PDA

View Full Version : Denon DN-MC6000 Cases Side by Side

pumpitdj
04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Ok so on the left we have the Road Ready Case , and on the right we have the Odyssey Innovative Designs FRGS804 Flight Ready Glide Style Combo Rack . My question is do prefer to have just the controller in one case and a seperate case for all your rack gear , or do you prefer to have it all together , like you see on the right

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/581552_10150802970916355_621011354_12211771_597150 910_n.jpg

Sween
04-20-2012, 09:30 AM
I have been wanting to buy the MC-6000 to replace my DN-S1200's and build something similar to the case on the right. My only concern has been that I want a separate mixer for my mics also mounted on the slant rack in addition to the controller. I would be very interested to get the specs on that setup and maybe some closer photos!

Here is what I ideally want to integrate in the space directly above the MC-6000 (for mics):

http://www.sonicfiber.com/images/Keith/c3usb.jpg

pumpitdj
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
I'll take a good picture tonight when I'm at my gig

JamminDownJD
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Sween, placing a full DJ mixer PLUS the DN-MC6000? Yikes, I can't see that there will be enough rack spaces on the top slant for that! The MC6000 is 8+U (you have to compensate for the front controls). You are probably better off putting one of those 1U mic mixers in the rack and call it a day. Consider a Rane MLM or Art MX-821. If you really need a mic mount on top, then add a rack panel with Neutrik connectors.

Back to the OP. It depends on what you're running. Do you really rely on CD backup? (Of course, you may not need a standalone CD unit if you have a laptop. Just pop the CD in the laptop drive and import the tracks into your DVS.)

The one on the right can be quick and useful if you also install your wireless mic systems, lighting controller, and power conditioner, etc. It's quicker to set up, but it's also much heavier and takes up more space in storage. It's all about personal preference.

Sween
04-20-2012, 03:14 PM
MC6000 is 8+U

Thought it was 6U. You need a slant rack with an open front on the top so the knobs protrude out the front and don't waste a rack space. I was hoping to use a blank 1U for the rear connections and use 90 degree connectors. That leaves 3U as most slant racks have 10U on top. It's a wishlist... not saying it's 100% doable.

I currently use a side by side (separate controller and mixer)... I am so used to having sliders for my mics on top that I'm not sure I could (or want to) change it and put them on the front.

JamminDownJD
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I am mistaken, and you are right. It is 6U+.

DigitalArtDJs
04-22-2012, 07:53 PM
When I started out, I thought I would prefer to have my equipment all in one case and had a 10U slant/6U vertical but it still did not fit my controller (S4) along with my backup mixer (DN-X500) and backup mp3 player (Numark D2), Mics, Power, dbx driverrack, etc which I need for weddings. Additionally, it weighed in over 100lbs creating more issues (the standard table I was using would sag) and was a bear to move around. Part of the problem is a good quality case that size weighs in ~45+lbs without any equipment in it (Marathon/Odyssey, etc).

Since then, I have started moving towards having more (smaller) cases which allows me to take only what I need to gigs. Right now I am operating out of 3 cases. I have the Traktor case for my S4, a Marathon 10USlant/4U Vertical for all my backup and Mics & dbx. My third case (Gator) is also a slant/vertical setup, but is smaller and lighter (6U slant/4U vertical) and currently has my lighting controller, a mic and a 2U drawer. Some of the downsides to my multiple case route is more cost, more wires showing (between cases) for weddings this is a big deal, and more trips loading and unloading. For my needs however, this seems to work better.

I still plan to consolidate more. I want my dbx driverrack, 2 mics and power in a separate 4U case. Then I want to move my backup equipment to a 10U/2U slant/vertical (2U smaller than I have now). I plan to add a simple mic mixer to the third (Gator) case. This would then only be taken when I have lighting needs or for a wedding ceremony (dual setup).

In the end, it really depends on your needs and what you want. I like the multiple cases for flexibility.

3owls.ca
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
In the end, it really depends on your needs and what you want. I like the multiple cases for flexibility.

Same here. I like flexibility.

Johnnotestine
04-23-2012, 01:41 AM
My vote is for the smaller case.

I have my MC6000 in the Marathon case, which is pretty much identical to the Odyssey. By customizing the foam underneath I am able to fit two of my Audix wireless mic receivers and a surge protector for main power. In the back of my unit I store 2 wireless mics, 2 six foot XLR cords, an RCA to 1/8th mic cord for an iPod, and a USB light.

This allows quick setup with a pair of powered speakers or to my other rack if it is needed.