PDA

View Full Version : Revo 4 rating

damusicman
04-25-2012, 09:03 PM
What's everyone's opinion on the Revo 4? My business is in a small rural area where the max guest list is 200 (usually). Right now our light rig consists of Chauvet 4 bar led and Chauvet LX5. I am looking for a centerpiece light in the $200-$250 range.

DJStevieRay
04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
How Central are you. I liked the Revo 4 for what it is. But, I must say some of the lighting guys on here are from Bloomsburg and State College and run huge lighting systems with Moving Heads, so don't sell your market short. There is alot of people in PA willing to book some nice big shows. Now I am in the NE PA, and almost all my shows take uplighting, monograms, and moving heads.

damusicman
04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
I'm located just west of Selinsgrove. Your right I don't want to sell myself short or the customer. There aren't that many DJ's in the area providing uplighting, monograms, and moving heads. What would be your suggestion for a centerpiece light?

DJStevieRay
04-26-2012, 07:28 AM
I think the Revo 4 would make a good centerpiece for what you have now. Or the Chauvet Cirrus.

DJStevieRay
04-26-2012, 07:45 AM
There aren't that many DJ's in the area providing uplighting, monograms, and moving heads.

This guy is about 10 minutes from you. (Sound in the videos suck)

http://youtu.be/gmkbA_GNMmA

http://youtu.be/Hw_6GAXPX04

And you are within my market ;)

SummitAudioDJ
04-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I personally like the REVO 3 better than the 4. I think the 4 really needs haze to look good. Also the Revo 4 looses its wow factor and distorts on uneven surfaces or when the angle of throw is steep. The Revo 3 looks great pointed on the ceiling or floor regardless of the angle or contour of the projection object. A Chauvet 4 play might compliment your 4 bar well.

It sounds like you are in the same type of area I am in and you are just starting out. I started out with a few halogen effect lights and par38's and now have moving heads and 22 uplighting pars. As your business grows so will your rig. I live about 1 1/2 hours Southeast of you and realized how visual brides were when shopping for a DJ so I focused on lighting that nobody really used in my area such as full room uplighing and moving heads. Slowly the competion are buying the same.

Here is a shot of my Revo 3 on ceiling and Quad Gem on the floor.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/hiker9/PA160167.jpg

Mystic
04-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I've done a stage gig in Selinsgrove before but don't remember what it was. Too long ago. I think it might have been a presidential campaign thing.

There are a few people in our area moving into the moving head area. A friend of mine just got a case of Mac 101s.

Silver Man
04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I am from the Harrisburg area, but I am getting more and more requests to go up to the Nory and Sunbury area. I am on the verge of getting heads, but the issue that I am running into is that I am getting calls to go up, not because of the equipment, but because of the overall service I present is better than what they are finding in the area (and that is not to slam anyone, it is just what they are telling me and I am sure they have not seen everyone in that area as well). I have yet to run into a bride that is specifically looking for a DJ with a moving head. I run 8 LED Pars and 4 Martin SCX 500's I also provide uplighting as an option as well. I am just tying with getting a couple Blizzard Torrent 90's just so I can have the interchangeable Gobos for monograms.

Johnnotestine
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I liked the Revo 4 a lot when I was just starting. It has good built in programs and the ease of use with a UC3 controller is nice.

As my light show has grown and become a lot more DMX focused I have found the Revo 4 to be limited. I think you can only access something like 12 programs via DMX and controlling colors is difficult.

I think if you are after a quick splash of color for dancing the Revo 4 has pretty good "bang for the buck". If you are thinking of growing your lightshow to include more programmed scenes there are better lights to look at.

Synaxis
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Eh, I'm not too fond of LED matrix style lights.

Have you considered maybe an ADJ Quad Phase?

jlcpremier
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a Revo 3 and used to have a Revo 4. Sold the 4, not nearly as much coverage as the 3, and I agree with a poster above...without fog or haze it looks pretty bad. The coverage on the 3 is much better and it lights up a bigger area, and it looks great whether you project it on the floor, back wall, or ceiling. I agree with Synaxis, I have a Tri-phase as my centerpiece, and it works great, so the quad phase is about the same.

Also check out this video comparison I did between the 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnduUGLHsEY&list=UUdjQmY07_XU8Rk1N8uEEQbA&index=10&feature=plcp

Mystic
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I have yet to run into a bride that is specifically looking for a DJ with a moving head.
You likely never will either, which isn't a bad thing. If a person knows about gear like that, they will be much more critical on your setup much like we are of other peoples setups when we go to an event that has someone else as the DJ.

What our clients care about is simply to have a good event with a professional and clean look while being fun and exciting. I've had people ask me for "club" and "concert style lighting" for events, but they don't have a clue what they are, which is fine because it's our job to know about that kind of thing, not theirs. That's one more reason they hire us.

DJStevieRay
04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
What our clients care about is simply to have a good event with a professional and clean look while being fun and exciting. I've had people ask me for "club" and "concert style lighting" for events, but they don't have a clue what they are, which is fine because it's our job to know about that kind of thing, not theirs. That's one more reason they hire us.

+rep I could not have said it better myself. I don't sell the Bride Moving HEads, I sell them the experience. The entrance spotlight, the Cake spotlight, the incredible patterns on the ceiling for their first dance.

damusicman
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm getting some great feedback and I'm torn on which light to choose. What my main goal is to have a great effects light that will run on sound or dmx (don't have a DMX controller yet). I have a prom next weekend and I would like to introduce the new light then.

From reading the posts it looks like the following are being recommended:
1. Revo 4
2. Revo 3 (can't seem to find them anymore)
3. Quad Phase

My biggest concerns are brightness and coverage.

Johnnotestine
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm getting some great feedback and I'm torn on which light to choose. What my main goal is to have a great effects light that will run on sound or dmx (don't have a DMX controller yet). I have a prom next weekend and I would like to introduce the new light then.

From reading the posts it looks like the following are being recommended:
1. Revo 4
2. Revo 3 (can't seem to find them anymore)
3. Quad Phase

My biggest concerns are brightness and coverage.

#2 - Looks like $250 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/American-Revo-Iii-Effect-Light/dp/B000TO95P8

I am not vouching for it because I don't own the light, only providing the link.

damusicman
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
thanx for the link

jlcpremier
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Seeing as you already have the LED moonflower (LX5) I would go with the Quad phase and pick up the remote for it. It will give you some nice flexibility. It makes a great centerpiece light and looks best in haze or fog. The coverage on the Quad Phase is excellent as well. With the remote you have 3 buttons...Blackout, Mode and Function. I could have these reversed, but mode allows you to put the light in stand-alone or sound active mode. I use it in stand alone during dinners or whenever I just want some ambient lighting with a nice slow rotation. Pressing Function in this mode controls the speed of rotation. In sound active mode it will go to the music and pressing function will make it strobe for as long as you hold down the button.

I could be completely wrong on these as I'm basing it off the Tri-phase I have, but I would think the functions would be the same on the quad.

Silver Man
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
You likely never will either, which isn't a bad thing. If a person knows about gear like that, they will be much more critical on your setup much like we are of other peoples setups when we go to an event that has someone else as the DJ.

Mystic,

That is exactly my point (and more importantly what I was trying to say.) I have been in business 22 years and at one point in time (albeit every early in the business) I thought I had to have the biggest and flashiest system. I changed that tune and focus on the experience I give. My setup is very small and I try to blend in more than stick out. (My system is a set QSC KSubs and K10s and two light trees, with 8 LED Cans and 4 SCX500's, small and very effective.)

Mystic
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Mystic,

That is exactly my point (and more importantly what I was trying to say.) I have been in business 22 years and at one point in time (albeit every early in the business) I thought I had to have the biggest and flashiest system. I changed that tune and focus on the experience I give. My setup is very small and I try to blend in more than stick out. (My system is a set QSC KSubs and K10s and two light trees, with 8 LED Cans and 4 SCX500's, small and very effective.)
The difference between now and 22 years ago though is that now days, people are learning how to be high end and make yourself look better than the competition. Lets face it, a lot of the gear 22 years ago looked extremely tacky. Most of them were the effects lighting that we are all starting to move very far away from because of this. Things like scanners were way out of the price range of 99% of people. Now days, the high cost lighting is not only much better in practice, but also looks clean and sleek while making the people who still using conventional lighting look messy and outdated. I think a lot of customers, while they have no idea what a Martin Mac is, can still see they look 100x more professional than the guy who has a tree stand with a couple pars on it.

To them, it doesn't matter the type of lights they are, but it sure as hell looks a lot more professional. That's the point I was getting at.

DJStevieRay
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Silver Man I did a Wedding last week. With 2 K-subs, and 2 K12's and 2 moving heads on totems. Smaller then 8 LED cans and 4 SCX's, and very classy. PS there was a tripod hidden behind the speakers for monogram projection.

http://youtu.be/ME6_dvycvjs?t=1m46s

damusicman
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
going with the quad phase...thanks for the help;)

DJ Riddims
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I agree with Synaxis
I like seeing the beams travel instead of jumping from spot to spot.

Synaxis
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
I agree with Synaxis
I like seeing the beams travel instead of jumping from spot to spot.

THANK YOU!! :D :tup:

+Rep!