PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buying

thehadgi
04-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Am I the only person that recklessly spends money on music stuff and then later has to sell other stuff to make payments for rent and such? :blank:

Any recommendations on what to do when you get that itch for just having to buy something? I think part of my problem is I confuse seeing a good deal on craigslist and ebay with thinking that I need to buy it just because it's on sale. This only happens with music equip though, I don't spend money on anything else :confused: Help me out with some tips to slow my hand-to-wallet speed down

I can't wait to stop being a broke ass college student so I can afford things, budget, etc :argh:

Edit: I suppose this could belong in the general dj forum also now that I think of it...

ezelkow1
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I had alot of GAS (thats the general term, gear acquisition syndrome) for plugins in the past year but have drastically slowed down lately. I find its better to stop, take inventory of what you have, then compare that new purchase to what you already own. See if its covering existing ground and then think really hard if your going to use it and if brings something new to the table that is really that much better than what you have. You can always tell yourself that something just like it will pop up later anyway, so if you decide down the road that its something you really want, that deal will still exist somewhere. That also gives you more time to look at alternatives, get a better idea of what exists in the marketplace in the same area, and decide if thats what you really want.

Also if you have something similar, start playing with that before you buy the new thing to remind you of why you got the first item to begin with. Usually when I do that I end up realizing what I already own can do what the new thing can and more already

Luckily I never got into a situation of not having the money for it (being out of college helps, I couldnt imagine doing it in college), but I could easily see going over board quick when you find a good deal to want to snatch it up, and once you move into doing that in the hardware realm easily going broke real quick

login
04-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah I have that craving from time to time, then I just remember all the stuff I already have (that is not much in reality) and how I am not using it all the time that I should, and also that's a hobby.

So I just launch ableton and start messing around until I realize that I have not scratched the surface of all the synth's, samples and fx I already have in Live or third party.

So, for me right now I have everything I need and make the commitment to learn it inside out, make music, have fun, learn to play an instrument and not buy anything until I am totally bored of my current set up and I have spare budget to burn. I hope it's not going to be soon or at least I have the goal to not buy any software till december (also because of the sales in november and christmas a lot of developers have).

That being said there is one thing I want a lot: an iPad for controlling apps and things like polychords, soundprism and morphiwiz which are a lot about playing with music.

disparate
04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm the opposite, I spend hours researching, comparing similar systems, reading reviews, thinking about how it'd integrate into my setup, then eventually deciding I can't really afford it anyway...

A bit of that is good but you can get too bogged down in the research, you never really know til you buy something and spend time with it.

Austin GoGreen
04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I went through a phase like this for about 2 years. I wanted to buy everything. I had the money for it but wasn't saving for shit. I had a ton of lights, a dj mobile booth, and all kinds of stuff.... Eventually I woke up, sold most of it and I've been saving this year.

Now if I can stop spending so much on my obsession with sneakers.

Mystic
04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I've always been the type to deeply research a product before I buy it because I've been burned too many times in the past by products that turned out to be junk. This also gives me the reality of budgeting because when I finally choose a product and see it's price, I can then spend some time working out what bills need to be paid and how much I have left before I can just buy it.

login
04-26-2012, 09:41 AM
The problem with researching a lot is that reviews and hype can make your gas stronger.

Must of all the time I download the demo's and see if it is worth the price, if the developer puts too many restrictions it turns me off quite soon.

SummitAudioDJ
04-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Guilty :zany: Keep telling myself I will stop buying. Maybe after another pair of intimidator spot LED 250's and Yamaha DSR115's I will. :D

ezelkow1
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
The problem with researching a lot is that reviews and hype can make your gas stronger.

Must of all the time I download the demo's and see if it is worth the price, if the developer puts too many restrictions it turns me off quite soon.

For reviews of audio stuff I almost always go way more by whats in forums than whats on sites. All the reviews in magazines and online shops Ive seen are way too forgiving when it comes to audio stuff. Usually forums I find give a much better perspective for where the short comings are and where it stacks up

thehadgi
04-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Exactly!

Also, I just bought a vocoder unit and filter box on ebay because it is a pretty good deal. Man, can't even keep it together for 24 hours

:facepalm:

punky
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
You think things will get better after college? Man, I hope you're right but it SUCKS out here right now.

Yo, honestly, as much as new gear is AWESOME, I would try REALLY HARD to get into good spending and saving habits now. Credit card companies make way too much money off of people with habits like yours, thehadgi. The economy BLOWS right now, and I know that 29 seems old now, but you'll get to where I am before you know it, and you don't want to get here with a mountain of debt. It'll severely constrain your options, especially if you want to make music for a living. You can't do that if you've got a huge credit card payment and student loan payments every month.

thehadgi
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
You think things will get better after college? Man, I hope you're right but it SUCKS out here right now.

Yo, honestly, as much as new gear is AWESOME, I would try REALLY HARD to get into good spending and saving habits now. Credit card companies make way too much money off of people with habits like yours, thehadgi. The economy BLOWS right now, and I know that 29 seems old now, but you'll get to where I am before you know it, and you don't want to get here with a mountain of debt. It'll severely constrain your options, especially if you want to make music for a living. You can't do that if you've got a huge credit card payment and student loan payments every month.

Point taken, I'll keep that in mind. I don't really get into credit card trouble because I don't spend on credit, I just am bad with my current assets, which means with no savings I'm going to be f*ed the minute trouble strikes. Thinking about meeting with a financial advisor person and start putting money away in investments where I can't touch it, like roth ira or other things. That way it just comes straight out of my paychecks and I'll have a backup

disparate
04-27-2012, 06:19 AM

True dat, I've been trying to get a lot better at saving and looking after my money. I still buy vinyl and intend to buy a bit more music gear but I make sure I'm putting a proportion of my pay into savings every month; also I'm in the very lucky position of being debt-free and intend to keep it that way.

It's boring stuff but these days it pays to have a bit in the bank...

DjBlanco
04-27-2012, 06:30 AM
I Used to do that all the time too as soon as new gear came out i would buy it i only stopped after thinking im getting old and want a family if i dont start saving now how will i buy a house or even other stuff for my GF and kid

Atomisk
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Oh man, I have the worst GAS in the world. The only solution I have to get around GAS is not being rich haha. Unfortunately I'm starting to make a fair amount of money, so I've bought over $3500 in gear over the last 6 months.

Mystic
04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh man, I have the worst GAS in the world. The only solution I have to get around GAS is not being rich haha. Unfortunately I'm starting to make a fair amount of money, so I've bought over $3500 in gear over the last 6 months.
Shame there is nowhere around here to test gear out first. I'm amazed we still don't have a Sam Ash or Guitar Center.
Rainbow Music can eat a dick.

M!TCH
04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
My biggest issue is being content with what I already have. I tend to fall for the "latest" and greatest stuff even though I get by perfectly fine with what I do have. I've been selling pretty much everything I own lately so I can slim down to a more simplistic lifestyle. Only owning what I need. And the things I do need I just make sure they are high quality. I'm good at justifying owning stuff :D

sss18734
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Unless I need it, I only make purchases off craigslist or eBay if I know I can play around with it and then later sell it for a profit if I decide I don't want it. No sense in buying stuff brand new just to play around with it and then sell it for a loss.

thehadgi
04-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm good at justifying owning stuff :D

I've been told I'm verrry good at justifying things also... which makes sense I suppose :lol:

Mrspyaman
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Exactly!

Also, I just bought a vocoder unit and filter box on ebay because it is a pretty good deal. Man, can't even keep it together for 24 hours

:facepalm:
Was it the pair of electrix units?

thehadgi
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, it would've been if I hadn't been outbid :argh:

I now have a sneaking suspicion you outbid me...

:argh:

Mrspyaman
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Well, it would've been if I hadn't been outbid :argh:

I now have a sneaking suspicion you outbid me...

:argh:
Nah, already have the vocoder was just watching wanted another filter factory if it went low enough.
But just think of it this way somebody saved saved you from you.

thehadgi
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Haha ok. And yeah you're right

xyloft
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
could be worse. i bought 3 cars in 5-6 years. traded each one and took a huge hit each time.

but yeah. i still can't stop myself from shopping for DJ/Production stuff or cars. but I am getting better at not putting myself in the pull the trigger spot (i try not to go to car dealerships anymore). and i like to see/touch DJ stuff before actually buying it, so I only go to guitar center now when I absolutely have too because i can't take it anymore.

WillRock
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I too am guilty..matter of fact, i just bought Zeta+2 since there was a sale haha. Hi, I'm WillRock and I am a synth whore. @_@

drop1
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I too am guilty..matter of fact, i just bought Zeta+2 since there was a sale haha. Hi, I'm WillRock and I am a synth whore. @_@

Me too. Problem is I tend to buy another before fully mastering the previous.

philfs
05-07-2012, 08:19 AM
You should check out ImpulseSave. Let's you Impulse Save in way that is just as easy and fun as Impulse Buying! So while you go through your life spending as we all do - youi can throw in a few ImpulseSaves and watch it add up rather than slip away!

drop1
05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Holy shit. spam that's almost relevant

Celestial
05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
while i do my share of research i have to admit i'm an impulse buyer :facepalm:

i'm glad i'm not the only gear whore around here

Manu
05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
All my gear was thoughtfully purchased, I hate wasting money.

DjBlanco
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
ticket to ecuador

drop1
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
All my gear was thoughtfully purchased, I hate wasting money.

GTFO :mad:

thehadgi
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
So lately my spending has been stemmed due to a condition called 'being broke as f*ck'. But my first paychecks from my new corp gig will be rolling in soon and I trying reeaally hard to come up with a plan to restrict my spending to only moneyz after I've put savings and payments towards loans n such away :teef:

But there is still a good chance over the next 6 months I'll be posting pics of a bunch of stuff i buy because of 'GAS' here :lol:

H.R. Smokinsh!t
06-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I have a lot of disposable income for music gear, mostly from making gla$$ pipe$ and ice $culpture$.

Wakka
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I spend more time buying/researching gear than i do actually creating music. Some would call me a 'Gearslut'

Scrap McNapps
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
while i do my share of research i have to admit i'm an impulse buyer :facepalm:

i'm glad i'm not the only gear whore around here

Diddo.

djpenguin
06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Generic budget plan for financial health:

1. Get paycheck
2. Pay all bills, including debt service & loan repayments
3. Pay the statement balance on all your credit cards
4. Set aside a full month's grocery money (roughly $300 per person per month is a good general number)
5. Set aside 10% of your paycheck for long-term savings
6. What you have left is your entertainment and hobby expense budget. Use it to go to movies, buy gear, go out to restaurants, go on dates, etc.

Scrap McNapps
06-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I told myself that I wasn't gonna get any more sample libraries for a while and that I didn't need any more

Then Sample Logic sent me an email saying they're selling Morphestra for 50% off :facepalm:

Starting to fiend again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

thehadgi
06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
That is excellent advice penguin, danke danke. Probably is obv to most people, I just never learned good money skills :eek:

Going to see if I can draft up a budget now that I have a steady income :school:

thehadgi
06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I told myself that I wasn't gonna get any more sample libraries for a while and that I didn't need any more

Then Sample Logic sent me an email saying they're selling Morphestra for 50% off :facepalm:

Starting to fiend again.

Mmmmm damn now I want it too :argh: some crazy awesome sounds in there

Scrap McNapps
06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Mmmmm damn now I want it too :argh: some crazy awesome sounds in there

Something tells me I'm gonna make a financially irresponsible decision within the next few days. Smh.

ben mills
06-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't make a ton of money - but I make enough to buy stuff pretty much whenever I want it. This leads to trouble because I'm like "Oh, $75...ok," "Oh, $100...ok." Last month I saw a great deal on a Maschine for $350 and I was like "oh...ok." The month before that I bought a Kontrol X1.

It's a problem not because I can't afford it, but I just don't keep track of what I spend. And then I'm always like "damn, where did all my cash go?" It's not like I'm buying a lot of cool or useful stuff: furniture, clothes, etc....I'm going out to eat, spending money on the weekends going out, living a nice lifestyle.

At the end of the day I don't feel too bad, because I save 10% pre-tax, and pay all my bills and insurances...but damn. Life is expensive these days...especially when you're married and the only one working.

Divercity
06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
You already know what I think man ;)

But straight up. Budget your money, buy the gear you need and what you can learn to use well instead of buying whatever looks fancy. Also...Save so you can go part time and producing music all day :D :D That's my plan after I finish my study ;)

Scrap McNapps
06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Well I ended up getting Morphestra and thought "Kay, now I'm good...." now NI is telling me that there is 50% off of Kontakt and 10 other libraries. :argh:

Word of advice.. Don't subscribe to mailing lists. :banghead:

ezelkow1
07-01-2012, 01:16 AM
hehe, I just did the ni deal to get funk guitarist, btw you can get an extra 30$ off by going here, http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/mpv-hub/

definitely ends up with some no-brainers at that point

Archon
07-01-2012, 02:13 PM
you are not the only one. i do that all the time.

as for tips on how to not do this, when you see something on CL or whatever and think "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HAVE THAT" do not, i repeat DO. NOT. google the item and read all about it and look at pictures and ESPECIALLY dont look at its retail price because then you'll become more obsessed with it and when you see the retail price you will ALWAYS tell yourself "oh my god, this is SUCH A GOOD DEAL! I HAVE TO BUY IT!" even if its not really that great of a deal.

also, you know those prepaid visa cards? each month, load your rent money onto that card, and you wont buy shit off CL with your rent money since its not cash. if you REALLY want to and cant control yourself you will find a way to spend that rent money, but it makes it a lot harder.

g-sep
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I work 60/hrs a week under the sun, so everything I buy I research the shit out of it before. Most of the time I say no, unless I really need it.

For instance, I just bought a 2011 13" MBP for $1k on Ebay, fully loaded, warranty and apple care. What did it replace? A 2006 MBP 17". This recent large purchase is justified I believe.

I almost bought Massive because it was on sale, but decided not to because I have pushed my production skills that far yet.

By doing this I've dropped just under $10k into my savings since April. Granted I do still live at home, but I pay all my own bills and toss $600 a month to my pops to help out.

New shit is nice, dont get me wrong, but I also know how hard it is out there to make decent money.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Dremo
07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
wow, I just bought the Access Virus TI2 desktop. Thought about getting the Arturia Minibrute, but what the hell.

Been going through some presets now. Sounds like money well spent. :teef:

thehadgi
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I think that's money we'll spent :D

Paulie65m
07-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Just bought Yamaha mg mixer and hs50 monitors for my mpc , probably a korg monotribe is next then need to consider room treatment before going for a Moog or something

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk