PDA

View Full Version : Mobile DJ using turntables

DJ Riddims
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I was just curious if there are any mobiles out there using a a turntable dvs system. I was thinking about buying a pair of turntables help me improve my scratching and I personally would like to learn how to mix on a turntable. The only thing holding me back is that they are quite expensive and I am not sure if it is such a great investment being a mobile dj where my money can be spent on other equipment. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
I've met some in my area who use turntables and Serato. One thing to consider is that turntables like the SL-1200 weigh a ton! Also, some clients like the look of a DJ using turntables.

djmunster
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
We offer a old school package where we do the show with turntables

DJ A.Blatch
04-23-2012, 11:44 PM
I always take my TTs when i do mobile gigs. I may not use them the entire night (I also take my Kontrol X1) but deffs when the party gets going.

DJVADER
04-24-2012, 12:02 AM
I definitely take my turntables to a gig, because many of my clients really love the look of it and it gets the people going!

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Love the look and feel plus the sound of my tables... Hate my coffin lol. Honestly though my last 2 consultations the grooms have specifically asked if I spin with tables, laptop or an MP3 player. I do use a controller for ceremonies but my tables for the reception. I think these 200$ CL DJs are actually starting to help us out. The last 2 meetings people spoke of weddings they went to and the DJ just had a laptop and speakers or one guy with 3 ipods.

djtanveer
04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I have 2 setups that i use. The main one has real turntables. and the other one is the denon HC4500 serato controller.
I prefer real vinyl because there a lot more controll when youre DJing. also it looks a lot better than just a laptop and a controller.

DJ Scotch
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I use TTX usb Tunrtables with TTM 57SL and I also have Traktor S4.

It entirely depends on the client. If it's a smaller scale party S4 but anything where Client is very specific and knows what he/she is talking about TT with TTM57SL. That's the plan.

I got my Turntables 2 weeks back and TTM57 this weekend. I must say the feel of Turntables are just amazing. gives a great satisfaction.

DJMC
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I have not used a TT at an event since the 90's.

frankwite
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Every since numark came out with the ns7fx my tt's haven't seen the light of day. I can scratch with my ns7 the same way as I could with my tt's. You can also learn how to scratch with the ns7 because of the spinning platters. I have a friend that asked should he buy tt's or ns7 and I told him to go with the ns7 and he hasn't looked back.

Only thing is the ns7 is heavy once you add a flight case. So now that I recently purchased the vci-300 mk2 my ns7 will never leave the house again unless I have a real good reason for the heavy load. I would much rather take the ns7 with me but I can do everything I need to do with the vci 300 (including scratching) that I can do with the ns7 or tt's.

Mrspyaman
04-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I use a pair of techs and a DVS system.

A#1 DJ
04-24-2012, 01:32 PM
could not wait to get rid of my vinyl 20 years ago! but I do see the novelty in them...even "just for show" perhaps?

DJ Riddims
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I would love to do it but the more I think about it the more expensive it becomes. I would have to buy a pair of decks, a dvs system, a coffin, cartridges, and a pair of dicers. That is a little too much, maybe if I find a good deal I'll buy a pair just for home use and see where it goes from there.

DJ Scotch
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I would love to do it but the more I think about it the more expensive it becomes. I would have to buy a pair of decks, a dvs system, a coffin, cartridges, and a pair of dicers. That is a little too much, maybe if I find a good deal I'll buy a pair just for home use and see where it goes from there.

I bought brand new Numark TTX with road ready, two Shure M447H for $1,020 shipped.
I bought TTM 57SL for $900 and I am all set.

Total cost is $2k brand new set up I don't think it can get any better than this :) I may hook up my MPD32 as Midi for effects and looping. :P

Drewbdo
04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I just bought a pair of 1200's. Still looking for the right DVS box, probably go with Maya 44 USB, as I spent $300 on VDJ Pro last year, and I don't want to spend more on Serato box (and have yet another software package to learn). It is expensive... $650 for the pair, $100+ for needles and headshells, control vinyl, flight cases, mixer.... $$$ adds up fast.

I have a Mixdeck ($700 used with Odyssey case) which I love to use, but my buddy spins 1200's and we're hoping to build a dual mixing routine, where we mix together on four decks. Just for show and for fun.

Interracial Tea
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Try Torq?

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Try Torq?

Torq is fun as long as you have 2.0. Ive used Torq for around 5 years and I do love it but I love the stability of serato better. On the plus side you can buy the conectiv for like 75$ and the program for around 200. May be cheaper but Im not sure. When I upgraded I paid the 50$ upgrade fee

DJ Scotch
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Torq is fun as long as you have 2.0. Ive used Torq for around 5 years and I do love it but I love the stability of serato better. On the plus side you can buy the conectiv for like 75$ and the program for around 200. May be cheaper but Im not sure. When I upgraded I paid the 50$ upgrade fee

Yesterday I connected Akai MPD32 with Serato for looping and effects. It's mad fun with that and TTM57SL ;-)

Shay.ca
04-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Ns7! Love it.

- Shay

mattobie
04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Last year I went to a wedding w/ a DJ using turntables. The music kept skipping whenever the dance floor was packed. :uhoh: So they had a second dj keeping guests off 1/2 the dance floor nearest to the DJ so the TT wouldn't skip. LOL at trying to keep a bunch of drunks on 1/2 the dance floor.

How embarassing! :eek:

djdran
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Last year I went to a wedding w/ a DJ using turntables. The music kept skipping whenever the dance floor was packed. :uhoh: So they had a second dj keeping guests off 1/2 the dance floor nearest to the DJ so the TT wouldn't skip.

i personally use the NS7 whenever possible.. and a few + to using the NS7 is that there is no needle to cause skipping... also it has spinning plattes, so the feel is very similar to real vinyl.

ampnation
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I think the client who wants to see turntables MIGHT be just as cool with some of the more vinyl-like controllers like those that have real vinyl platters without the tonearm/needle hassle. VS7, DN-S3900, DN-SC3700 for instance. What they don't want to see is a guy using just a laptop, or a laptop with something like an RMX sitting next to it.

In the end, it's a matter of numbers... how many clients care if you have real turntables? I think as long as your system looks professional and you know how to use it to good effect, very few clients care.

DjAaron
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Exactly what amp said. Most of my clients are really shocked when they see me show up with my Denon MC6000 lol. Once they see what it can do they don't even care. I like the look of turntables but have never used them. Maybe one day I will but I would need a bigger car then lol

frankwite
04-26-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree with ampnation as well. When I would show up at weddings/events with my ns7 I always get yeah he's a real dj because he's spinning real vinyl. I just laugh to myself, because they assume that I have crates of records with me.

I do love the feel of the ns7's real vinyl under my fingertips as well, but I wonder what they will say now that I'm going to be showing up with a vci-300mk2. The decks feel like vinyl but the don't spin and that thing looks like a lighting package all by itself. :) I love it though and it's the closet controller I could find and liked that could do the same things that the ns7 does without the weight.

djdran
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I do love the feel of the ns7's real vinyl under my fingertips as well, but I wonder what they will say now that I'm going to be showing up with a vci-300mk2. The decks feel like vinyl but the don't spin and that thing looks like a lighting package all by itself. :) I love it though and it's the closet controller I could find and liked that could do the same things that the ns7 does without the weight.

I totally agree, when i dont' want to deal with the weight issues of the NS7, i bring my NS6.. alot lighter and easier to bring to a gig.. one issue i had with my old VCI-300 is that it looks like a toy (even tho it was a very capable DJ unit).. it wasn't a big issue... but the NS7/NS6/TT + mixer looks alot more professional IMO...

sss18734
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I offer it as an option and will bring my 1210MK5's if the clients request it. The black Technics + the S4 in between look really sharp :)

frankwite
04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I totally agree, when i dont' want to deal with the weight issues of the NS7, i bring my NS6.. alot lighter and easier to bring to a gig.. one issue i had with my old VCI-300 is that it looks like a toy (even tho it was a very capable DJ unit).. it wasn't a big issue... but the NS7/NS6/TT + mixer looks alot more professional IMO...

LOL! I agree that they do look more professional. I remember seeing a guy in one of the "post your setup" threads and he had his VCI-300 with a laptop sitting on a six feet table. It looked ridiculous to me and I thought I would never purchase that thing. So when I decided to buy one because I tried the vci-300 out and loved it and it was super ligthweight, I instantly purchased a coffin to go with it and the stanton uberstand (instead of my ugly L-stand).

I wanted to make sure that I dressed it up a bit to make sure that it didn't look like a dmx lighting show on my table. It made a world of difference in my eyes and looks very professional. It sure beats it just sitting there lighting up the ceiling.