PDA

View Full Version : Bandpass vs Ported/Sealed Subwoofer

Evolved
04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Granted there are many web references to this topic however not all of them are on the subject matter of DJing. Many are car audio related. Though the fundamentals are the same. What do you prefer to use and what type of music works best with either type? What would work better for an outdoor gig vs an indoor gig?

So I hope these are correct below.

Bandpass Box
http://i.clubafaceri.ro/clients/88/83009/66/rcf-sub-718-as-subwoofer-activ-964717_big.jpg

Sealed (I believe)
http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/215140.jpg

Ported???

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
What matters is frequency response and actual maximum driver displacement limited output, not the cab topology. The former can be found on the manufacturer data sheets. If they have none that should remove them from consideration. The latter is a bit harder to come by, as you have to know the drivers used.

DJJDGator
04-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. I was thinking of starting a similar thread because i'm also curious about this subject.

GaFFLe
04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
... double post.

GaFFLe
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
What matters is frequency response and actual maximum driver displacement limited output, not the cab topology. The former can be found on the manufacturer data sheets. If they have none that should remove them from consideration. The latter is a bit harder to come by, as you have to know the drivers used.
From your design experience, have you had issues with the bandpass sound or enclosure reliability? The reason I ask is my experience hearing them has been with car audio, where I don't really care for the sound, as well as MI-level PA gear. (K-sub and some other model)

Bandpass Box
http://i.clubafaceri.ro/clients/88/83009/66/rcf-sub-718-as-subwoofer-activ-964717_big.jpg

The above units looks similar to how the old Mackie SWA1801z were designed. It has a faceplate with screws around the periphery. 80% of the SWA1801z's I've ever heard exhibited some sort of boxy rattling or buzzing noise that only stopped once I pressed a knee up against the faceplate. I guess it's a result of the screws eventually coming loose. I'm just wondering if that's a solid design or should one stay away from the likes.

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
[FONT=Century Gothic]From your design experience, have you had issues with the bandpass sound or enclosure reliability?
I haven't used a store bought cab since 1970. I haven't heard any BP cabs that impressed me. They're very difficult to get right, and tend to have a narrow peaked bandwidth.

Evolved
04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Gaffle said "double post" Do explain? is there another posting for this topic already?

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong. But from what I can understand in one aspect: a bandpass sub may be cheaper than one that is sealed - you may get more SPL output for the price of a bandpass yet it has limitations that the sealed ones does not. And perhaps better sound quality from one that is sealed. (Perhaps more accurate)

GaFFLe
04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Gaffle said "double post" Do explain? is there another posting for this topic already? No, I had a post failure and posted my question twice.

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Gaffle said "double post" Do explain? is there another posting for this topic already?

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong. But from what I can understand in one aspect: a bandpass sub may be cheaper than one that is sealed - you may get more SPL output for the price of a bandpass yet it has limitations that the sealed ones does not. And perhaps better sound quality from one that is sealed. (Perhaps more accurate)As far as bandpass goes they are less accurate than vented, and sealed subs are never used in pro-sound.

Evolved
04-25-2012, 09:28 AM
As far as bandpass goes they are less accurate than vented, and sealed subs are never used in pro-sound.
And why is that?

GaFFLe
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
And why is that?
From a car audio world, I believe the sealed enclosures are less efficient and more difficult to drive. They have tight bass but require more power to get going as opposed to a ported design. I think the ported designs go lower as well. Bill?

Bill Fitzmaurice
04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
And why is that?
Because you don't play in a room the size of a car.