PDA

View Full Version : Record Revirginizer - Good ish for cleaning vinyl

Sigma
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I've been getting back into buying vinyl recently and I bought a few old records that looked in mint condition, but they sounded very crackly/clicky cos of dust and other crap that had got into the groove over the years. I've tried various different cleaning methods with varying levels of success, but I found a product online called Record Revirginizer and decided to give it a go. It was designed by an Australian vinyl enthusiast and was featured on a TV show called "The New Inventors": -

http://i.imgur.com/zsZyC.jpg

Some of you may have seen the wood glue method for cleaning records and this works in the same way to that, except the product is actually designed for cleaning vinyl and is much easier to apply.

The liquid is a bit like shower gel and even smells a bit like soap. What you do is pour some out on your vinyl, then massage it into the groove with your finger tips, making sure you cover the entire side as evenly as you can. After a few hours it dries and turns into a kind of latex-type material, then you peel it off in one go and it takes all the dust/crap with it. I found the best way to apply it is to put the record on your turntable, then pour the Revirginizer onto it while spinning the platter manually with your hand. The first time I used it I put WAY too much on and it took about 15 hours to dry, but the second time I put much less on and it was dry in 3-4 hours.

Pros: -

Does a great job of restoring vinyl and is far superior to using a carbon fibre brush
Is non-toxic and smells like soap
Leaves no residue whatsoever on your records

Cons: -

Expensive if you have lots of vinyl to clean
Small learning curve in getting used to how much to apply
Takes several hours to dry

This stuff isn't going to fix up scratched records or anything like that, but if you have records with a lot of dirt/dust in the groove, mould on the vinyl surface, or if something has been spilled on the record, then I'd give this stuff two thumbs up.

http://recordrevirginizer.com

And no, this isn't spam. I have no affiliation to this product whatsoever. I bought some for the first time last week and thought I'd mention it as there's a few vinyl heads on here.

Mr Rupee
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Looks like a good product. How much does it cost?

Jason Cerna
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
ah. now i have a real excuse to clean off my records.

*but no shipping to the u.s.*

:(

Sigma
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Looks like a good product. How much does it cost?
In the UK I paid £24 including shipping for the bottle in that pic. That size of bottle should do 32 sides of a 12", so it costs about 75p per side. Kinda pricey, but then it's not like you'll be using this on every record you own - it's just for the ones that need that extra bit of love.

Mr Rupee
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Ok cool. May order me some for some of those older, neglected records.

KLH
11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Gotta look for this. Any other alternatives that work well?

Marc S
11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
wood glue

Panotaker
11-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I have tried just about every record cleaning method out there. The problem with these wood glue methods is that they take forever, although they do work. I finally broke down and bought a used VPI-16.5 record cleaning machine. Now it takes about a minute to clean a record, and it's ready to play right away instead of having to wait a couple of hours for some liquid to dry. If you got a lot of records to clean, invest in a good record cleaning machine. They pay for themselves in no time, and you can clean your record right before you play it instead of waiting hours to play it.

Hanginon
04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
+1 on VPI's record cleaning machines. I used to make my own cleaning soultion - half vodka, half isoproponol, and a touch of soap as a wetting agent.

Of all the stuff I bought when I was into "High End Analog Audio", my VPI-16.5 was the absolute best purchase I made.

drzinc
04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
For deep cleaning I use the wood glue method for most cleaning I use a good dish soap and an animal hair brush then rinse with distilled water. don't use tap water too much chemicals like fluoride, calcium,iron which leave a residue and hence noise.

Tobias Enstrom
04-29-2015, 11:50 AM
A record cleaning machine such as the VIP 16.5 is well worth it! The 2nd best investment I made (the 1st was buying decks).

I use a Mofi Fidelity brush with L'Art du Son cleaning fluid on a VPI 16.5. The records come up a treat. If that doesn't work then I use slightly diluted Isopropyl Alcohol, let it soak for a few mins, clean it off and then another round of the L'Art du Son.

Not tried any of the unconventional methods yet.