PDA

View Full Version : New guy (again?) needs advice on sound equipment

es755
04-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm new to dj'ing. But I'm not looking to be a spinnin' 'n' scratchin' dj...just a simple mobile dj doing gigs at wedding receptions, some small bars. I have a pretty wide range of songs from the 60's to the present. A lot of rock, country, some rap/hip-hop, oldies, etc. Over 10,000 tracks so far and growing.

I've got a dj program on my laptop I've been working with and learning how to mix and sample and such. But now I'm stuck.

Put all this together, and you're not going to hear it across a gymnasium, ballroom, or a backyard full of people working on their next buzz. And naturally, the volume needs to somewhat keep up with the blood alcohol level of the guests (to a point...noise citations cost extra).

What I'm looking for is what I need to get the tunes from the computer to the audience. Mixer, amps, or a mixer/amp combo, small monitor speakers and decent pa speakers. I'm not doing turntables or anything.

SO, what do y'all suggest?

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 12:06 AM
What software do you have? If its Traktor or Virtual DJ, try a controller like the Denon DN-MC6000. Then get a powered speaker like QSC K10's on tripods. Hook them up with XLR cables and you're good to go.

windspeed36
04-23-2012, 01:22 AM
What sorta budget have you got for this and what size crowds at what sorta venue are you aiming to cater for? A pair of K10's may suffice at a backyard event however they'll be slaughtered in a gymnasium.