they didn't make a MKII version, just speculating, it stated in the promo stuff it used many of the same components as the 1200 and if some of the suppliers for parts for that went belly up, perhaps they were parts shared by the two. Seriously, if you want this but modern, look at the two Denon's with vinyl platters.

OONS
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh boy... Here goes my story.

These were my first decks ever (back in January of 2006) and we're amazing beginner decks. I not only learned on a CDJ, but was able to jump onto any vinyl decks and be able to spin. I don't scratch, so I can't say much about the quality of that. Only reason I upgraded to the CDJ-1000mk3 from those was because the CDJ's were club standard and I had to get accustomed to them to be able to play out. I only had two gripes with the players overall. One, the CD loading time was terrible. Took a good 10secs from insert to be able to actually hit play. 2nd, there was slight lag from when you touch the wheel to when it responds. This was due to the physical size of the platter hole (the silver platter comes off) and the silver peg it sits over. This was easily fixable with some tape or paper tho.

Also, the reason that there was no MKII version of this (or even any newer Technics headphones since the RPDH1200) is because Panasonic bought Technics right around the release of this and did jack shit with the entire brand. They basically put no money in development, milked the cow of all it's money, and sat there. Technics vinyl turntables are now discontinued, and the only thing they still make are the RPDH1200 headphones (and a few other headphones too which are all near 10 years old now). The RPHD1200 headphones have even gotten cheaper in material (shitty leather for the paddings, weaker plastic, etc.). I'm on my third pair of those now and won't be going back even though I love the sound.

These players do support 320kbps mp3 and .wav, but only burned to a CD as an audio disc.
The 192kbps limitation was for the SD card, which by the way, in order to get to work required a special $100 Panasonic SD card reader (I can't find the link now).

If you use Serato or Traktor Scratch then these decks are great. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend them.

DjZzeless
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I like the looks, wouldnt mind having one for my bedroom stereo set............a friend of mine swears by these and likes them over the Pioneer's!

Andrew B
04-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Also, the reason that there was no MKII version of this (or even any newer Technics headphones since the RPDH1200) is because Panasonic bought Technics right around the release of this and did jack shit with the entire brand.

1965? Technics has always been a Panasonic (Matsushita) sub-brand.

Era 7
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
1965? Technics has always been a Panasonic (Matsushita) sub-brand.

^this. they probably thought i wasn't worthwhile to further invest into it after the first one performed sub-par compared to other players like the CDJs.

DJNR
04-29-2012, 02:34 PM
They look cool but sound bad.