PDA

View Full Version : Referral "gratuity"

mikemcd
04-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Is there any "unwritten rule" for someone who referred you for a job because he/she can't do it. For example, a buddy of mine gave a bride my name because he was booked the day she wanted and I got the job.

Do you slide them a thanks of like 10 or 15%, or some other amount or percentage as a thank you?

c-hawk
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Nope; that sorta deal is usually discussed/documented beforehand.

Rek_Aviles
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
If you're cool with the guy, you should slip him something or buy him a bottle.

Al Poulin
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
If you're cool with the guy, you should slip him something or buy him a bottle.

Or simply send him some business next time you are already booked - return the favor pretty much.

Sween
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Or simply send him some business next time you are already booked - return the favor pretty much.

^^This. Make mutual agreement or no referrals for you!

Nick_EventPro
04-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I always give something to say thanks. I'm appreciative of people thinking of me when they can't take on new business and I want them to know that. IMO, it doesn't need to be a set commission rate (that's something more reserved for a formal partnership) but some small token that shows your appreciation is appropriate. Not everyone gives something, but that's just my personal feelings on it. I will say this- from the other end of the spectrum, I'm more likely to give business to people who appreciate my efforts (a small thank you is much different than greasing the wheels) in giving them a referral, rather than someone who says "thanks" and then takes the money and runs.

Dix
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM

That's what I do around here.

pertytown
04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
^^^ ditto.

Dave Daschofsky
04-21-2012, 03:04 AM
I have a standing offer of a 10% referral bonus for anyone who sends me a gig, paid when the client pays their deposit. For other DJs that are friends we just throw each other gigs.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I actually have a few buddies that are referring me since it's my 1st independent year. Still trying to get my name out there. My buddy who has sent me at least 5 for this year doesn't want anything in return. I wanted to take them out in the city. Dinner. Show. Club n id pay for everything for his wife and himself. He just wants to go out local n bs.

Basically if you are close with them just return the favor and if you don't know them send a bottle of wine with a thank you card. Simple and affective.