PDA

View Full Version : 1200's mk2 pitch fader problem

Spife
04-23-2012, 10:40 AM
When I'm on serato and I'm playing a track, if I slide the pitch fader down, nothing happens UNTIL at some point the bpm drops by 2. When I slide it up, the bpm actually lowers a little first, and then starts to go up. This is true on both decks and makes beatmatching a pain, how do I fix this? iirc this has something to do with the quartz lock.

Also, instead of making another thread I'll just ask it here: it's pretty easy to change the lights (both power and the pop up lights) on the 1200 right?

Thanks for the help!

DTR
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
It's not the quartz lock. If it's happening around zero it might be poor calibration or the infamous dead zone (not the quartz lock, that's a common misconception). The solution is to remove the click, disable the 0% bypass circuit and calibrate. There are instructions in another thread on how to do that. Or it could be that the fader is worn and needs replacing.

Bear in mind that the bpm counter on Serato isn't a reliable indication of what the pitch is doing. The strobe lights on the turntable are a much better indication.

Also, instead of making another thread I'll just ask it here: it's pretty easy to change the lights (both power and the pop up lights) on the 1200 right?

Yes.

Spife
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
It's not the quartz lock. If it's happening around zero it might be poor calibration or the infamous dead zone (not the quartz lock, that's a common misconception). The solution is to remove the click, disable the 0% bypass circuit and calibrate. There are instructions in another thread on how to do that. Or it could be that the fader is worn and needs replacing.

Bear in mind that the bpm counter on Serato isn't a reliable indication of what the pitch is doing. The strobe lights on the turntable are a much better indication.

Yes.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Now I know what the problem is, fixing it will be a lot easier.

steeevo
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
how many people out there remove the click and quartz lock? i have always thought about doing it.

djpenguin
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
how many people out there remove the click and quartz lock? i have always thought about doing it.

It's not the quartz lock that you're removing, it's the electrical part of the pitch control on-off switch (the 'click' is the mechanical part of that switch.) In any event, I've done it many times, and it's a very useful mod.

DTR
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
how many people out there remove the click and quartz lock?

It's not the quartz lock that you're removing

There is a mod that removes the actual quartz lock (and so makes the deck less accurate). That's why it's important to make that distinction. Very often noobs search for tutorials to remove the click / bypass and end up with the wrong thing.