PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Mixing

DJAVLive
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
How-To Guide
Harmonic Mixing is an advanced technique used by top DJs all over the world. By mixing tracks that are in the same or related keys, harmonic mixing enables long blends and mash-ups. The goal is to eliminate key clashes.

The Basics

Harmonic mixing consists of two elements: knowing the key of every song that you play and knowing which keys are compatible.

To get started, find the keys of your songs. You can detect keys with a piano, a good ear, and a background in music theory. To save time, you can use professional DJ software such as Mixed In Key. Mixed In Key scans your MP3 and WAV files, and shows you the key of every song.

The First Mix

To help DJs learn harmonic mixing, Mark Davis created the Camelot wheel, a visual representation of which keys are compatible with each other:

On the Camelot wheel, each key is assigned a keycode number from one to twelve, like hours around a clock.

For the first mix, we recommend mixing two songs that have the same keycode, like 8A and 8A. It will sound like a professional mash-up made in the studio, even if you are mixing on live DJ equipment.

The Professional DJ Approach

Many professional DJs move around the Camelot wheel with every mix.

To select a compatible song, choose a keycode within one "hour" of your current keycode. If you are in 8A, you can play 7A, 8A or 9A next. If you are in 12A, you can play 11A, 12A or 1A. This mix will be smooth every time.

You can also mix between inner and outer wheels if you stay in the same "hour." For example, try mixing from 8A to 8B, and notice the change in melody as you go from Minor to Major.

Harmonic mixing is a simple technique, but it opens up a world of creativity. You will play creative DJ sets and discover interesting song combinations. It's easy to get started with any music genre.

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/Images/camelotHarmonicMixing.jpg <---- the circle to help guide you!!

MORE AT http://www.harmonic-mixing.com

Thought this would be helpful for new comers :) ENJOY!

NickJames
02-06-2012, 08:20 PM
12A<-1A->2A isn't the only way either!

The chart:
http://nick.omniomi.com/keychart.jpg

lovecitydjs
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
word! been looking for a breakdown on this.

any idea how to transpose from Major to Minor?

Manu
02-07-2012, 02:12 AM
You can embed pictures:

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/Images/camelotHarmonicMixing.jpg

Here's how to memorise going up and down the scale:

"Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles's Father" and it's reverse, or "Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds."
F C G D A E B

12A<-1A->2A isn't the only way either!

correct. Also don't rely exclusively on harmonic rules, sometimes the element of chance brings results you wouldn't expect.

Mixed In Key scans your MP3 and WAV files, and shows you the key of every song.

Better to learn music theory rather than relying on software. Because what are you going to do when your laptop isn't here.

Adzm00
02-07-2012, 05:07 AM
God I hate this sh*t.

de.j.l
02-07-2012, 05:32 AM
When I first started I ran by this but after dj'ing for a couple years now I realise a person must think outside the box, if you set yourself to a definitive set of rules you're never going to be able to break the barriers that were meant to be broken.

This is good to work off of but I have achieved some great mixes by overstepping this system.

Adzm00
02-07-2012, 05:42 AM
When I first started I ran by this but after dj'ing for a couple years now I realise a person must think outside the box, if you set yourself to a definitive set of rules you're never going to be able to break the barriers that were meant to be broken.

This. 100% agree.

Its good for newbs, but for seasoned DJ's it limits your creativity really.

Marc S
02-07-2012, 05:54 AM
besides, an off key mix should be as audible as an off beat one

-J
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
You can embed pictures:

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/Images/camelotHarmonicMixing.jpg

lol, so he took the Circle of Fifths, and added numbers.

I don't like that idea, it removes the knowledge of what you're actually doing. 8a and 8b are "compatible" because they're relative keys, meaning they have the exact same notes. C major is C D E F G A B, and A minor is A B C D E F G. Same notes, start in a different spot... it's a really really common technique for musicians to use relative keys when soloing or doing a fill.

Better to learn music theory rather than relying on software. Because what are you going to do when your laptop isn't here.

I agree with this to a point. It's better to just learn the basics of music theory than to rely on the above. Besides, that wheel omits a number of keys that are common in music, it's really just showing you the basic keys out there.

Still, most people can't pick out the key of a tune just by ear.

-J
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
word! been looking for a breakdown on this.

any idea how to transpose from Major to Minor?

You can't transpose from a major key to a minor. Transpose means to shift a key up or down a set number of steps. If you transpose G major up to A, it'll be A major.

DJAVLive
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
@Manu haha thanks for covering that for me I forgot that we can embed pictures!

@Nick i know i was put that as a starter

mr_ragz
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I find that certain types of music adhere to these rules more so than others. Trance, for example, fucking wins when you use this system.

On the other hand, certain types of electro isn't always spot on. A lot of electro has pretty flat bass so most of it seems to blend decently. I find that with more bangin' styles of music, it is a good idea to play songs that are more matched in the energy and don't spend too much time being focused on the key being matched. I do pretty quick mixes with electro any way.

Hausgeist
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Let me just add that even the most popular key analyzing software is only around a 40-50% success rate. The bottom line is it has more to do with knowing the music that you play and actually figuring out what sounds good rather than just mixing by numbers.

Kov
02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Something that has to be considered if you are mixing with vinyl. A pitch change of 1 half tone is approx 8bpm (in the usual range between 120 und 240 bpm). So if you want to mix a track which is say 140 bpm and 5A (Cm) with one which is 148 bpm and 5A it won't work because the 148-track will be at 10A (Bm) when pitched down to 140 bpm. You have to take a track which is 148 bpm and 12A (Dbm).

djkvg
02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
mixing harmonically is awesome but don't limit yourself and don't play tracks because they don't fit well with each other.... it only limits your mixing and creativity.

Synergy
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
mixing harmonically is awesome but don't limit yourself and don't play tracks because they don't fit well with each other.... it only limits your mixing and creativity.

this!

1point5
02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I always mix harmonically but never use those numbers/wheel thing... i just use my theory knowledge to think about what the next track's gonna sound like in relation to the one that's playing. i sometimes choose to ignore it completely though, it's never a limitation

TheBoggler
03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I sort of mix harmonically. I used to use Rapid Evolution 3 to detect song keys, as I felt it was the most accurate out of the few I had tried. No software is 100% in detecting them though. Probably more like 50-60%. However, 70-90% of the time, the software will detect it within an 'hour' of the camelot circle [so if you mark down something wrong and use it as such, it won't REALLY matter...]. I don't usually use it anymore, because I get more than 90% of my tracks from beatport, which gives you the key of the track, and the ones I get elsewhere, I usually can figure out by ear.

I agree, it's not something to absolutely live by, but if i'm not sure what I want to play next, I typically look at the keys for groups of songs as suggestions. I've had some pretty awesome melodic layering of tracks thanks to the camelot system. Love it or hate it, I've put it to good use.

Finnish_Fox
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Let me just add that even the most popular key analyzing software is only around a 40-50% success rate. The bottom line is it has more to do with knowing the music that you play and actually figuring out what sounds good rather than just mixing by numbers.

^This. +1.

Finnish_Fox
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I always mix harmonically but never use those numbers/wheel thing... i just use my theory knowledge to think about what the next track's gonna sound like in relation to the one that's playing. i sometimes choose to ignore it completely though, it's never a limitation

I think they are saying it is a limitation if you abide by it 100% of the time, which you don't.

djsedatophobia
03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
But does anyone have some experience with guidance from software like: mixedinkey?

I tend to try two tracks out, and very soon know if it's some good. But that is only by my taste, not based on any theory or noted keys.
Only thing is, that I get surprised by the end-result sometimes :(. Know it's a part of practice, but any help I can get (even by Software) gets me tempted...

mostapha
03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I used MiK briefly, mostly to test its accuracy. It kinda sucked. It failed at analyzing recordings of me playing guitar. The results were better than random, but not correct.

There's also a lot more to the story: modes, chord progressions, how strict the artist was, how/if s/he harmonized the scales or just improv'd.

Plus the fact that blues scales (a variation on major pentatonic) are supposed to sound like crap over sixth and seventh chords, which means blues shouldn't exist.

Harmonic Mixing-as the Camelot people describe it-is a troll, made to extort money from idiots.

If you hear a clash, pick a different track or mix in a way that it doesn't matter....especially if you're using sync or visual aides...what are you doing with the extra time? Mashing effects and thoughtlessly adding 4 tracks together. If we can do it with vinyl, you can THINK a little before you open the fader.

DjDisArm
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
on the fence about this technique there shouldnt be a limit

djmunster
03-11-2012, 06:26 PM
What ever happened to ,wow this song will go perfect with ? And then you throw it in

Lost Connection
03-12-2012, 04:56 AM
I do have the keys visible in my Traktor on the comment part of the track list on every song. But, that doesn't mean that I always use it. Besides, I did piano lessons for 6 years so I do know enough music theory to do basically what I want. Not what the software or that wheel says :D

djsedatophobia
03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Harmonic Mixing-as the Camelot people describe it-is a troll, made to extort money from idiots.

Hahaha LOL, a bit what I was afraid of... ;) Saw a lot of cheeky pics of some famous DJ's with their quotes... gives me an uncomfortable feeling to be honest.

If you hear a clash, pick a different track or mix in a way that it doesn't matter....especially if you're using sync or visual aides...what are you doing with the extra time? Mashing effects and thoughtlessly adding 4 tracks together. If we can do it with vinyl, you can THINK a little before you open the fader.

:lol::tup:

Finnish_Fox
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
But that is only by my taste, not based on any theory or noted keys.

Why does that matter? Seems to me you got the really important part down.

Finnish_Fox
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
What ever happened to ,wow this song will go perfect with ? And then you throw it in

^ This.

Manu
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Let the noobs be noobs, thinking they can bypass effort by relying on computers to do the workload for them. That and autosync, all they need is the top 20 on beatport so they don't even have to go digging. Loads and loads doing that, not very far away from playing dj hero on the xbox really.

http://www.thevlyhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Laptop-DJs.jpg

djsedatophobia
03-12-2012, 01:17 PM
LOL!!! I am a laptop DJ, but differently ;)