PDA

View Full Version : Tips for my first wedding? I have nothing ready....

Kingbob182
04-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Hey guys. Im primarily a Club DJ, Ive also done a few 21sts and 18ths but now My best mate's wedding DJ cancelled and he's asked me to cover and DJ his wedding next weekend. I have basically no music suitable for the event, and only a strobe light and fog machine.
Basically I have nothing. My mate knows all of this and he know's its not going to be a world class performance but he's still happy to have me do it after seeing me at his 21st a year back.
Obviously I still want to do everything I can to make it a great day/night.
I have a few Ideas for music and I have 2 powered 15" Speakers.

I'd love any tips on what music to play. Particularly dance stuff that's suitable for a wedding full of people of all ages.

Any tips on a couple of basic lights that I can rent. Just some basics that will create a nice effect that I can rent for the day.
If there's any websites with lists of wedding music suggestions, it'd be awesome.

I'm fairly desperate as I want to make this as good as I can but I have no real experience in weddings. So any advice at all would be a huge help.

Unknown DJ
04-21-2012, 05:58 AM
For songs start here: http://www.djintelligence.com/pages/mobilebeatprint.asp

Get a list of songs the bride and groom want like entrance song, first dance song. Also get a time line of events.

bumpyjonas
04-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Here is another link for music songs http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-wedding.html

Kingbob182
04-22-2012, 04:50 AM
thanks mate. I'll check them out.

windspeed36
04-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Have you ever tagged along with another DJ to a wedding before? Thats probably the biggest help you can get. For lighting, i'd be looking at 12-18 LED Pars for uplighting around the room dependant on size, 4 scanners, and perhaps 2 PAR56's. You'll also want a wireless mic or 2 for speaches ect. Couple of other tips: pick up a roll of gaff and some blacks for covering your table. DJing weddings requires a lot more prefesionalism compared to club DJing. Don't drink, and make sure you get there an extra 1/2 to 1hr early compared to when you were going to arrive due to it being your first wedding.

Unfortunately I'm pretty packed out for the next few weeks so unfortunately I can't help you out and Mark at Mad Productions/The Sound Guys doesn't have what you need. So, all this sorta stuff i'd talk to Andrew down at Clear Systems (Chadstone) or the boys over at ClearLight. They're both really good to deal with.

Hope this all makes life easier and good luck

Kingbob182
04-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks a lot mate. I'll try to get in contact with the guys you mentioned.
Im working full time so im struggling but theres a lace I can hire a few lights and stuff right near my work so I'll be all set for the gear I think.
Im making a list of things to take. Tape, Torch, 3 copies of music (well 2 usb and some cds) but theres none on them yet.
Ive done a few 21sts and I know the difference as far as professionalism goes. Im just worried. Want to make it a perfect day. I'll need som wireless Mics and I'll have a look at the lights you suggested.
Thanks a lot. :)

VjQue
04-24-2012, 03:48 AM
personally I would tell my friend that i'm not a wedding dj and i'm not in that field.

then if he says he's ok with that then he's penny pinching and know your cheap or free.

with 2 weeks away thats plent of time to get a wedding dj.

and depending on the venue those 2 top might not be enough you need some bass to fill the room.

call around and get some wedding dj prices.

P.S I don't know no wedding DJ that would cancel. not for a wedding unless he's hella cheap.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Are they doing formalities? Cake cutting, garter, parent dances...? If you are just to handle intros make sure you speak with them about how they want to be introduced... Do the introduction... 1st dance then play some dinner music. After dinner you should have a good vibe of what they want to hear since your close with them. Feel the crowd and just rock out. He wants you because he likes your style and doesnt mind that you dont have everything needed. Just have a talk and discuss everything he wants