PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about the Rodec Scratchbox?

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 01:30 PM
I've bought a Rodec Scratchbox dj mixer off e-bay off a guy here in the UK, and he says that it's got a European plug and that i'll need an adapter, but I was wondering whether I should get an adapter or cut the European plug off and fit a standard 3-pin British plug, what do you guys think?

pete
04-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I would probably cut the plug off.
Same voltage, so no difference.
The only thing is if you think you could sell it to a european later, in that case an adaptor plug will do the same job. Plus the power adaptor is not standard so you don't want to butcher the job...

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 02:34 PM
As far as I can tell, in the Scratchbox manual it states that the mixer comes with a standard 230v ac adapter, so....I don't plan on selling it for years and years and when I eventually do in about 5 years time or so i'll only sell it to someone else here in the UK. I've fitted enough plugs in my time to be able to well and truly do a clean job of cutting off the 2-pin plug and fitting a 13A/230v 3-pin plug. Although if the very end of the 2-pin plug has a big transformer on then i'll have no option other than to use an 3-pin adapter. I'll see it when the mixer arrives with me. Thanks for the help though mate, nice one man.

:)

Estacy
04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
it has an external power supply, but where exactly I dont know

richard stringer
04-23-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm wondering if it's like a lot of dj mixers, a wall wart type ac adapter, a big black box which is right at the end of the plug so you plug in the massive black box. I prefer mixers with built in power supplies which have IEC connectors on the mixer, they're pretty much universal and easier to find a power cable.

monomer
04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm wondering if it's like a lot of dj mixers, a wall wart type ac adapter, a big black box which is right at the end of the plug so you plug in the massive black box. I prefer mixers with built in power supplies which have IEC connectors on the mixer, they're pretty much universal and easier to find a power cable.

External power supplies keep heat out of the mixer. I don't mind them.

-as long as their NOT "wall wort" style.

richard stringer
04-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I got the mixer, the power ac adapter is fine, it's not a wall wart but the transformer box which is built into the power cable is pretty damn heavy, heavier than any dj mixer's transformer box i've ever seen or owned. I'll tell you one thing i'm a little annoyed about though, the Scratchbox is so bg it won't fit in my coffin flightcase, it's too high, by high I mean tall, from the top where the inputs/outputs are to the bottom where the headphone sockets are etc...Now it means i've gotta scout round shops and internet sites for some kind of a flightcase which it fits in.

Estacy
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
External power supplies keep heat out of the mixer. I don't mind them.

also, theoretically, they keep a noise source out of the mixer, away from in and outputs potentially delivering a cleaner sound output. If you can hear this I dont know, but theoretically its possible

richard stringer
04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Well to be honest maybe if you measured the noise using test equipment you might be able to hear it but on most pa systems or in most people's homes you most likely wouldn't be able to hear a difference in noise between built in power supplies and external power supplies.

Scrap McNapps
05-09-2012, 01:15 AM
There is a north american distributer for the Scratchbox. Call them up for a 120V plug.

richard stringer
05-09-2012, 03:30 AM
There is a north american distributer for the Scratchbox. Call them up for a 120V plug.

I'm in the UK, not USA,