PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions on Current EDM and "Raver" Dress/Culture

Buszaj
04-17-2012, 06:47 PM
So here in Toronto (perhaps this could be expanded to North America), every time I go to an EDM event with big names, or see videos of UMF and other events, I'm surrounded by neon. So many people with bright clothing, cheap neon sunglasses, glow lights, "all about the PLUR...I'm so hardcore", and those God-damned glowsticks. I'd say it's the demographic from 19-23, which I personally do fall into. As you might be able to tell, I'm personally not a fan of the "raver" dress. Has it always still been floating around after the crackdown on the underground raves years ago? Or is it making a comeback now with the current generation of EDM fans?

Now, that being said; yes, I do understand that everyone's free to do what they want...why am I hating...it shouldn't bother me. I suppose it all just seems really silly and stupid to me. I'm just as big of a fan of EDM as these people, I'll dance until 7am if my favourite artists are playing....albeit I don't worship all the new dubstep and electro that this crowd seems to.

So long story short, what's your opinion of this "raver" dress, perhaps even new or re-defined culture within the current EDM scene?

ezelkow1
04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Has it always still been floating around after the crackdown on the underground raves years ago? Or is it making a comeback now with the current generation of EDM fans?

I dont ever remember anyone dressing like they do now. It was all baggy ass jeans and teletubbies, crap like that.

It does seem now more people are out there dressed to impress, where as before it was basically come as you are

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
So here in Toronto (perhaps this could be expanded to North America), every time I go to an EDM event with big names, or see videos of UMF and other events, I'm surrounded by neon. So many people with bright clothing, cheap neon sunglasses, glow lights, "all about the PLUR...I'm so hardcore", and those God-damned glowsticks. I'd say it's the demographic from 19-23, which I personally do fall into. As you might be able to tell, I'm personally not a fan of the "raver" dress. Has it always still been floating around after the crackdown on the underground raves years ago? Or is it making a comeback now with the current generation of EDM fans?

Good question - I stopped going to "raves" in favor of underground events after I turned 21 when I got plugged into a more *ahem* mature scene. That scene didn't ahve it and I always wondered if it continued to exist - then in the past few years as these EDM fests blow up, I see it again. My co-worker is this 26 year old chick from FL that goes to EVERY DAMN ONE.

Now, that being said; yes, I do understand that everyone's free to do what they want...why am I hating...it shouldn't bother me. I suppose it all just seems really silly and stupid to me. I'm just as big of a fan of EDM as these people, I'll dance until 7am if my favourite artists are playing....albeit I don't worship all the new dubstep and electro that this crowd seems to.

Don't think you are in the wrong - most don't live PLUR ethics and are just doing it because everyone else is.

So long story short, what's your opinion of this "raver" dress, perhaps even new or re-defined culture within the current EDM scene?

It's for kids.

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I dont ever remember anyone dressing like they do now. It was all baggy ass jeans and teletubbies, crap like that.

True - different fashions (sort of) but born out of the exact same type of people.

It does seem now more people are out there dressed to impress, where as before it was basically come as you are

The teletubby shit. pacifiers, glow-in-the-dark beads is as people were? :eek:

DJ Elroy
04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Ha I miss my big jncos, etnies, black addidas jacket with the sleeve stripe and white gloves. Wait, did I just say that?

When I do make it out I still see a lot of stuff like we had back then. Not so much the baggy jeans or tracksuits, but the fuzzy homemade costumes, the beads, etc. Seems a lot of the younger crowd (and yes, we do have 16+ shows here) likes to wear next to nothing nowadays.

Prostitots. Where were you when I was in my prime?

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Ha I miss my big jncos, etnies, black addidas jacket with the sleeve stripe and white gloves. Wait, did I just say that?

Quoted it for posterity. Centuries from now, our ancestors will know of your fondness for raver-wear.

That seems pretty mellow (comparatively)... unless you have 50" legs on the JNCO's.

When I do make it out I still see a lot of stuff like we had back then. Not so much the baggy jeans or tracksuits, but the fuzzy homemade costumes, the beads, etc. Seems a lot of the younger crowd (and yes, we do have 16+ shows here) likes to wear next to nothing nowadays.

Probably depends on the scene... most of the people that listen to funky/deep house pretty much "grew up".

Prostitots. Where were you when I was in my prime?

Rawr. :uhoh:

ezelkow1
04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
The teletubby shit. pacifiers, glow-in-the-dark beads is as people were? :eek:

Depended on the party, the majority I went to didnt have too many candy ravers, mostly just jncos and whatever tshirt they had on that day. I did know a few that would wear teletubbies shirts and the like around day to day

btw elroy, if you were around denver in the 90's some members of the old production companies are throwing a semi-reunion party this weekend

contra
04-17-2012, 09:13 PM
I think it's definately downhill but it's personal opinion. Most of the parties I see now have headlining house/electro dj's which I think should be kept in clubs, not raves. Nothing will beat the raves where you have a trance headliner/supporting cast dropping euphoric facemelting riffs at 135+bpm for 8+hours straight. Well, with some hardhouse/hard dance dj's mixed in there. At the best raves I've been to the bpm's never dropped lower than 135 and averaged 140 to 150 bpm. Keep the slower shit in clubs. Dress though?? Can't tell you what's current. I haven't been to a legit party in years but by the sounds of it nothing changed. It was mostly neon then too!! Either that or you were asian and dressed in all black armani or some other chachi shit.

drop1
04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I used to wear my share of raver gear. I was never much into bright colors other than the pro soccer shirts I had with all the sponsors on them. I did were a lot of oversized jeans and had pacifiers around generally because at the time I needed them. Used to chew through 2 or 3 a night.
Just for the hell of it heres a pic of me 10-15 years ago sportin a jnco's shirt. That type of stuff was more common around here.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/theif01/liv002.jpg

As for what people wear to parties I say what ever floats your boat. Thats what parties used to be all about anyway.

Buszaj
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I think it's definately downhill but it's personal opinion. Most of the parties I see now have headlining house/electro dj's which I think should be kept in clubs, not raves. Nothing will beat the raves where you have a trance headliner/supporting cast dropping euphoric facemelting riffs at 135+bpm for 8+hours straight. Well, with some hardhouse/hard dance dj's mixed in there. At the best raves I've been to the bpm's never dropped lower than 135 and averaged 140 to 150 bpm. Keep the slower shit in clubs. Dress though?? Can't tell you what's current. I haven't been to a legit party in years but by the sounds of it nothing changed. It was mostly neon then too!! Either that or you were asian and dressed in all black armani or some other chachi shit.

Yeah, I feel that even the term "rave" is misused now. I'm too young to have experienced the true rave days, but from what I've read, the events going on now are most certainly not raves. Yet everyone dresses like fools and say that they're ravers. Perhaps the definition of rave has changed?The Guvernment is a massive nightclub (which I love; sadly the people I don't like are found here :P), typical nightclubs are typical nightclubs with the classy/"preppy" scene, if you will, and the afterhours scene is kept more low key in terms of dress. What's good though is that the afterhours scene in Toronto hasn't been infiltrated by it much though. People come dressed normally and just dance to the music. They may all be fucked up on something, but I digress.

sephi
04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I hate to tell you, but you've just outed yourself as an old man. :P

monomer
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
RANT:

I remember the first couple of years of DEMF (when it was called demf) People dressed decent, people could handle their own and not walk around sideways, and oh - people knew how to shower.

The past couple of years going to such a letdown. The bright furry cloths don't get me, it's the ugly half naked bitches walking around, the people high on drugs they can't even pronounce an the general lack of personality of the crowd.

Back then: you could expose kids to the music, now I wouldn't take a kid a half mile near the plaza. It's all the suburbanite trash that go bat shit crazy with their parents credit card.

I'm ashamed to live in the same burbs as these kids, it's that bad.

/rant

monomer
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
i hate to tell you, but you've just outed yourself as an old man. :p

get off my lawn.

DJNR
04-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Honestly, I don't care how people dress. If they want to look like total g00bs while dancing, fine by me. I still go to the events to enjoy the music, and the way they dress doesn't alter my experience in any way. I wear costumes sometimes just for fun, but nothing "PLUR" like or anything.

mantis
04-18-2012, 01:58 AM
who cares. if they like it, then they like it. Partying is about partying. if you want to dress up, then do so. I used to be very into cyberpunk style fashion and loved cyberdog clothing. maybe i can find some pics of me from long ago.

music and fashion has been going hand in hand for .. like... ever.

Hygro
04-18-2012, 02:08 AM
it's cool to me :shrug:

Tektonix
04-18-2012, 02:09 AM
LOL Thats all im seeing here in toronto too man, Especially the Tek Lights (finger lights). Everyone goes to dollerama to stock up before the event i shit you not. Lots of bright colours. Im not going to lie that how i show up to them aswell....But thats because i dress like that on a daily basis C:

l0ckd0wn
04-18-2012, 03:21 AM
DC;DR

Pull your pants up and your underwear goes inside your pants.

That is all.

:argh:

M!TCH
04-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Like others have mentioned, I don't care how they dress. As long as it isn't some elephant walking around naked it's whatever to me. I just don't look at those people and problem solved.

Era 7
04-18-2012, 07:34 AM
i don't really give a damn how people dress. if they have fun like that it is fine with me. might even be good for a laugh :teef:

Austin GoGreen
04-18-2012, 07:35 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/188eb85b-b51c-b3de.jpg

Yeah it's pretty weird..

Irrational_Fear
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Here in the UK at most of the big Hard house & Hardcore nights this is very much the case- loads of UV accessories, bright T-shirts, plenty of Cyberdog stuff. With women it definately seems to be a 'less-is-more' attitude- wearing the least they can get away with, and even this will be themed/striped/leopard print/etc- and fury boots appear to be non-negotiable. Plenty of fancy dress too. Oh and loads of glowsticks.

I've always enjoyed this side of it, it's always a laugh seeing what people are wearing, and weird as it may sound it seems to give the whole night a sense of community. It's always a laugh if you head into the nearest town to hit a few bars first as you can spot the people going to the same night as you as you all stand out like a sore thumb in these places. We've met loads of new mates this way, just through this shared sense of identity for that one night. Great fun! :music:

Don't seem to get it quite so much at the big trance nights but still a fair few glowsticks! :slayer:

Just my thoughts on it!

Riotto
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
What bothers me more is the dress to impress aspect of clubbing. I'd much rather there be little to no dress code, so people can come in comfortable and there be a much more relaxed environment.

As for the "raver" thing it just seems like a bunch of kids trying to hop on a latest trend and fashion, which is fine. Aslong as theyre having fun thats all that matters

uncut69
04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
some of the stuff looks pretty dumb, but others are pretty necessary. A few fashion accessories that I would say are awesome and functional are:

gloves with lights in the end. there is nothing like a good light show when your tripping nuts at a show
pacifiers. i see these less and less actually, but something to chew on is great. I usually like to drink in addition to drugs, so gum is not an option
bandanas over the face. mmmm vapo rub smells awesome while rolling

glow sticks are pretty much a staple, and also certain masks are awesome

but big furry things? kandi? obnoxious neon crap? dafuk is up with all that?

DJNR
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
The furry boots are a "cute" thing. I don't think it looks bad on most girls.

Era 7
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
some of the stuff looks pretty dumb, but others are pretty necessary. A few fashion accessories that I would say are awesome and functional are:

gloves with lights in the end. there is nothing like a good light show when your tripping nuts at a show
pacifiers. i see these less and less actually, but something to chew on is great. I usually like to drink in addition to drugs, so gum is not an option
bandanas over the face. mmmm vapo rub smells awesome while rolling

glow sticks are pretty much a staple, and also certain masks are awesome

but big furry things? kandi? obnoxious neon crap? dafuk is up with all that?

you obviously haven't met cyber-goths :teef:

manoaboi
04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
1. Life means suffering.
The rave scene is constantly changing. You will never be able to hold onto that one time period where you thought raves were the best because the culture, styles, and music are constantly moving in new directions.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.
Trying to hold onto that time when "raves were awesome" will only result in you being left salty, unsatisfied, and generally unhappy. Crying about it will tend to make others not want to be around you, so you'll be lonely too.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.
Let it go, bro. There will always be new scenes that will come along for you to enjoy!

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.
This analogy sucks

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/188eb85b-b51c-b3de.jpg

The beast has escaped! Get the tranq gun!

login
04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
If you are asking this question then you:

a) Are not a raver/lover of edm escene
b) are a jaded raver
c) are too old

Of course a lot of smaller scenes start without freaks, but freaks get in to it sooner or later or people turn in to freaks, its a pretty natural thing of EDM, specially out of clubs. All this because of the "arnarchy" or "freedom" set of mind it brings along the use of MDMA and LSD.

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 01:33 PM

b) are a jaded raver
c) are too old

Of course a lot of smaller scenes start without freaks, but freaks get in to it sooner or later or people turn in to freaks, its a pretty natural thing of EDM, specially out of clubs. All this because of the "arnarchy" or "freedom" set of mind it brings along the use of MDMA and LSD.

...and here go with the youth telling us that it really wasn't better back then. As if Woodstock in the mid-90s with the rapes, violence and destruction really took the messages of the original Woodstock to a new level.

DJNR
04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
...and here go with the youth telling us that it really wasn't better back then. As if Woodstock in the mid-90s with the rapes, violence and destruction really took the messages of the original Woodstock to a new level.

Shut up grandpa!

:P

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Shut up grandpa!

:P

Whippersnappers.

DJNR
04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Whippersnappers.

:teef:

l0ckd0wn
04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Pull your pants up and your underwear goes inside your pants.

Whippersnappers.

:teef:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/l0ckd0wn420/smileys/arghfro.gif

Riotto
04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
On the topic of dress culture, anyone else think themed parties are lame? In NYC Brian Sanhaji and Monoloc are spinnin at this one club and its theme is a "Suspenders Party"

"This is a SUSPENDERS PARTY! Wear your SUSPENDERS and related items - canes, hats, spats, spectacles. "

Seriously? :lol:

Buszaj
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM

b) are a jaded raver
c) are too old

a) I am not a "raver"; I am a great fan of EDM
b) I never was a "raver"
c) I'm 21.

RDRCK
04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Who the f*** cares? I mean, f***ing seriously? Dress how you want to, and let others do the same. It's a f***in party for f***'s sake, you're meant to have fun. Further, it's specifically a culture where, as long as you're not hurting somebody else, do whatever the f*** you like. If you have a problem with that, go find something else to do with your time.

*I wear jeans and a t-shirt to parties*

Yo OP, this is not an attack on you :) My general response is one of anger towards those who would bring negativity to a party based on something so fleeting and shallow as how others at that party were dressed :)

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Who the f*** cares? I mean, f***ing seriously? Dress how you want to, and let others do the same. It's a f***in party for f***'s sake, you're meant to have fun. Further, it's specifically a culture where, as long as you're not hurting somebody else, do whatever the f*** you like. If you have a problem with that, go find something else to do with your time.

...except when those kandi kids would e-puddle in the middle of the dancefloor, giving each other massages. I really don't give a shit what you do or how you dress, but I do care when you impact my and other people's ability to enjoy themselves because you are wasted out of your mind.

While it doesn't have anything to do with the clothing, per se, it is (or at least was) a fairly accurate stereotype.

ezelkow1
04-18-2012, 03:53 PM
for me its not really the clothing, sure its changed, but whatever, wear whatever you want. Its the change in attitude Ive noticed. The younger crowd at the larger parties Ive gone to around here just push and shove their way around, with no common courtesy what so ever to those around them. Now I dont give a crap about PLUR or whatever, you dont gotta be all lovey dovey towards everyone, but at least there used to be courtesy amongst party go-ers at least saying excuse me, or a tap on the shoulder when trying to squeeze by.

Also the ridiculous amount fights, yes actual fights, that Ive seen break out. In every case Ive witnessed its been with kids at least under 21. Everyone just seems to have gotten more on edge, angstier, angrier, and more ready to jump at the drop of a hat. I dont remember a single fight when going to large parties at that same age.

spiz
04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
...except when those kandi kids would e-puddle in the middle of the dancefloor, giving each other massages. I really don't give a shit what you do or how you dress, but I do care when you impact my and other people's ability to enjoy themselves because you are wasted out of your mind.

How are they exactly ruining your night? By occupying your dance floor? Taking drugs? What these people do really impacts your night???

Honestly, I go out to have a good time, and if I concerned myself with what others were doing, then let that impact my night, I'd probably never enjoy myself.

grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Sums my opinion on what people wear...

Will MaXimal
04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Real Rave Gear: Kikwears - Nikes - Adidas Jacket

This:

http://spintronicz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Hot-Raver-Girls-Pasties18.jpg

This is dressing like a slut.

My Point:

Being a raver was never about dressing up like whores and eating E... It was about a genre of music that at the time was not fully accepted and it was about being different. Being a part of a small underground family that was united by the music.

What you see today arent raves... Just big parties.

drop1
04-18-2012, 05:06 PM
It's funny you say that because we just used to call them parties instead of raves

Will MaXimal
04-18-2012, 05:40 PM
It's funny you say that because we just used to call them parties instead of raves

I think 90% of the population has no idea what Raves are lol

l0ckd0wn
04-18-2012, 05:40 PM

:stupid:

I found that kind of ironic.

The late 90s in Detroit gave me the impression that raves/parties etc. were all about being part of a group of people who came together to have a good time and share the moment. You could walk up and talk to most anyone and people were open and eager to discuss and share the experience. After living in LA for 5 years and going to a bunch of legal "raves," it's not the same and perpetrates all the wrong messages.

Most people attribute the word "rave" to an illegal event or an event that caters to bunch of people that want to go do a bunch of drugs.

thehadgi
04-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Real Rave Gear: Kikwears - Nikes - Adidas Jacket

This:

My Point:

Being a raver was never about dressing up like whores and eating E... It was about a genre of music that at the time was not fully accepted and it was about being different. Being a part of a small underground family that was united by the music.

I don't care what you call them, I need to start going to stuff chicks like this are at

:lol:

And as far as rave/party stuff, most of the stuff going on in my area is massive dubstep/electro shows, which were I a bigger fan of that music would still be considered sloppy parties where everyone is wasted, and I prob would still go sparingly. I see the PLUR stuff there, but even someone like me who wasn't in the scene when that was a legit acronym knows it's not being used in the same context anymore. Barely see any shows being played that are highlighting house, trance, techno, prog house, or dnb music; or even a specific DJ's mixing skill. There is on DJ I know here who's holdin it down every week with a funk night, which is awesome, and this girl DJ plays too and she kills it. But by far, since Cbus is a bit newer to EDM than cities on the coasts, we're mostly seeing the dubstep/electro (not old school electro, this electro-hau5 stuff) scene developing, as we don't have too many people that were around for the previous days.

It's interesting, I caught the tail end of trance here, and although it still wasn't the underground scene here, the big shows that came through still had more of a rave-y feeling vibe, like other people said about getting together. Now it seems dubstep is just like something that you expect to hear when you go to a club, a bar, a lounge, heck I bet macy's is gonna start playing it soon in store. I don't think I would ever imagine hearing tiesto or armin, or even deadmau5 earlier stuff (before ghosts n stuff) at bars; now you just walk in and expect skrillex to come on 5 times.

Not sure how much is because I'm in Columbus as opposed to the NY/LA/SF/CH/DET/MIAMI crowds

thehadgi
04-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Uh oh, might've gone off topic of the dress culture. It varies here, I'd say 30% hipster, 40% weekend-hipsters (I'm wearing a v-neck, I'm scene), 10% old school dudes, 25% normal dress

DJNR
04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't care what you call them, I need to start going to stuff chicks like this are at

Jailbait for sure.

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
By occupying your dance floor?

This. Why can't you puddle on the periphery?

Honestly, I go out to have a good time, and if I concerned myself with what others were doing, then let that impact my night, I'd probably never enjoy myself

Why do you think I am any different? I just choose place to go where I that riff-raff is ID checked and left out in the cold. Same thing for anything - don't like a group a people, avoid it. I want to go be with people who appreciate music and want to dance, so I do.

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 06:49 PM

And I am totally okay with that. Schaaaa-wing!

What you see today arent raves... Just big festival things

There are still dope parties... :D

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Jailbait for sure.

i'm ok with that too. I'll hit it and be outtie 5000... its why I have a Finnish passport. Escape plan.

DJNR
i'm ok with that too. I'll hit it and be outtie 5000... its why I have a Finnish passport. Escape plan.

Bail hard!

Finnish_Fox

...but think they know...

Finnish_Fox
04-18-2012, 06:53 PM
The late 90s in Detroit gave me the impression that raves/parties etc. were all about being part of a group of people who came together to have a good time and share the moment. You could walk up and talk to most anyone and people were open and eager to discuss and share the experience. After living in LA for 5 years and going to a bunch of legal "raves," it's not the same and perpetrates all the wrong messages.

Here in So Cal in the late-ish 90s, we distinguished between raves and underground parties.

Most people attribute the word "rave" to an illegal event or an event that caters to bunch of people that want to go do a bunch of drugs.

Yes.

Pri yon Joni
04-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I can't say I mind every girl walking around in go go dancing gear or bikinis.

Hey, lets bring back the visor hats!!!!

login
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Why the need to judge other peoples outfit?

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
While walking around the outside of Ultra, I saw plenty wearing tutus

ie

http://www.altereglow.co.uk/_images/_products_0/492_1030_l.jpg

Some pulled it off, others didn't, but it was cool to see the ravers walking around without idiots pointing fingers. :rolleyes:

DJArmani
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
EDM is probably at its best right now because its in the middle of becoming mainstream but still maintains it's real house roots which is keeping many subgenres of house from becoming mainstream such as Tribal, Tech, etc.

Finnish_Fox
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
EDM is probably at its best right now because its in the middle of becoming mainstream but still maintains it's real house roots which is keeping many subgenres of house from becoming mainstream such as Tribal, Tech, etc.

I disagree but can see why you say that.

Xzentric
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Think it's bad now.... Anyone remember the gatecrasher kids?

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
what happened to gatecrasher?

Forgot all about that rave... Had a few CDs they put out. Good stuff, but I've forgotten all about them.

*off to google.

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
They look to be a set of clubs now.

http://www.gatecrasher.com/venues/index.html

Quentin Legend
04-19-2012, 12:45 PM
What's wrong with Neon? :confused:

Riotto
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM

I dont think tribal and tech are all that underground. Names like Boris and Victor Calderone are well known in the NYC clubbing scene, probably right under the upper tier of popularity ( Tiesto, Avicii, etc... ). They even played a huge event together a few months back.

Rek_Aviles
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I dont think tribal and tech are all that underground. Names like Boris and Victor Calderone are well known in the NYC clubbing scene, probably right under the upper tier of popularity ( Tiesto, Avicii, etc... ). They even played a huge event together a few months back.

Underground doesn't mean unknown.

Those are 2 big names, but they're only known to ppl in the scene, so I think that would make them underground.

Hygro
04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
*image of 17 yr old*

All the OG ravers I know thought ecstasy was an integral part of their early experience. Thankfully they didn't call it mollie....

l0ckd0wn
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Underground doesn't mean unknown.

Those are 2 big names, but they're only known to ppl in the scene, so I think that would make them underground.

This.

monomer
04-20-2012, 01:05 AM
It's interesting, I caught the tail end of trance here, and although it still wasn't the underground scene here, the big shows that came through still had more of a rave-y feeling vibe, like other people said about getting together. Now it seems dubstep is just like something that you expect to hear when you go to a club, a bar, a lounge, heck I bet macy's is gonna start playing it soon in store. I don't think I would ever imagine hearing tiesto or armin, or even deadmau5 earlier stuff (before ghosts n stuff) at bars; now you just walk in and expect skrillex to come on 5 times.

Not sure how much is because I'm in Columbus as opposed to the NY/LA/SF/CH/DET/MIAMI crowds

It's very segregated here. Techno/house shows? yup. DnB and Dubstep shows? all the time. I think on any given day, you can find a dub orientated party somewhere around town. God knows I get the countless invites on FB.

-I used to run sound for some of the bigger dubstep nights. I really, really dislike the music played: and I also felt like the oldest person there (18 and up)

Most parties I attend are anything but massive. It's usually a loft or a bar/club.

But then again, I don't usually goto top40/pop bar/clubs/lounges/theaters/alleys or whatever. If I wanna drink and relax, it's not going to be listening to the same 10 songs the radio endlessly plays.

spiz
04-20-2012, 09:45 AM
It's very segregated here. Techno/house shows? yup. DnB and Dubstep shows? all the time. I think on any given day, you can find a dub orientated party somewhere around town. God knows I get the countless invites on FB.

-I used to run sound for some of the bigger dubstep nights. I really, really dislike the music played: and I also felt like the oldest person there (18 and up).

Yeah... this is what I've noticed around here. I don't usually go out to a many dubstep events if they're 18+ because of the crowd. There are a good number of house/techno shows though.

Most house/techno shows people dress normal unless it's some kind of themed party. The dubstep / <rager> events people will come all decked out in 'rave' neon attire.

The Blackest
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
So here in Toronto

We'll just stop right there. Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet or not, but in the late 90s, early 2000s, TDot was the candy raver capital of North America. EVERY time I came up there to party/play there were flocks of Candy Ravers all over the place. Neon bracelets, 55" wide leg pants w/ inserts and millions of glow sticks. Even one of my good friends from up there worked at a store that only sold "Candy" and Happy Hardcore CDs and mixtapes. Man I used to clown on that dude so hard for working there.

Anyways, yeah I'm not surprised that that is still the trend up there. Either deal w/ it or party else where. That style has been popular for well over a decade up there.

zaxl
04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
i don't care what people wear to a party unless it's something that will very obviously make it difficult or uncomfortable to dance. if somebody is dressed like that, i feel like they just don't get it. otherwise, game on

login
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
if somebody is dressed like that, i feel like they just don't get it. otherwise, game on

they don't get what?

Finnish_Fox
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
they don't get what?

Exactly.

:zany:

But seriously, I think he meant people who get so caught up in the dress that they forget the reason they went to a dance party to begin with - to dance - and its evident because they wear stuff that doesn't make sense to dance in.

That's the way I read it.

zaxl
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I think he meant people who get so caught up in the dress that they forget the reason they went to a dance party to begin with - to dance - and its evident because they wear stuff that doesn't make sense to dance in.

this!

Hygro
04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Wait, if you're criticizing someone's dance attire you're even further from dancing than the guy who wants to dance in a costume. Dancing in a costume is fun, anyway.

Finnish_Fox
04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Wait, if you're criticizing someone's dance attire you're even further from dancing than the guy who wants to dance in a costume. Dancing in a costume is fun, anyway.

Uhhhh... its called multi-tasking. Duh! :tup:

No one said costume. A costume in which you can wear comfy clothing and sneakers underneath would be comfortable. A chick wearing 3" stiletto's at an underground house music party will stand out because of what she is wearing.

Original
04-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I can't believe people actually care about this kind of stuff.

Finnish_Fox
04-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't believe people actually care about this kind of stuff.

Define care. Just because something is being discussed on DJF and we can laugh/critique it from our cubicles at work doesn't mean we waste our time when we go out.

Hygro
04-20-2012, 08:34 PM

No one said costume. A costume in which you can wear comfy clothing and sneakers underneath would be comfortable. A chick wearing 3" stiletto's at an underground house music party will stand out because of what she is wearing.
jeez a costume doesn't have to be a mascot suit. A costume can be that naked teenager's attire above. Not really any room to put clothes under than unless she wants sweatpants sticking out below the skirt. Anyway, most of these "bad" styles are still sufficiently comfortable.

3 inch stilettos at a house music dance party is pretty dumb though. There's a difference between trading comfort for style and... that.

monomer
04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

If you don't wear your dancing shoes, go elsewhere.

They aint there for the music at that point.

techs1200
04-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Didnt read the whole thread but I wanted to say that if you dont know what UFO pants are, then you aint a raver...

Buszaj
04-21-2012, 12:17 AM
But seriously, I think he meant people who get so caught up in the dress that they forget the reason they went to a dance party to begin with - to dance - and its evident because they wear stuff that doesn't make sense to dance in.

That's the way I read it.

This is a really good summary of my thoughts. I feel some people do forget a bit about the music. They get more hyped about the dress and drug culture. I feel the reason it's brought to my attention more and more is because of this one facebook group called "Toronto Rave Community". Now, it is just a facbeook group, but these people are at all the events. They mean business lol. I mean, bless them for helping push the popularity of the music and consistently getting big names to come to Toronto. But just seeing some of the posts there......it does seem that some people lose touch with the music.

NickyNines
04-21-2012, 01:00 AM
I've been going since the late 90's and remember Flares haha :lol:

I have always just dressed how I normally dress. Never been a fan of Candy. Just different strokes for different folks I guess. Nothing to get worked up about.

login
04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
It has always been that way, the music for many people is important as far as it brings them together, then it is just one more of the ingredients for having fun, fun being the "real" point of all this.

Bassline Brine
04-22-2012, 08:44 AM
This is a complicated situation that I've talked with friends about.

None of us mind looking at women, and it's part of the culture I guess that's a lot more enjoyable than many other evening/nightclub activities.

But it really comes down to is, if someone has a main focus on the music their mind is usually in the right place. If they start doing it "just to get dressed up" or for the drugs, then you know they won't last long.

I have friends who really enjoy getting all done up for parties, and it's part of the experience for them. I won't help that, and I know they enjoy the aspect of putting together an outfit and having pride in it.

I started wearing neon (orange or yellow) years ago. Been going to shows since '01. And at one point I just grabbed a bright as fuck shirt, this was when I was literally the only person wearing one at some big events, and I never had to look for my friends again. They just met on me, since I was easy to find lol. So call it lazy, but it still works :)

monomer
04-24-2012, 12:38 AM
http://www.facebook.com/groups/122146451154789/

Plenty in that group.