PDA

View Full Version : First Relay for Life Event in 2012 is Over!

MrDJ
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, I had my first Relay for Life event in 2012 this past weekend, and it went really well! It was the biggest event I have done in my time as a DJ. Way more sound than lights for that event. I'm not sure who else on here has worked a Relay for Life event before but they are a lot of fun! They are normally 12 hours straight but ours was only around 9 hours.

I used my 4 PV215s and QSC 3600-watt amp for the mains and it was plenty of sound for the high school stadium parking lot we were in. I also had my 2 custom built 18" subs and 2100-watt amp. Everything was run through a snake I rented and the sound booth was a little over 40 feet away from the stage. Longest runs I have done so far. I was using my old Peavey mixer (only 4 XLR channels, but it was enough for what was needed). All that and a few lights, plus my 12 foot tall inflatable screen and 6000 lumen projector (also rented). The video feed was run through an Ethernet cable back to the sound booth.

I had a lot of compliments throughout the night and I was also asked by 2 other Relays for my contact information. Both of those events will be even bigger. I am very excited!

I am really trying to get more involved in small production staging than being a DJ and I really think this will help me get my foot in the door with a lot of people!

DJMC
04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Word is now out that you will bend over backwards for FREE, and you'll surely get more requests for free events that pay $0.

Not sure why anyone would want to be involved in "small production staging" as these are usually Non-Profits and Schools, organizations that do not have $$$.

Just ask "ampnation," he tried this market and is now becoming a wedding DJ, because he saw the light & opened up to more lucrative opportunities.

Otherwise, you've got a very expensive "Hobby" with nothing to show for it!!!

MrDJ
04-23-2012, 03:15 PM
By no means was this event free. I still charged quite a bit for this event, although I do give the American Cancer Society a hefty discount (due to the fact that I am a cancer survivor). By "small production staging," I am referring to bands and presentation setups which are fairly easy to come by where I live. A lot of major companies look for setups such as mine for their yearly meetings and banquets and such. I am definitely not talking about any free events.

I also DJ several weddings a year, as well as school dances, street dances, etc. I just primarily enjoy the pro sound aspect for stages and bands. Luckily, I am one of about 3 DJs in my community which covers several growing cities and I have the largest system out of all of them (I do not mean to brag). As far as I know, I am also the only DJ in my area that has the capabilities to run sound for groups and bands.