PDA

View Full Version : Budget speaker setup

LukeDent
04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
So I'm in the Market for some decent speakers that aren't going to break the bank. Complete noon on the subject.

They're only going to be used in my bedroom and maybe a living room or two for parties. So yeah not even sure how many to go for, don't have a clue about tweeters, amps etc.

Any suggestions or advice please

DJNR
04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Any price range you're looking at?

LukeDent
04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Below £200 would be good but willing to save a bit more if necessary.

DJMC
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Too bad those M-Audio speakers ($99 each) cannot be shipped to the UK. That's way below 200 UK pounds at current exchange rates!

richard stringer
04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
If you wanna do even small parties the bare minumum i'd use would be a single RCF Art312A active cab mate, but it's out your price range innit. Studio monitors are crap at being used for parties, they're designed for sound quality not spl output.

d4zzle
04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
If you don't want to go with the PA size speaker, try and have a listen to the RCF Ayra 8 monitors. I own a pair of these and with a max SPL of 110 dB, they are plenty loud enough for home use and the occasional home party.

I also own RCF 312a's and RCF 4 pro 8003 subs so i have a reasonable idea of what sounds ok.

Phone around when looking for a price. I paid around £360 for the pair. Way over your budget at present but cheap speakers are cheap for a reason, they generally suck.

DJHoss
04-22-2012, 03:58 PM
For what you need, why not grab some mackie thumps TH-15's. Have served me well even without a sub for a party of 140. Hold up great, sound great, bass response is great, a little quiet, but tweak your EQ and I can squeeze every last drop there is out of them. Great buy IMO.

sss18734
04-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Your living room... Who needs PA speakers? Just get yourself a few pairs of old 15" wood grain house speakers. You can find 4 of those for less than the price of one PA speaker and you'll have way more bass.

Get a cheap amp and one of those mini behringer mixers and call it a day. If you intend on building the system, get something nicer, but it sounds like you have a pretty shoestring budget.

jayhwk
04-22-2012, 05:28 PM
What does the used market look like where you're located?

Pricing is often totally different in the UK for most pro audio products - the Thumps (which I wouldn't recommend under any circumstances) are about $435 (£270) each over there.

LukeDent
04-25-2012, 06:45 AM
So yeah I've pinched some old alwa speakers for the time being. Shit as they may be it'll have to do. Out to look for an amp and then start saving a bit more for decent speakers after that. Looking at what's out there it seems better to save than buy really cheap.