PDA

View Full Version : Seismic Audio PWS-10 Speaker Review

Defiance
04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Features
Model Number: PWS-10 (10" Powered Speaker)
10" Molded Full Range PA/DJ Speaker Cabinet
400 Watts RMS
Titanium Compression Driver
Wide Dispersion Horn
Frequency Response: 50Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity: 98 dB
8 Ohm
Built in High Efficient Amplifier
HxWxD: 19" x 13.25" x 10.25"
Weight 32 lbs
Features:
Power Switch
Fuse Protection
Master Volume
3 Band Equalizer
Bass
Mid
Treble
Preamp Gain volume
1/8" input for iPod, iPhone, or MP3
1/4" balanced end input
XLR female input
Pole Mount
Lightweight ABS plastic cabinet with feet
Side handle
Angled side for monitor use
Ported

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/tsb2q.xt6yf/v/vspfiles/photos/PWS-10-3T.jpg?1332250829

I got this right around the time the M-Audio Speaker review came up, it was a b-day gift. Cost came out to $150 shipped.

Overall, I am not really impressed. The size and weight are good, it has a Class A/B amp which I assume is why it weighs more than similarly sized powered speakers. The case on it is really nice, while it only has one handle I can easily carry it and my case w/ NS6 in one trip, which was a huge bonus for me.

The 3-way EQ is nice and absolutely necessary. However the High/Mid sounds of this are not really 'flat' and very 'crisp and harsh' especially as volume increases. The bass is nice at low-levels and hints at being powerful with more volume, this is not the case. It seems it just starts to rumble and then just makes noise. The back of the unit has a vent that runs the air that woofer pushes across the heatsink, this port is directly behind the woofer so nearly all the port noise comes from this vent. Against a wall, it is very noisy. I also noticed air noise from the 1/4 and XLR jacks. I also believe that there is no crossover going to the tweeter, so as you turn the bass up the tweeter starts to distort.

The tweeter seemed to be a problem from day one, not sounding great, I got this April 5th. Today I called and talked with a Tech. This is where Seismic Audio really outshines nearly any other company. The tech seemed genuinely concerned with my issue and offered multiple options to 'fix' my problem. We agreed that they would send me a replacement diagram for the tweeter and try it out at my gigs this weekend. He was concerned that something else was wrong, but I wanted to use it this weekend either way. If it didn't work out, he said call and they will pay to get it shipped back to them on Monday and can get another 10", a 12" or 8" or a full refund.

I will update when I get the new part and keep everyone informed.

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Cost came out to $150 shipped.

Overall, I am not really impressed.Nor am I surprised. You do get what you pay for.

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
It is nice to see an honest review from someone purchasing this level of gear. Good job Defiance!

Most people will post about how awesome their new Pyle Pros are and then pretty much call us idiots for spending more on RCF/QSC/EV etc..

Al

Defiance
04-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Bill I completely understand what you mean. However I got this with the intention of using it as a booth speaker, which hopefully it does well. The only other thing it would do is ceremonies, which I have no doubt it would. If I do have a bad speaker, then a replacement will beat my expectations for a speaker for this duty. Because it is non-essential piece of equipment no way I could justify having an expensive piece of equipment to do this duty.

fueledbymusic
04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I had a similar experience with those low end speakers. I had 12" onlyfactorydirects that I paid $140 for the pair. I did like them just decently. I did not consider them crap though. They sounded OK. But for the price,I had no complaints. I own them for 2 years and was actually happy with them. All until I was more seriously into DJ equipment. Thats when I losed interest in those $140 pair things.

DJMC
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
The M-Audio GSR-10 is a much better speaker, in both appearance and performance.

Defiance
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
The M-Audio GSR-10 is a much better speaker, in both appearance and performance.

Have you heard both? A friend of mine actually picked up the M-audios so I hope to hear them soon.

I personally do not like the looks of the M-audios (I also am not crazy about the SAs) the vents just looks cheesy to me and cheap to me.

The best thing about a cheap speaker like this, I have no problem later down the road up****** the internals to something higher end. I would be more willing to update this particular speaker than my full PA setup (if I had some spare cash to spend) if ends up causing ear fatigue during my gigs.

DJMC
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I've heard similar speakers made in the same Chinese factory (those having class A/B amps, using passive crossover networks). The old American Audio DLS- line of powered speakers were similar, in their amp design and their appearance!

To each his own, I like the grills and the venting on the M-Audio line, the cabinet has a very sleek appearance and they put THREE carrying handles, very ergonomic design indeed!

News flash: Not all chinese speakers are created equal!

Wendy to the K
11-11-2016, 01:53 PM
1. Poor technical sheet with little in the way of specifications of the actual electronic outlay of this product
2. If it is like most of their equipment it crosses over at 3K and probably relies on a direct feed from the amp to the crossover to feed this. In other words, they are using one amp to run both as opposed to dedicated amps for both. They could better balance the input in that manner
3. Given they are using one amp to drive both the compression driver (snicker) is probably being stretched to its limits. My guess is the amp is clipping and the horn is about to fry or it is grossly mismatched.
4. What do you expect for 160$

I just do not think they are a quality product and to pass them off as that is a travesty.