PDA

View Full Version : "...so...do you make any money doing this?"

rocket's ass
04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
How much of the profits do you put back into the business vs. spending on other non business stuff?

DYM
04-21-2012, 09:05 PM
90% business... going two years strong.

SummitAudioDJ
04-22-2012, 08:38 AM
I have a bad habit of buying new gear or lighting with what I make but plan on stopping that soon (hopefully). I work a full time night shift job that includes every other friday / saturday night to pay the bills. Needless to say I DJ part time, even more so since I had my first baby 8 months ago. Honestly I wouldn't want to make a full living out of it. Set up and take down is a killer on the body and I would eventually punch a drunk guest if I was playing every week.

Dix
04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
How much of the profits do you put back into the business vs. spending on other non business stuff?

Its hard to say... This is part time for us & we just do 1 or 2 ... maybe 3 gigs a month is all we want, just to have a little extra spending money to take a trip or something occasionally. If I decide to buy new lights OR if I NEED to buy new lights etc, we do, but in our situation, its not all about business from a monetary aspect... just something to generate a little extra play money or for extra &/or unexpected expenditures like air conditioner goes out or a set of tires etc.

I will add that we just bought a 6 X 10 cargo trailer.

Mystic
04-22-2012, 01:22 PM
All my money has been going back into my recording studio lately.

bumpyjonas
04-22-2012, 02:59 PM
I work a full-time career; djing has been on and off part time for the past 14 years. I have some months I am playing every weekend, and some months I have work commitments, which limits djing to maybe 1-2 times a month.

80% profits from djing is put back into the business.

MrDJ
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Usually, around 50% goes into equipment upgrades and 50% goes into savings.During the beginning of each college semester, however, more money goes into saving than equipment for obvious reasons... :banghead:

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 12:07 AM
90% business... going two years strong.

Ditto

Sween
04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
For the first 3 years I put MORE than 100% back into the business. Recording a net loss on my taxes.

Now I HAVE to make a profit and concentrate on at least 50% of net revenue being profit.

FYI... The IRS says you have to have 3 profitable years out of the first 5 (extendable to 7), or your business will be reclassified as a "hobby".

You're not going to get rich doing this. Plain and simple.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
You're not going to get rich doing this. Plain and simple.

Disagree. There are many $1M+ gross/annual DJ companies operating in the US. Open that up to $500k+/yr. and its a ton more. You absolutely can make a good living doing this.

Sween
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Disagree. There are many $1M+ gross/annual DJ companies operating in the US. Open that up to $500k+/yr. and its a ton more. You absolutely can make a good living doing this.

Agreed. I'll rephrase.

"You're not going to get rich doing this without a substantial investment of time, effort, and capital."

Meaning... This is not EASY money. If you work hard and build up a premium multi-op service, and put in years of hard work growing the company... you CAN do very well. There is LOTS of competition out there and you have to be the BEST. It's not easy.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Agreed. I'll rephrase.

"You're not going to get rich doing this without a substantial investment of time, effort, and capital."

Meaning... This is not EASY money. If you work hard and build up a premium multi-op service, and put in years of hard work growing the company... you CAN do very well. There is LOTS of competition out there and you have to be the BEST. It's not easy.

Isn't this how life works for the majority of people?
Seems like that's the basic formula for success/wealth unless you hit the lottery, are born into money, hit a jackpot gambling... uhh... running out of ways off the top of my head to make a ton of money without substantial effort. Oh yea, marry rich.. lol.

Sween
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Isn't this how life works for the majority of people?
Seems like that's the basic formula for success/wealth unless you hit the lottery, are born into money, hit a jackpot gambling... uhh... running out of ways off the top of my head to make a ton of money without substantial effort. Oh yea, marry rich.. lol.

Yeah. It just surprises me how much I have raised my bar each year and still have a mountain to climb.

I don't think many DJ's realize how tough it actually is until they get in to it.

DJStevieRay
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I spend too much, in the 2 years since I started my business my expenses have totaled close to $40K. Which includes the equipment, and ALOT of advertising. This year I already have spend close to $10K. 2 Bridal Shows at a grand total of $1800, and just purchased 3 more Blizzard Torrent 90's (retail $2k ea.)

My Gross is $1000-$2000 per Wedding and $750-$1500 for other types of events.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah. It just surprises me how much I have raised my bar each year and still have a mountain to climb.

I don't think many DJ's realize how tough it actually is until they get in to it.

I don't think the mountain really gets any smaller- I think you just get to a point where you're content with where you are.
And no- I don't think anyone that goes into business for themselves really has any clue how difficult it is until their in the thick of things- I know I didn't. I also know I wouldn't have it any other way, and one day the rewards of my work will pay off. (I hope)

bumpyjonas
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I concur with the recent statements, I have been doing this off and on part-time for 14 years and it is a tough industry to make a profit annually.

I still consider it a business hobby because most successful business ventures require full-time dedication and my real world job gets the nod for my full-time commitment.

Defiance
04-23-2012, 02:45 PM
I have to run any of my expensive hobbies like djing as a 'job' that needs to make money back. Especially dropping 1k on equipment, plus time/energy and missing out on time with fam/friends on weekends.

With that said DJing wise, I am in the red so far this year, in the past I usually break even around june. But I've made major DJ purchases each year, I hope to be averaging more than one a month this year.

Nick_EventPro
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't know... I've been blessed for sure, and I've worked my butt off, but I've been doing really well in the DJ game.
I'm certainly not there yet- actually no where near it, but my goal is to join that 500k gross club in 3 years. I'm not just saying that to throw a number out there either. Literally, I live and breate this stuff but heart of hearts, I feel that's a difficult, yet attainable goal.