PDA

View Full Version : Prior to re-recording these vocals what changes ought I make (rep4feed)

jonistaken
04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
So I have got myself a vocalist and a track and I have taken one shot at recording vocals. When we recorded we did not have enough time to get a bunch of different takes. I was able to get a few takes and I have mixed those takes into the mix linked below. My vocalist is not happy with her performance and I am not happy with the recording (I had the gain too high and the compressor took off more dynamics than I wanted it to).

That being said we have plans to re-record her singing but in the meantime I am wondering what changes I ought to make to my track to facilitate a better mix. I am also new to mixing w/ vocals so any guide on EQ, levels or FX would be much appreciated. I am shopping for general criticisms or anything that might be useful. I had a hard time getting the vocals to sit right (I think largely because the compressor shaved off more than I wanted it to during recording). Also rep (or internet gold stars) for anything marginally useful to me.

Obviously I need to write an ending, but at this point my vocalist and I are unsure how many more, if any, verses we want.

http://soundcloud.com/jonistaken/st-james-infirmary-wip