PDA

View Full Version : Mixing deep house

Grifff
04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I like listening to deep house and I want to start doing deep house mixes, but every time I go to mix, it sounds crap - like the bass lines are clashing and really just terrible (even when phrase matched). I'm used to mixing techno were you can just layer 2 tracks on top of one another and can have them playing for ages without any clashes (mostly). Is it just a case of making the transitions shorter? Or will mixing harmonically help? I know people have differing opinions of it

m:cake
04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I think when mixing deep hous or generally genres where the "mood" of the tracks is important it comes down to a proper trackselection and also that the tracks are in key/harmonic.

You may also focus more on the "point" you mix the tracks and change basslines from one track to another - sometimes doing a doubledrop like its common in mixing dnb fits very good - i d say just try out different tracks and practise practise practise you ll develop a feeling for the right tracks (still working on that but its getting better and better :-))

Finnish_Fox
04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I like listening to deep house and I want to start doing deep house mixes, but every time I go to mix, it sounds crap - like the bass lines are clashing and really just terrible (even when phrase matched). I'm used to mixing techno were you can just layer 2 tracks on top of one another and can have them playing for ages without any clashes (mostly). Is it just a case of making the transitions shorter? Or will mixing harmonically help? I know people have differing opinions of it

IMO, deep and funky house are susceptible to muddy basslines if layered over one another without one of the tracks having their bass cut. So, I typically have only one bassline playing at a time.

Finnish_Fox
04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I think when mixing deep hous or generally genres where the "mood" of the tracks is important it comes down to a proper trackselection and also that the tracks are in key/harmonic.

Agreed except for harmonic mixing... I personally don't think it matters all that much.

alazydj
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Harmonics do matter a lot to me. I don't believe that the key wheel makes or breaks anything...but your ears will be able to tell a BAD harmonic mix very easily. Dissonance can be an effective tool in music sometimes.

m:cake
04-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Was not talking about that wheel from mixed in key. Altough it can be a help, but i wouldnt rely on it.

As you said use your ears, thats also what i meant by getting a feeling for the right tracks. its all about listening to your music and not about trying to make a science out of mixing. :music:

DHB
04-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Was not talking about that wheel from mixed in key. Altough it can be a help, but i wouldnt rely on it.

As you said use your ears, thats also what i meant by getting a feeling for the right tracks. its all about listening to your music and not about trying to make a science out of mixing. :music:

This...

It all comes down to knowing your tracks and selecting accordingly. You will get a feel of what tracks will sound well together and what track won't.

As with everything, it all takes time.

mrkleen
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Lots of good answers here.

Deep House is more above the vibe and the tracks are the focus of the set.
Techno is more about the energy and the DJ is the focus of the set.

Completely different mindset.