PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate "How Much Should I Charge" Thread

Djsmylez
04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
So i have been debating with a DJ friend of mine as to how much a relatively new-on-the-scene DJ should charge for an average wedding.

He has very good equipment (all QSC), decent light show, wireless mics, haze, and can actually mix really, really well, has a good ear for music with a very diverse taste. Can read the crowd decently, but still needs more experience (he's done maybe 10 or fewer weddings and a school dance or two).

He's slowly getting his name out there and garnering contacts.

I told him to shoot for the stars price-wise, because as soon as he begins to low-ball he may get stuck at those prices....

But I can see that he is afraid of pricing himself out of too many gigs because of his lack of experience and not being in the loop long enough for decent exposure.

Should a DJ wait patiently charge less and gradually go up in prices? maybe even doing a free gig here or there for the exposure? or should a DJ (thats really only lacking in extensive experience) hit the ground running and charge market value?

sss18734
04-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I think this really depends on the "average market value" in your city. It fluctuates quite a bit. Do some research and price accordingly.

You can always change your pricing scheme if you find you aren't getting enough work or are getting more than you expect.

windspeed36
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
+1 on that. Tell him to have a look around at what other DJ's are priced at for similar gigs with a similar setup in terms of quantity and quality

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Exactly where Im at. Ive worked for a mobile company for a little while, under 2 years, but have been spinning since 98. This is my 1st year on my own and I have a pretty nice setup... Average price point in my area ranges from 1200-1800 for a standard package with a couple smaller companies charging 800-1200. I started on the bottom of the higher price point but at the top of the smaller companies. Basically I charge 1k$ for a 4 hour reception and add 100$ for each of the ceremony and cocktail hour bringing me to 1200. I have about 10 weddings booked so far this year and have already done 2 plus about 12 parties with some more in the works. My goal was 5 weddings and 15 total DJed events. Looks like I may be at 30-35 plus I have a bridal show (one of the biggest in my market) Thursday and a few volunteer activities I will be doing over the next 2 months that should help me out. I have a couple friends that refer me business and its a huge help.

Definitely dont lowball yourself especially if you have the equipment and are a good DJ... Just get out there and do the trade/bridal shows. Maybe volunteer your time for large events like little league openers or fundraisers with a huge group. Easiest way to get your name out there with a little bit of $$

SummitAudioDJ
04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
How much to charge really depends on your location and what you feel your worth. An Orlando or Jersey wedding can go for $1500-2000 easy to start where as in my little town they range from $400- 1200. The high rollers are only charging more for the reputation they have built over the 20+ years in the business. Not they they have any better equipment or skills that a $600 DJ they are just well known and people will pay for than.

Research your area and shoot for the middle to start. I charge $650 for a standard wedding but I'm sure I had a few people pass me up because I was too cheap despite them going gaga over my set up at a bridal expo. I guess some people think that you always get what you pay for and that I had to have some sort of shortcomings at my price. So I think a way to get around this is to set a higher price point but offer promotional discounts so that you don't seem "too cheap" and people think they are getting a great deal with the discount.