PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Set-up Advice

DJ Que Yi
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I've been using a set of Mackie 15 " Thumps and a SRM 1801. I started with small events from 50-100 guests. The setup was fine even when I didn't use the sub. I'm starting to book larger gigs of about 200 guests. I've always known the limitations of the Thumps loudness. Should I expand by adding a second sub and enable the LPF on the thumps so that they can play louder? Or should I sell the Thumps and upgrade to the 450 v2's or the EV live 12's? I figure either decision is going to cost me up to $700. I'm seeking feedback on the actual sound aspect. Would I attain a big sound with 2 subs or 1?

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
A second sub for sure. With each octave drop in bandwidth power and excursion demands double, so at the very least the physical size of whatever you have for subs should be at least twice that of your tops.

jayhwk
04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Normally I'd agree with the sub advice (for a DJ) but the Thump 15 has a maximum peak SPL of 121dB - a full 10dB lower than the EV and 6dB lower than the SRM450. I was suprised how honest the spec sheet on the Thump 15 is - it looks really bad.

I get rid of the Thumps and add a second sub!

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Normally I'd agree with the sub advice (for a DJ) but the Thump 15 has a maximum peak SPL of 121dB - a full 10dB lower than the EV and 6dB lower than the SRM450. I was suprised how honest the spec sheet on the Thump 15 is - it looks really bad.

I get rid of the Thumps and add a second sub!

Not sure if Mackie changed the specs, but the Thump 15s used to be spec'd 113DB continuous and 116DB peak. VERY weak indeed :(

Al Poulin
04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Just checked and sure enough, the thump 15s now produce 118DB continuous and 121DB peak. Did Mackie actually modify the Thumps at all or just magically increase the numbers?

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Just checked and sure enough, the thump 15s now produce 118DB continuous and 121DB peak. Did Mackie actually modify the Thumps at all or just magically increase the numbers?There are few honest specs out there anyway; I don't give credence to any that aren't backed up by measured SPL charts, be it for 1w sensitivity or maximum output.

DJ Que Yi
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. So far I've gathered advice that says adding a second sub would be ideal considering I play mostly R&B, Funk, and Hip Hop. The second sub would fill the room with low end and offer a more ear friendly sound vs. ear piercing highs which can be annoying. On the other hand I'm gathering that the Thumps will only get so loud even when in sub mode. So I gather that for gigs for 100 or less adding a second sub will enhance the overall sound and maybe get me through a 150 size gig. But anything over 150 I should get two new tops.

DJ Que Yi
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I ended up buying a set of EV Live X 12's. I paired them with the SRM 1801 and the sound was very impressive damn near awsome to me! I have the Live X 18 inch sub on order. I'm going keep the Mackie sub since it has served me well (I like the stereo inputs/outputs) and I still have pro-care covereage on it. I have the Thumps listed on Craig's List San Antonio but may hold on to them to use as monitors. I should be able to handle a crowd of 300.