PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Needs Advice

andyeperry
04-21-2012, 10:04 AM
About five years ago i began producing music. Originally an interest it soon turned into an obsession, so much so that I went onto university where I am currently studying music technology. I am now at a point where i want to start performing my music live (garage/house/bass/120-140BPM). In this sense I have done things in reverse, first learning to produce and now secondly DJ. I don't want to waste anymore time and I would like to get on my feet as soon as possible. This is where i need some help and advice. Carrying out my research about what technology I should buy my head has been turned in every direction imaginable. It is now to the point that I am just plain lost and confused. Turntables? CDJs? DJ Controllers? So much choice. And then there are all of the views on what a DJ should and shouldn't do, about whats right and wrong. For example some people suggest avoiding DJ controllers all together so that I will learn to beat match properly, where as certain forums will state that it doesn't strictly matter whether or not you can beat match perfectly in this day & age because of the technology that is available to you.

I am 22 and, currently with zero experience, want to be a confident DJ by this time next year. I currently have about £600 to spend give or take some, but am also blessed with an older brother who owns a pair of Technics 1210s (although buying the records i want to spin would soon add up). I have looked into various controllers including Novations Twitch, Traktors S2/S4 and Denons DNMC6000. CDJs of course will be a popular recommendation but they are so bloody expensive.

What are your tips on where i should start as a beginner wanting to dive in and get to grips with DJing asap. I want to start playing out as soon as I'm confident. I have no interest in scratching.

DJ Matt
04-21-2012, 10:14 AM
About five years ago i began producing music. Originally an interest it soon turned into an obsession, so much so that I went onto university where I am currently studying music technology. I am now at a point where i want to start performing my music live (garage/house/bass/120-140BPM). In this sense I have done things in reverse, first learning to produce and now secondly DJ. I don't want to waste anymore time and I would like to get on my feet as soon as possible. This is where i need some help and advice. Carrying out my research about what technology I should buy my head has been turned in every direction imaginable. It is now to the point that I am just plain lost and confused. Turntables? CDJs? DJ Controllers? So much choice. And then there are all of the views on what a DJ should and shouldn't do, about whats right and wrong. For example some people suggest avoiding DJ controllers all together so that I will learn to beat match properly, where as certain forums will state that it doesn't strictly matter whether or not you can beat match perfectly in this day & age because of the technology that is available to you.

I am 22 and, currently with zero experience, want to be a confident DJ by this time next year. I currently have about £600 to spend give or take some, but am also blessed with an older brother who owns a pair of Technics 1210s (although buying the records i want to spin would soon add up). I have looked into various controllers including Novations Twitch, Traktors S2/S4 and Denons DNMC6000. CDJs of course will be a popular recommendation but they are so bloody expensive.

What are your tips on where i should start as a beginner wanting to dive in and get to grips with DJing asap. I want to start playing out as soon as I'm confident. I have no interest in scratching.

hi mate and welcome to DJ forums

it seems like the industry has everyones head spinning wondering what to buy

i dont think there is ANY perfect setup, there are always drawbacks,

if you brother has turntables then if i were you i would practise on them and get confident at mixing, if you are producing songs in correct time-signatures etc and therefore have the understanding of the music.. then i dont see why beatmatching would be hard. if you really like that method than maybe that is for you.

i dont care what anyone says about controllers, they are practical and nobody can take that away from them. i have turntables, CD decks and controllers, the controller gets most use nowdays.
items like the MC6000 are expensive but they do what you need i personally have one of those, and yes when something better comes along i will probably buy it. but at the moment thats where its at.
technics and DVS systems are fun , but its not always practical

the bottom line though, is if you want something respectable you have to spend money

andyeperry
04-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I know it sounds naive but i just kinda want my own set up even though my bro has the technics. I am also away at uni until June and so would have to wait until then to get practicing on them. It sounds silly but i just want to get some gear and get spinning now! Is it possible to learn to beat match properly using a DJ Controller. Is it possible not to 'cheat' (as some people put in)?

DJ Matt
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
well,you can learn the concept on anything,

but if we are talking about learning to actually manipulate the hardware , then the actual hardware itself is the best thing to use, instead of a replica, or imitation of it.

its all about being able to mix on anything that is put in front of you so in this case all the experience you can get is good

example,
if you practise on a controller that has turning platters it will if course contribute to you being able to use any deck with a turning platter such as a technics turntable

if it has static platter then it will be more like CDJs

turntables will not teach you how to mix on CDJs (personally i was for a very long time unable /unwilling to learn to use anything with a static platter since i had already many years using turntables, controllers got me over that barrier )

i would also point out that most controlllers, even the better ones, have very small pitch controll way inferior to that of a good CDJ or technic, and generally actually quite hard to mix on in the traditional way it .
therfore it pushes you/encourages you to use the sync function. which of course is very practical ! but in terms of being a more capable DJ is a bad habit
but on the plus side, controllers presents ongoing improvements on possibilities such as effects and looping and use of video which are characteristic of modern djing

andyeperry
04-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Ok almost as quick as i have made this thread (after about 4 months of research) i have finally decided to say fuck it im going to go the traditional route using my brothers technics. I probably should have done this ages ago but a mixture of him being unwilling to lend and me wanting my own gear lead to the excessive research. I just really stuck my oar in and since he rarely uses them he has agreed to give them to me indefinitely. Game on. I might spend £50 on some fresh vinyls and mix them with his old house records to learn with. Over & out!

andyeperry
04-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank DJ Matt for the replies! Maybe il post back in a few months to say where im at.

DJ Matt
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Thank DJ Matt for the replies! Maybe il post back in a few months to say where im at.

your welcome!

i dont think anyone on the forums is going to tell you that is a bad desicion ! and nowdays there are a lot of technology coming out that enables you to include the turntables and the computer to combine the best of both worlds. such as controllers which double as standalone mixers , digital vinyl systems etc..

best of luck !

Molbster
04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
LOL here's some more ideas to fuddle you with.

What kind of a live experience are you aiming towards providing your audience? Like a live rendition of your tracks or just mixing them together? (ie. trying to do what Deadmau5 or Daft Punk does on stage or what someone like Armin Van Buuren does?) If you're trying to arrange pre-made sequences live, you might want to consider the Ableton Live with a Midi controller route. Other than that, you can still do as you planned and learn on your brother's decks and maybe pick up Serato later on.