PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a new setup

windspeed36
04-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is looking soon to move into working solo or as the lead and needs his own complete rig. He has asked me to give him some advice as to what to get in terms of speakers and lighting for catering events such as DJ's, bands and general PA hire for crowds up to the 800-1000 mark. He's very well funded so cost is not an issue.

• Must be active
• Somewhat compact
• Easy on the eyes if its a line array (no visible rigging)
• Scalable
• Good mixer section on the wedges for stand alone use

• 6-8 wedges
• 2 drum/side fills
• FOH system small line array that can be pole mounted?

What he has outlined has led me to the QSC KW and KLA series due to the expansive mixer section. I personally haven't used much of the QSC stuff for long periods of time, so I was wondering if you could shed some light on my suggested setup in terms of speakers for him.

• 7 KW122's for wedge and FOH
• 2 KW153's for side/drum fills
• 6 KLA12 for FOH
• 6 KLA181 for FOH
Would you go with the KW/KLA option or would you go with another layout? Here in Aus, Yorkville and JTR are both unheard of so...

Cheers for any help and advice you can give me.

jayhwk
04-23-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm not a big fan of the constant curvature array option, at least for this application. It's main benefit is that it controls vertical coverage. Does he work in venues with a balcony? He's probably going to want to expand horizontally for most of his events. That won't happen with the fixed 90 degree horizontal coverage of the KLA.

Besides, 800-1000 for live music is getting seriously close to actual pro rig territory. Could he pick up a used EV X-Array, (not sure of model #s) big old Turbosound, or EAW KF rig for FOH? At least around here, you could probably buy one for a similar price to the KLA.

The KW for wedges and fills sounds like a good plan, but I wouldn't get hung up about the mixer section. If he's super worried about the mixer, pick up a Soundcraft Notepad mixer for $50 and gaff tape it to the speaker.

windspeed36
04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Not much of the work here has a balcony so thats nothing to worry about. The 800ish gigs are indoors with a dance floor with maybe 500 people and the rest spread throughout the room. He's not aiming to do big outdoor festival stuff, more just a rig that he can use solo for bands and DJ's. Anything bigger and he'll give me a call for the Meyer.

As far as coverage, most of the events we do we don't tend to have a problem with coverage so..

I'll take a look at the EV gear cheers

jayhwk
04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
EV Xi-1122 and Xi-1152 are pole mountable and are very excellent speakers. The 1152 can be arrayed and sound very good doing it. I just don't know about availability where you are. I got some 1122s for $450 a speaker here in the US, but with amplifier and DSP costs I think they'll probably be about $1k each... not too shabby for a pro level trap box.

Note that EV Deltamax 1122 and 1152 boxes are the same thing as the Xi series (the Xi has a neo HF driver so it's lighter).