PDA

View Full Version : Please give me some suggestions about A & H mixer, Thanx!

parkersong
04-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Hello everyone, I'm now using Ableton Live with Akai apc 40 and an audio interface, my favorite music genre are techno and deep house. Recently I think it's too complicated to mix only with apc40 because I have to keep on switching channels before adjusting EQ or other effets between different channels, so i want to add a mixer into my set up.

My budget is about $ 1000 and I'm interested in A & H's Xone 92, but there isn't any A & H shop in my city so I can't see it before buying. I know there are two versions of this mixer, one is linear and the other one is rotary. So can anybody tell me what's the differences between them and which version is better for me? Of course if you have better suggestions about other models or brands for me, please tell me.

Great thanks!!!

Era 7
04-21-2012, 07:41 AM
i don't think 1000 will cut it for a 92...the Xone 42 would somewhat be in that pricerange.

the difference between the two is that the rotary uses knobs instead of faders to control the level of a channel. there is no better or worse of the two. it comes down to your mixing style and preference. the rotary gives you a greater range to fine tune the volume but you obviously can't slam in a mix as you could with a fader.

Original
04-21-2012, 12:16 PM
You can find a A&H 92 for $1000 used, but not new. There's no other difference between rotary and linear faders- except one has rotary and the other has linear faders. It's all about what you prefer.

contra
04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
there's a used one in the f/s for $1000

parkersong
04-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all your replies, guys! You r right, I have also checked Xone 92's price, I think I should have to increase my budget to about $1500. :cry:

Now I think the traditional linear version is more suitable for me because I can quickly adjust the channel level while I'm adjusting the EQ or other effects, but the same process will cost me longer time if it is rotary.

Can anyone recommend some other mixers in this pricerange?

Thanks!

mars.shosh1n
04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Since it doesn't seem like you've got a lot of experience with mixers, I just wanted to point out that these higher-end A&H's mostly have 4-band eq's. To each their own, but most the people I know around here hate this very feature. The local dnb night here in Denver has a xone:62, and to my knowledge, everyone hates it.

The xone:42 has a 3-band eq.

Also, I love rotary knobs.

Synergy
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
man, if you mix deep house and such, those rotary knobs will be tits for you. FYI once you go allen and heath, you will NOT go back to anything else. They are amazing. If you can not afford the 92 the 62 offers the double mid eq as well and can be had for under 1k :) I hope this helps?

Synergy
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
there's a used one in the f/s for $1000

go allen and heath man, its really the best, one could suggest Pioneer but in reality, the allen and heath, in my opinion is built better and is just an altogether better mixer. 22-32-42-62-92 they are all amazing. Solid feel, great mixers and components. The lower ends though have the problem of not being able to be turned on/off.

parkersong
04-24-2012, 08:44 AM
OK, thanks very much guys! I have made my decision and booked a 92 this afternoon, the seller told me they had to import it from US, so only the transportation would cost 15 days, can't wait to put my finger on it!:lol:

Synergy
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
you made a GREAT choice man. Once you get those tracks matched the mixer makes it feel like the tracks just flow like melted butter. you will love it. welcome to the world of allen and heath, world class!

mostapha
04-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Since it doesn't seem like you've got a lot of experience with mixers, I just wanted to point out that these higher-end A&H's mostly have 4-band eq's. To each their own, but most the people I know around here hate this very feature. The local dnb night here in Denver has a xone:62, and to my knowledge, everyone hates it.

That's worth pointing out, but I'm going to voice the opposite. The 4-band EQ is awesome. Honestly, I'd be happy with a mixer that didn't have any EQ besides the hi-mid. A bass shelf EQ is nice, but it's nowhere near necessary, and I think the hi-mid does more to let you blend between grooves by letting you control snares, hats, and the click of a kick than anything else I've heard.

OK, thanks very much guys! I have made my decision and booked a 92 this afternoon, the seller told me they had to import it from US, so only the transportation would cost 15 days, can't wait to put my finger on it!:lol:

Congrats.

Damon_Chambers
05-11-2012, 10:07 PM

The xone:42 has a 3-band eq.

Also, I love rotary knobs.

4 band eq is freaking tits. its the only thing i really was leery about when i moved from the 92 rotary to the db4.