PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting TRAP Muzik (Hip Hop) Battle: Austin GoGreen vs J. Overcash

JonAvalon
04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/jovercash-vs-austingogreen-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/jovercash-vs-austingogreen-2.mp3)

Rules:
20-30 minutes
Technics 1200's or other Turntables (No CDJ's or NS7/NS6). Serato SSL (NO SYNC).
NO post-editing. Effects are OK.
Straight bangers, NO Crooklyn Clan type pre-made mixes/segways.

charlie419
04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
both mixes were good. tough choice. i voted 2

LeFresh
04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Mix 1 came correct, it had me in the zone; ready to party!
Track selection, scratching and mixing were on point.

Wasn't really the track selection/mood of mix 2

I'm voting mix 1

Sigma
04-27-2012, 08:12 AM
This sort of hip-hop really ain't my thing, but........

Mix 1 - Solid mixing. The scratching was decent and added to it. Overall, I thought it was a really good mix, although the end was abrupt as it just cut off.

Mix 2 - Your mixing is slick and well timed, but the overall mix was kinda like a well cooked meal without any seasoning on it.

Had mix 2 featured a bit of scratching/trick mixing I would have gone for that one, but I'm going for mix 1. Both were very good though.

Breeze215
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Both Mixes were good but I Mix 2's song selection was better and transitions were a bit more smooth

Austin GoGreen
05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
good job overcash, very clean... Oh and s/o to turntablist Sigma for chiming in. I'll keep practicing man I just got down some transforms and flares. For some reason 5 minutes got cut off the end of my entry? oh well

J. Overcash
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks man, I'm more than down for a rematch too.

Buddy McKarthur
05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Mix 1:
You have great verse/beat juggling skills. Really like the way you can spot similarities between 2 songs and tell if they would sound good together. Very talented...don't like the lyrics though. Hmm...there was kind of an awkward silence or pause around the 5:20 mark, it kind of ruined the flow of the mix. There's some weird looping shit going on around 6:25...I dunno what that was all about. The Lil Wayne was a big turn off for me...I'm not a big fan of him, let alone all those other dudes talking over a beat. I really like those sudden transitions you do...very smooth. The scratching at around 11:25 sounded kind of sloppy and didn't really go with the mix. Didn't like the transition at about 12:05.
I really enjoyed the mix. You have great skills in beat juggling, verse juggling and occasional transitions. Work on your scratching and transitions, and you'll be good. Also, the end was very abrupt and startling. Try to bring your mixes to a smoother ending. Good job!

Mix 2:
Your transitions are very basic and thats ok, to an extent. It gets a little boring after a while, so work on making your transitions a little more complicated and interesting. Also, mix it up more! Instead of just playing song after song, mix it up. Learn to beat juggle and cut in and out of songs...make it interesting! All in all, it wasn't a bad mix, but it wasn't perfect. Nice work :)

Ok, I've listened to the mixes and my vote goes to mix 1. I was captured by its amazing beat/verse juggling and the DJs great ability to pick out similarities in songs. Thanks for the mix :)

Austin GoGreen
05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks Buddy, do you have any mixes up anywhere I can give props too?!

I don't really like the lyrics of these songs either, but to my defense, I was looking for a "trap" (hood rap) battle. I like to push myself in all sorts of genres. I play a lot of this stuff in Cincy, OH. The last 5 minutes of my mix were really dope but DJF cut it off somehow.

Overcash, let's make it happen.