PDA

View Full Version : help, leeching the best sound from secondhand equipment

Josex
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Ok, so I'm once again trying to revive this ghetto ass sound system. I'm no sound guy for sure so I'm not sure how to wire this all up for the cleanest thumpiest sound.
THis is what I got:
Peavey PV2000 Power Amp
Dbx 576 Compressor/Preamp
(2) Behringer B215XLs
(1) Yamaha SW118V Sub
(1) Fender 118S Sub

So with a budget of $0 I really want to make the most of the built-in crossover on the PV and everything else but I have no idea how to properly wire this up. I've used the system without the DBX and only one sub and the amp in crossover mode but I really want that other sub in line. Any help will do, like I said I got no extra money to upgrade so I just want to make the most of what I got.

Thanks everyone for the input. Gotta give it up to the pros

windspeed36
04-26-2012, 01:27 AM
What's your mixer or form of output? I wouldn't bother about the Fender subwoofer as it will decrease your sound quality by using 2 different subs. You unfortuantely can only run the setup in mono.

Take either your left or right output from your mixer and insert it into channel one on the amp.

Engage the crossover and take the signal output from channel 1 and insert it into channel 2 (as advised by the product manual)

take the channel 1 output and daisy chain your 2 tops together with it

take channel 2's output and put that into the Yamaha sub.

The system is far from perfect but is functioning. If you want to, you can put the compressor either inserted on individual channels of your mixer, or as part of the processing inserted between your mixer outputs and amp inputs.

Josex
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
ok cool, that's how it was setup before and it sounded pretty good.
I'm running out of a small bheringer 8 channel mixer to the amp. but it started acting weird so I bypassed it once and ran straight out of my Traktor S4 and it was clean.
I added the other sub in the mix because the bar I was spinning at was really long and narrow and it didn't seem like the low end stretched through the crowd so I ran the other sub and top end to the other end.
In stereo they both thumped but without the crossover the mid/lows were noticeably noisier. Is this because of the top end trying to push low freq?
I also tried running the setup like you said above in mono but with the two subs daisy chained as well. There was like NO low end. The volume was struggling and I had to really pump it for to even sound mediocre.
If I were to upgrade just one piece of equipment, what would it be? Like I said my budget is near nothing right now
Thanks for the input.

jayhwk
04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Sometimes I like the "sound from all around" approach for dance music, but it will decrease quality and intelligibility of the audio. I'd stick with the loudspeakers at the front if you can get away with it.

I think that the crossover is the issue is as you you described - the Behringer B215XLs doesn't go very low, so it will probably distort if you expect too much bass out of it.

Regarding running both subs together, one was probably out of polarity with the other, so they were canceling each other out. Are all the subs front loaded 18s? Using two subs of the same type from different brands isn't ideal, but can work. Using different types of subs together (horn and front loaded, etc...) will lead to big problems.

I'd sell the Fender and pick up another Yamaha. It's not a great sub, but it's pretty tough and can work well. You could sell both and pick up a single used EV TX1181 or JBL MRX518, which I think you'll be a lot happier with. The B215XL are iffy, but I think you'd have to spend more than you can right now to upgrade them and that you subs need the most attention.

I'd forget the compressor until you learn a bit more about audio. This is a great book that might help you get started:
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335498547&sr=8-1

windspeed36
04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd sell all your subs and see if you can pick up a JBL PRX618S-XLF. It will make your setup that much better.

Josex
04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
word, thank you. I think for now it would be easier for me to cop another yamaha at the moment, I've already been talking to a guy who'll swap me in trade. Yeah both subs are front loaded. Once I get the federals together I'll spring for the JBL though. the B215XLs have done me good so I'll hang on to em for now, they're actually the cleanest part of my setup as far as I can tell.
Thanks for all the input and references. I really appreciate it.