PDA

View Full Version : My first Attempts at mixing - Please Listen and give me your thoughts

Dharmaboy
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Hey Guys,
I have been really working at this when I have time. Hope to finish my upgrade of equipment to CDJ800s by the end of the month. I did these 2 mixes on a DJM 3000 and 2 CDJ 100s. This was totally done on the fly, didnt plan the music or nothing and I just recorded this on my old Bondy Blue iMac G3 with the app called Audacity. Its a bit rough but not clean yet.

http://soundcloud.com/dj_dharmaboy/house-mix

TrackList-

1.Midnight Moroder (Darth & Vader Remix) - DJ Dank
2.She Sexy Ibiza Abramo Vocal Mix - Al Cappucino
3.Body Work - Morgan Page feat. Tegan and Sara Club Mix
4.Feel So Close - Calvin Harris (Special Features Remix)
5.Believe It - Spencer & Hill feat. Nadia Ali (Club Mix)
6.Say My Name - Porter Robinson
7.Take Me There - Hernandez vs DJ Tyo & Riccardo Gava (Extended Mix)
8.Nobody's Business - H2O feat. Billie
9.Lola's Theme (Vocal Mix) - The Shapeshifters.

http://soundcloud.com/dj_dharmaboy/house-electro-mix2

Tracklist -

1. Strings and Synths - Marc Zimms (Radio Edit)
2. Slam the Door (Original Mix) - Zedd
3. Community Funk -Burufunk, Carbon Community (Deadmau5 Re-edit)
4. Off The Wall - The Black Project feat Franky S (Tradelove Remix)
5. Stars come Out -Zedd (Original Mix)
6. Avicci-
7. Feel So Close - Calvin Harris (Special Features Remix)
8. 212 - Azealia Banks ft. Lazy Jay
9. Shakey (Original Mix) - Luis Sastre
10. Dove - Moony (original Mix)

Thanks

BurntToast
04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Add the track list if you can. This will get more people to listen.

Molbster
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I only listened to the house mix and only about 1/3rd of the way through too.

You need to work on Beatmatching. it's close, but sometimes it's a bit off. I also heard you nudge the track outgoing to correct yourself instead of the incoming track that's at the lower lever (which would make it less noticeable).

Another thing is your levels. You had a lot of clashing at the mid ranges. This came from song selection. mixing from a song while the vocals are going into another song while that song's vocals are going is kind of a no-no. Too much going on and sounds harsh. wait for a more "instrumenty" part of the song to bring in a song at it's vocals or vice versa. This happened with basslines that clashed as well. Choose one or the other and do a bass swap.

You did get phrase matching down for the most part.

one more thing, WAY overboard on the effects.

Overall Grade: C+

Dharmaboy
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Molbster - Thanks for the input. After I heard it a few times I realized what I had done wrong. But what you say is totally right. The only affect I can get to work right on this DJM 3000 is the flanger. I'll take the C+ for now. I think it was an okay start as well.

shaun1dj
04-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Hi mate just listened to the first one some good track choices, best mix for me was out of Spencer & Hill that seemed work ok for me but the one after wasn't as hot. Like has been said beats were off on a few tracks this will come with time and practise but for the min I'd concentrate on beat matching rather than trying to throw effects in to the mix. Also the mix out of Say my name where the beats were off abit the bigger issue for me is you let the track get very close to the end where you had no bassline so for a lot of the mix there was just a beat, think if you were playing to crowd would they keep moving to just a plain beat for 30 secs?
You'll find the CDJ800's will help but don't get to used to using the beat counter with them lol
Keep it going bud this stuff doesn't happen over night practise practise practise, I've followed you on soundcloud look forward to the next one

Buddy McKarthur
04-22-2012, 10:18 PM
You sound good, brother!! I really enjoyed this mix (I'm still listening to it now :P)...I am also new to DJ'ing, so I really have no room to contradict you, but you seem to have good beat-matching, mixing and effect skills. Also a good choice of music :)
I wish you the best of luck, and keep it up, my friend!

Buddy McKarthur
04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
One more quick comment: as I continued to listen to the mix I noticed that you overuse effects...at first, it was fine, but it is a little much. Just try to make sure you are using a good balance of effects, without overdoing it.

Dharmaboy
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
"Hi mate just listened to the first one some good track choices, best mix for me was out of Spencer & Hill that seemed work ok for me but the one after wasn't as hot. Like has been said beats were off on a few tracks this will come with time and practise but for the min I'd concentrate on beat matching rather than trying to throw effects in to the mix. Also the mix out of Say my name where the beats were off abit the bigger issue for me is you let the track get very close to the end where you had no bassline so for a lot of the mix there was just a beat, think if you were playing to crowd would they keep moving to just a plain beat for 30 secs?
You'll find the CDJ800's will help but don't get to used to using the beat counter with them lol
Keep it going bud this stuff doesn't happen over night practise practise practise, I've followed you on soundcloud look forward to the next one "

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep plugging away. So hard to teach yourself proper after dancing with the devil (Virtual DJ) lol