PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever feel like...

electricsmooth
04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
...throwing in the towel after a long night???

Setup is not bad, especially if you have time to work with. The actual event is usually pretty fun but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking of the tear down and loading the van. This Saturday we just did a great party that ended about 230 am. On the way home at around 430-5ish as I was trying to keep myself awake, I was thinking, "I'm too old for this". When I woke up, my body ached from all the lifting.

I suppose if I did this 2-3 times a month I would get used to it but I'm only doing gigs 5-8 times a year. I haven't looked at any of my DJ equipment since that day but I know in a week or so, I'll forget the struggles and remember the good times. I guess such is the life of a part-time mobile DJ.

Dix
04-24-2012, 05:03 AM
I know what you mean. We just bought a trailer & that makes it a lot easier. But the later we stay out, the worse I feel the next day. Its not unusual for me not to feel good again until Monday. We are in our 50's & we only do 1 or 2 a month... occasionally we will do three but VERY seldom.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-24-2012, 07:43 AM
The only thing that would bother me in the future is the weekends away from my son.

RodneyL
04-24-2012, 08:09 AM
If I have a bad gig where people dont dance much, that can be depressing. But usually those are "dry" weddings and more often than not, you can tell that the guests aren't very "outgoing".

I hate sending my daughter to her grandmas for the night if both the wife and I are booked, but I know that income is helping our family. I try not to book more than 3 weekends per month if I can help it.

Badger
04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I remember the old days when I was running my first commercial mobile company. Some of the gigs really wore me down, and there were numerous times in which I wanted to just give up, but I loved the thrill of "being a DJ" too much and I just kept going.

After the first few years, I developed a saying that I would tell my crew:

"There are two types of gigs: The ones where you look back and say, 'That was a good gig,' and the ones where you look back and say, 'I got paid.'"
There were plenty of cases in which I felt I rocked the house and had a great time... and in some cases, I just felt like the musical equivalent of a big ol' whore.

My first mobile company died a quiet death at the end of 2002, and I just turned forty last year. Can you believe I'm actually thinking about getting BACK into the mobile industry... and still doing the shows with turntables and crates full of real vinyl?*

Yep... I am officially a masochist.

:badger:

*[Yes, I'll use CD decks as well - but no laptops or MP3 players.]

DJ Scotch
04-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I am 32 and most of my gigs last till 2am. My normal drive to any venue is about 35-45 min.

The last gig I did on Saturday April 21st, was in NYC about 1hour and 20 min ride from my place. I came home at 5:30am and got up at 7:30am and went for 10k run (March for babies) came home after the run, ate and head out to another 50min ride up north to pick up the TTM 57SL from another DJF member. Came home around 5:30ish and watched TV.

Went to sleep at 9ish and back to work on Monday morning :) I have no idea how I did it LOL!!

frankwite
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
...throwing in the towel after a long night???

Setup is not bad, especially if you have time to work with. The actual event is usually pretty fun but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking of the tear down and loading the van. This Saturday we just did a great party that ended about 230 am. On the way home at around 430-5ish as I was trying to keep myself awake, I was thinking, "I'm too old for this". When I woke up, my body ached from all the lifting.

I suppose if I did this 2-3 times a month I would get used to it but I'm only doing gigs 5-8 times a year. I haven't looked at any of my DJ equipment since that day but I know in a week or so, I'll forget the struggles and remember the good times. I guess such is the life of a part-time mobile DJ.

I understand totally! I only dj twice a month, never more than that because I love spending time with my wife. Even though she's with me when I dj it's not the same. Now that we're expecting our 1st child any day now I'm probably going to cut it back to only once a month so I can spend time with my new son.

I'm sure if I did it more I wouldn't hurt so much the next day, but djing doesn't pay my bills but I plan to keep doing it until I'm either too old or can't take the pain anymore.

My son isn't here yet and I'm already feeling as if I'd be happy with just djing his birthday parties and small family events. :lol:

bumpyjonas
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Most gigs I have done are eventful and fun. However the setup and packing up are the worst. I am usually a one man show (sometimes I have roadies) and lugging equipment back and forth will take its toll.

But at the end of the day we are disc jockeys, and it's always about the mix and the music.

Sween
04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
All the time.

I can't remember HOW many times I caught myself after a tough gig driving home at 2am saying "WHY do I do this???"

But after about two days the feeling goes away.

It just SUCKS if you are saying that on Friday when you have another gig on Saturday!

SummitAudioDJ
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Absolutely one of the reasons I would never want to do this 4+ times a month as a full timer.

Drewbdo
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
60th birthday party Friday night,
wedding 10 AM Saturday,
40th birthday party Saturday night,
hit a local club after to network and see a buddy spin,
breakfast and church with family Sunday morning,
military duty Sunday afternoon,
"40 hour real job" 7AM-4PM Monday... with a nap in my car at lunch time :)
hosted karaoke Monday PM,
"real job" Tuesday,
started hosting a new bingo gig at a local restaurant Tuesday night... needed a nap at lunch, but practiced with the bingo software
slept like a log last night...
back to real job this morning... way too early
lunch with wife and one child today
lunch with other child tomorrow

To the OP, for now, this is my life. I'm still the new guy in this area, so I don't have the name recognition yet that the more established guys have. I keep the "real job" for the stability and benefits (I am the sole bread-winner in our family). The big dog DJ companies in my area call this little Chihuahua DJ when they are over booked because they know I'm hungry and will do a great job for them.

However, I do get exhausted and tired. Sometimes I just want to chill out. Saturday, I had an hour between finishing the wedding, and needing to leave for the 40th birthday. My house was in between, so I went home and played an X-Box 360 shooter. My family was gone for the afternoon, so I cranked up the sound system and relaxed.

What are your goals? I know mine, and that helps when I want to quit DJ-ing. Those goals can help give your extra endurance for that long haul.

rotoitiman
04-26-2012, 05:27 AM
All the time.

I can't remember HOW many times I caught myself after a tough gig driving home at 2am saying "WHY do I do this???"

But after about two days the feeling goes away.

It just SUCKS if you are saying that on Friday when you have another gig on Saturday!

LOL - Same here. I find if for a have a crap sleep the night before, it just makes for a very, very long night. But I think about the disposable cash and my daughters braces and my mrs new lounge etc etc the feeling quickly goes away.

Divercity
04-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Exercise more.

Nick_EventPro
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Exercise more.

+1. If you're in shape it makes this so much easier. Still hard lugging equipment around late nights no doubt, but doesn't take as much of a toll on your body.

DJMC
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
My solution? Lighter equipment + Superfeet (shoe insoles).

frankwite
04-26-2012, 11:52 AM
My solution? Lighter equipment + Superfeet (shoe insoles).

+1!!!

I've downsized like nobody's business and in the process of selling my 15' powered speakers to then pick up some 12's. The ns7 stays put these days. Honestly I wish that I could get away with some 10' speakers.

FYI I'm in great shape, but I couldn't care less about the setup, travel and breakdown.

Sween
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes. Stay in shape. I'm not perfect but I hit the gym about 3 times per week. I ran 10 miles on Sunday.

Yes. Lighter/Less equipment is good. (Although sometimes you can't help it)

My problem is the late nights coupled with loud music and an excess of energy... I get home at 1am not tired and then want to eat something... at 2am I try to go to bed and toss and turn for another hour (or two)... and then my kids are up at 7am and I had a crappy night of sleep.

rotoitiman
04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes. Stay in shape. I'm not perfect but I hit the gym about 3 times per week. I ran 10 miles on Sunday.

Yes. Lighter/Less equipment is good. (Although sometimes you can't help it)

My problem is the late nights coupled with loud music and an excess of energy... I get home at 1am not tired and then want to eat something... at 2am I try to go to bed and toss and turn for another hour (or two)... and then my kids are up at 7am and I had a crappy night of sleep.

Same situation here. But Im not complaining - I get home usually at around 2-3am - ears still ringing, mind highly strung. I usually lie on the couch and watch the recorded sports game that I missed (dang it) as it takes a good hour to wind down. Then its up with the kids as I feel guilty for being away that Saturday night. But the fun times and money is just to good to let go.

Djmike209
04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
What about reconsidering your setup? I worked for a company years ago that had a simple set up. It was about a 30 min set up 15 min take down. When I bought my equipment wanted it MY WAY and ended up with a hour set up and about a hour take down.

Long story short we are back to the 20-30 set up and 15 min take downs.

rotoitiman
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
What about reconsidering your setup? I worked for a company years ago that had a simple set up. It was about a 30 min set up 15 min take down. When I bought my equipment wanted it MY WAY and ended up with a hour set up and about a hour take down.

Long story short we are back to the 20-30 set up and 15 min take downs.

20 - 30 minutes setup? Takes me that long to take my equipment out of the van lol.

I think about my setup all the time, and how I could reduce it down. But part of my "client attraction" is my light show (Full DMX, with some uplighting and moving heads) and it is a HORROR to setup and cable management. I think if I did away with DMX and moving heads, I could cut my setup time by half. But I am not sure how many clients I would lose.

Sween
04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
20 - 30 minutes setup? Takes me that long to take my equipment out of the van lol.

:stupid:

rotoitiman
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
:stupid:

I may have been exaggerating a wee bit, but some days feels like forever setting up trussing, moving heads and uplighting. But the money is good as ya know...

Ampedproductions
04-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Our setup is simple too. For probably 90% of our gigs we get by with a 15" sub on wheels and 2 lightweight 12" tops. 4bar/4play combo and a micro star laser tossed in and we are rocking. Of course that last 10% is a b*tch.

ampnation
04-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Simple and easy? That's why I have a trailer and stuff on wheels. hehe

windspeed36
04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't mind the life. I prefer working from say mid-day to 3am than a 9-5 office job. I don't know what it is, but theres that special energy you get travelling around providing sound reinforcement for bands and DJ's. I come home from a gig, physically worn out but mentally on a bit of a buzz, especially if it was a good night.

For me loading isn't an issue - Ford Transit with a hydraulic lift and everything on wheels.

DJAkash
04-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Kill it in the gym. if you work out your traps, triceps,biceps forearms, lower and upper back, quads, calfs, and abs proper workout; you can lift with ease, I pick up my PRX 618XLF alone in the air and walk it a 50 or 60 feet, in the gym I lift 225 when i do trap workouts, and 100 bar for biceps, and i do like 200 range back workouts, at the weight of equipment these days being not even 100lbs, I would say in one year you could get to a point where you will enjoy lifting your speakers and feeling strong ! Also not being fat unhealthy, and getting ripped is cool too ps, chest rotator cuffs and shoulders though not much is used in lifting if you do the other groups, might as well do them :)