PDA

View Full Version : Just gave an $800 quote and she's still haggling...

Sween
04-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Her email...

Hi. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken but I believe your website states that your wedding packages start at $695.00. So I am a bit confused regarding your estimate. Could you please break it down for me. I am having a small wedding and it is only 4 hours.

She's trying to hang me on a statement where I say and I quote. "Most weddings start from $695 to $995." Emphasis on the word START. I quoted her $795 for a basic package (no lights), which I think is mighty generous for a September Friday.

Anyhow... I changed that statement on my website now. And sent her this response:

The $695-$995 range on the site is a general statement that includes any discounts. We offer different discounts for different times of the year or week. In your case we offered 20% which brings your starting quote to $795. If your date was on an off-peak weekend (or Mon-Thurs) we would offer an additional 10% which would have made it $695. We make that statement on the website in order to let people know that our starting base quotes are always under $995, and sometimes as low as $695. I apologize for any confusion.

Our quotes are always the same for 4 or 5 hours (because we want to be set up and sound checked before your first guest arrives, even if we are not playing music… so we always plan on being there for 5 hours). Additionally, the size of the venue is more important than the number of guests.

Again, I apologize for any confusion… but I feel that we offer tremendous value with our pricing. We do not normally discount September weekends at all… however, this year we don’t have many openings left, so we decided to try a limited time 20% deal in order to fill in the remaining dates. We offer professional service on par with most services which normally quote well over $1000.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

If she tries haggling anymore I'm just going to cut her loose.

Sorry for the rant!

mrkleen
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
When you lower your standards and invite low ballers - this is what you get.

knuhkles
04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
When you lower your standards and invite low ballers - this is what you get.

Exactly

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sween
04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I totally forgot I had that line on my website... My normal pricing starts at $995, but I decided to run a 20% off to fill last minute openings.

I did not think I would be inviting lowballers.... especially since I usually push the upsells and can get well over $1000 when I add lighting, uplighting, cocktail speakers, ceremony, etc...

My point was I think $800 is a damn good price... (for my locale) and even if this chick comes back and wants to book anyway, I might run for the hills!

mrkleen
04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Hard to say....I mean, I am planning my own wedding this year and I am trying to save a few bucks here and there. Asking for the best price doesnt always make someone trouble....but asking for the lowest price and THEN trying to haggle like you are in Tijuana = trouble for sure.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah, its hard to tell really. I mean, unless there's more that that email she sent that you didn't post, it genuinely sounds to me like she saw one thing on your site, and you quoted her something that didn't make sense to her and she just wants some clarification. If I was having a small reception, shorter than the normal time frame, I'd probably expect to be on the lower end of the range listed on your site as well. Given what you posted, I wouldn't say she's trouble, she's probably just not looking to spend alot of money.

If you want to cut her loose that's your call. Personally, I wouldn't take too many events at $800, but that's me factoring in my costs and market. I'd take that pricing off your website if your rates have raised, but I'd say you have to honor those rates on this one.

Sween
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Okay. wording is removed from site.

But...

"Most weddings start between $695-$995." <--What was on the site.

When I give you a starting price of $795... how can you complain? Why does she think she automatically qualifies for the lowest price? I would have given the lower price if it was in mid February maybe or on a Tuesday... but not one of my busiest months.

If she takes the price I gave her I'll go along... but I'm not haggling. $800 is a great deal.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I wasn't jumpin on ya bro. I don't think she's complaining, I think she's looking for clarification. Think about it from someone who isn't in the business. Most weddings are 100+ people, mine is half that... Most weddings are 5 hours, mine is 4. I read, most weddings start between 695 and 995.. I'm probably thinking im gonna be on the lower end of that spectrum. She wasn't thinking about days of the week and seasons and all like you or I do. Either way, she's got clarification- if she presses you more, drop the wedding. I was just giving you my take on it. :)

wilson
04-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Sounds to me like she's just asking a legit question. I mean, most people don't have a clue there would be a difference between Fri-Sat and the rest of the week. Or that certain months of the year is jam packed for us. I've done this for so long that sometimes I forget too that "common sense" is pretty well out the window for my clients and their event. Most likely this is the first and only event they've ever planned. I'd just tell her that the lowest number is during your slow months or during the week (like you did). I don't see any red flags on her trying to low ball you though to be honest man. To me, her question seems pretty polite?

wilson
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I wasn't jumpin on ya bro. I don't think she's complaining, I think she's looking for clarification. Think about it from someone who isn't in the business. Most weddings are 100+ people, mine is half that... Most weddings are 5 hours, mine is 4. I read, most weddings start between 695 and 995.. I'm probably thinking im gonna be on the lower end of that spectrum. She wasn't thinking about days of the week and seasons and all like you or I do. Either way, she's got clarification- if she presses you more, drop the wedding. I was just giving you my take on it. :)

LOL. That's what I was trying to say also (you must type faster than me). Not ragging on you either.

DJMC
04-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I would have replied: "$695 is the rate for ****** attire, no lights, no pre-event meeting. Do you want your DJ in t-shirt/jeans, without meeting him before the event? I'll send you another contract/proposal."

That is all that needs to be said. Your reply was too long. Save your typing, offer a cheaper alternative so she understands WHY you're $100 more than expected.

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I would have replied: "$695 is the rate for ****** attire, no lights, no pre-event meeting. Do you want your DJ in t-shirt/jeans, without meeting him before the event? I'll send you another contract/proposal."

That is all that needs to be said. Your reply was too long. Save your typing, offer a cheaper alternative so she understands WHY you're $100 more than expected.

Ditto except for the T-shirt/Jeans bit. :) I think your client is asking a fair question since in her mind her requirements are as basic as it gets.

VjQue
04-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Her email...

She's trying to hang me on a statement where I say and I quote. "Most weddings start from $695 to $995." Emphasis on the word START. I quoted her $795 for a basic package (no lights), which I think is mighty generous for a September Friday.

Anyhow... I changed that statement on my website now. And sent her this response:

If she tries haggling anymore I'm just going to cut her loose.

Sorry for the rant!Well unless your website had specific reason why You charged $695 I see she is asking a very legitimate question.

She said her wedding is small and 4 hour's. and that really does fit a basic wedding package. But I wouldn't put up Quotes on my site without pictures and why that is the basic package pricing.

Manu
04-24-2012, 02:56 AM
I think she got confused and was expecting the lowest of the low, as in 695. My guess is that she didn't take into account other factors purely because she's not aware of these. However you're now at the point where she should either accept that quote or try to find a better deal from the competition.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Ugh. Just had the same crap happen to me. I quoted the bride at 1000$ for 5 hours with ceremony and cocktail hour plus some lighting. She came back to me and wanted to cut the time back to 3 hours so I dropped the price to 750. Then she asked if she gave me all the music to be played and no lights how much will it be?... Ok fine 600, and I only kept going because she is a close friends friend and was stuck. Fast forward 5 weeks and we have our planning meeting. At the meeting they want to go to 4 hours and completely changed the format (I just lol in my head), how much will that be? Back up to 750 and no music from her... Whatever... Its a March wedding and Im not booked, Ill take it.

I do have to admit that the couple turned out to be awesome and a lot of fun plus I got a 100$ tip at the end of the night. Just kinda annoying dealing with people trying to get bottom dollar

Kingbob182
05-02-2012, 12:26 AM
As someone getting ready (Slowly) to get into this business. This is a very interesting thread.
I think my website will have a table with packages with a little "*These prices may vary up to 10% depending on the date of your event."

Also, how did you guys work out your pricing?
was it a case of just undercutting the local competition?
Slowly building it up from "enough to cover my expenses"?
Just what you think you're worth?

Im not sure what to charge when I'm starting out?

SummitAudioDJ
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
My website has the simple clause: "prices subject to change please call for an accurate quote".

Ampedproductions
05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't put prices On my website. :)

wilson
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't put prices On my website. :)

This. Just like I tell people when they say, "My sister Jane booked you just a few months ago for $600 for a wedding just like mine for six hours and you quoted me $700". Me, "Yes, but it was during January. Your wedding is in September which is one of the busiest months. You are also expecting 3 times the amount of people and in a much bigger venue which requires more equipment and time." Plus, with fuel, travel time, venue setup, etc...I'd hate to honor a price that is going to require a lot of work, or lose business to something I could of done for a cheap price but had minimal time or work into.