PDA

View Full Version : Denon DNX600 or Rodec Scratchbox?

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 03:45 AM
I've got a choice to buy either the Rodec Scratchbox or Denon DNX600, both used in mint condition but don't know which to get because i've not used either. I'v read reviews that the Scratchbox is the ultimate dj scratch mixer if you can afford it with awesome sound quality but also read the Denon is a fantastic mixer too. Which of these mixers would you choose if you could afford either? and like me, don't use effects at all? Which has the best sound quality too?

:P

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the reply, yeah I think i'll go with the Rodec then mate, all I seem to hear is how it's the rolls royce of scratch mixers but the only thing that makes it not the choice of most scratch dj's is the price of it new. I've found one used in mint condition though for £350 (here in the UK).

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Right I bought the Rodec Scratchbox, hopefully it'll be so good it's even better than my old Rane TTM56 and Allen & Heath Xone 02. Now i'll be the geezer with the best dj mixer in my town woo hoo, well buzzin man.

:)

Scrap McNapps
05-08-2012, 06:37 AM
You will LOVE the Rodec Scratchbox.

richard stringer
05-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I got the Rodec and holy sh*t it's amazing, it has the best sound quality i've ever heard on a dj mixer, and in fact i'm gonna take a leap of faith kind of here (because maybe people might strongly disagree with me) and say that it has slightly better sound quality than even the Rane TTM56, of which i've had two of them before. It beats the Allen and Heath Xone 02 as well for sound quality and up until hearing my Scratchbox for the first time, I personally classed the Xone 02 and Rane TTM56 as the best sounding scratch mixer available that i'd heard. The vu meters seem to be extremely accurate too which is a nice suprise on a dj mixer, I especially love how when you press the button to switch the vu meters from channel vu meter levels to see vu meter levels of the master vu levels the channel faders operate pre master vu meters, so that moving the channel faders up and down changes the level on the vu meters when 'Master' is selected.

This means you can set gain structure more accurately. Most dj mixer's vu meters are pre channel fader so moving the channel faders up and down doesn't change the vu meters at all. The way it is on the Scratchbox gives you a very clear and precise reading of the vu meter levels all the way through the mixer so you know for a fact nothing is clipping anywhere in the mixer. The crossfade is butter smooth on the Scratchbox too, easily as nice as the TTM56, the curves for line faders and crossfade also are fantastic, and I personally think the best sounding curves available and i've used most of the decent scratch mixers out there (not quite all, but nearly all of them at one time or another). Vestax PMC-05Pro, Allen & Heathe Xone 02, Ecler Hak360 and Hak380, Rane TTM56, Ecler Nuo, Urei 1601E, you name it. In fact the only thing I don't like about the Scratchbox is that the headphone amplifier isn't very loud.

I mean don't get me wrong it's the most clean sounding and pristine sound quality headphone amplifier i've ever heard on ANY headphone output on ANY piece of equipment EVER, and at home it's perfectly loud enough but in a club, hmm. I doubt it's gonna be able to give me the output I need to hear over the top of two JBL MRX515 cabs on full blast 2ft away from my ears being powered by a bridged QSC RMX1450 which i'm gonna be using for dj monitors.

But not to worry, i'm getting myself a FiiO E7 portable headphone amplifier/DAC to connect to the Scratchbox so there's enough headphone spl for me to hear over the two MRX515 cabs. Anyway, overall the Scratchbox is a f**king fantastic dj mixer and beats every dj mixer i've ever used and i've used more than 40 different ones in the past, 10 of which retail for more than £400, but I guess the Scratchbox IS a £900 dj mixer so what do you expect.

rokuez
06-03-2012, 07:03 AM
cool review in LA it seems like the rodec scratchbox is at least twice as expensive as a ttm56

but it sounds like it might be worth it from your review

richard stringer
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I didn't even know you'd replied, sorry, well over here in the UK the Scratchbox is £900 and the TTM56S is £700 which is only £200 price difference. But, hell yeah the TTM56S is definately an absolutely fantastic mixer, and I always thought it was the best scratch mixer available until I got my Scratchbox. I personally think the sound quality of the Scratchbox is better than the TTM56S, especially the headphone amplifier which on the Scratchbox is amazing, i've never heard such a seriously beautiful headphone amp on any mixer ever.