PDA

View Full Version : CDJ-350 vs NDX 400

sephi
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I and another DJ with whom I often work both use Numark NDX 400s. Recently he mentioned wanting to switch to CDJ-350s because he thought they would be more reliable. We've been using four of these Numarks for over a year with no real issues. I just looked at the CDJ, and the price seems ridiculous compared to the NDX. What exactly would we be getting from the CDJs versus the NDXes? We use Scratch Live, usually with a Rane Sixty Two, so stuff like key lock and looping doesn't matter. Afaik, we'd get HID and the ability to play WAVs instead of just mp3s from USB (e.g., we could play a Scratch Live control signal via USB instead of CD) - doesn't seem to justify paying 3x the cost of the Numarks. Anyone own these decks?

Manu
04-24-2012, 04:52 AM
The price is ridiculous indeed, then numark's reliability regarding their cd players is not great. Then the sound quality + ease of use is much better on pioneer. Numarks players are just revamped from old software and the disc drives on them are low cost sonys. Personally I won't be buying a numark cd player again, had no end of problems which ended up costing me as much as if I had bouht pioneer in the first place...

Buuut in your case: if it ain't broken don't fix it. Unless you really do fancy the upgrade, and I do understand why it's hardly justified to pay 3x the price just for HID + wav playback. If you can afford, go for it and save 2 of the numarks as a backup?