PDA

View Full Version : Reason 6.5

Mystic
04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
So Reason 6.5 was announced last night and I'm actually considering up****** to it after not really using it since Ver 4. Is it worth the $160 for it to update and have they gotten to the point where they can be considered a serious tool for production on the same level as something like Native Instruments?

I really liked Reason as a starter tool in the past, but the sound quality really couldn't compare to other more professional programs available at the time.

Andrew B
04-17-2012, 01:48 PM
My last upgrade was 2.5. :lol:

Mystic
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

From everything I've read on the updates over the past few versions, they have come a long way. You can now use audio ins and I hear they are adding plugin support which is interesting. It's certainly made me take another look.

Celestial
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM

wow bro, i'm still on version 4

hey btw, do you still want me to upload those tutorials? I gotta get my comp fixed first to even get into them, it's got some kind of a bad bug that keeps freezing it, even when i'm trying to run a spyware doctor, gonna have a pro look at it

Divercity
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Ive got reason 6 from a reason 4 upgrade awhile back. They have changed quite a few things and it really is alot better in my view.

Its worth it man..Rewired and you are GOLDEN! :P just make sure you install both 32 and 64

login
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Their plug in support is on their propietary format, so I doubt there will be many developers jumping.

Mystic
04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
True, but you still have a lot of companies that design refills that will likely jump at it.

I'm still on the fence. I need a tool I can work with when I'm not in my studio for EDM. I'd move some of my VSTs over, but things like NI are huge in size and while I don't need to install all the modules in complete, I kinda wanna tinker in something different but still professional which has a large arsenal of sounds to work with.

thehadgi
04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Not a fan of reason. Mostly I hate rewiring. If it were more like NI plugs I might be more receptive to it :shrug:

mostapha
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I need a tool I can work with when I'm not in my studio for EDM.…I kinda wanna tinker in something different but still professional which has a large arsenal of sounds to work with.Reason definitely fits that bill. It's a different workflow from basically everything else, but it has some charm.

Not a fan of reason. Mostly I hate rewiring. If it were more like NI plugs I might be more receptive to it :shrug:

So, we're like exact opposites. I wish more things supported ReWire and kind of hate NI plugs…I don't understand why all the effects have to happen in the guitar rig player, and I hate that they seem to really hide the information you need for proper gain staging.

login
04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
True, but you still have a lot of companies that design refills that will likely jump at it.

I'm still on the fence. I need a tool I can work with when I'm not in my studio for EDM. I'd move some of my VSTs over, but things like NI are huge in size and while I don't need to install all the modules in complete, I kinda wanna tinker in something different but still professional which has a large arsenal of sounds to work with.

Ableton suite also serves that quiete well, more if you throw in m4l.

Con sidering u-he is going to port some of his plug ins it Reason could really be a good options with the three power synths: zebra, diva and ACE.

Mystic
04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I gave Ableton a go and hated the workflow of it, unfortunately. I've heard nothing but good things from people on here but after years of using other DAWs, it seems like a huge step backwards.

ezelkow1
04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ableton suite also serves that quiete well, more if you throw in m4l.

Con sidering u-he is going to port some of his plug ins it Reason could really be a good options with the three power synths: zebra, diva and ACE.

Thats not really a definite. Im pretty sure Urs has already said he cant do most of his synths in reason due to their architecture. Thats why they did some of the simple effects first. Sugarbytes has also said they arent porting anything, just doing simple little things separate from their existing catalog

Mystic
04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Bit the bullet and bought it. Only $170 for the upgrade but I've been hearing nothing but good things; even on GearSlutz. That tells me a lot, so I think it'll be a good investment.

Celestial
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM

that's the core reason right there (no pun intended), if Reason was your main DAW once you rewire it you would see the light. I'm gonna safely assume you're not all too familiar with cv's correct?

mostapha
04-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Man…rewire is so incredibly powerful. If the app that runs the MPC Renaissance acts as a ReWire slave, that might make my decision to switch right there.

thehadgi
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
that's the core reason right there (no pun intended), if Reason was your main DAW once you rewire it you would see the light. I'm gonna safely assume you're not all too familiar with cv's correct?

I use actual hardware cv frequently, so I would say I'm familiar enough

Celestial
04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I use actual hardware cv frequently, so I would say I'm familiar enough

then I don't understand how you can be against reason, it's known for it's cv capabilities, emulating hardware within software realm. Most of us that rewire reason into a master daw such as ableton tend to look at reason as a separate, and very powerful at that VSTi, that's all it really comes down to, being able to have a very powerful VSTi, a good amount of us don't use it as a solo DAW, but as a rewire instrument it's a monster.

Ignotus
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
i have reason 5, and my buddy has 6, i just REALLY hate the new layout of 6, its very weird to me and foreign... although i haven't read about 6.5 yet, guess ill do that now!

Mystic
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
The layout in 6 isn't too much different if you think of it in terms of a wide rack. I actually kind of like it. More workspace area.

Celestial
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
they finally expendaded it?

mostapha
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah…i'm not sure quite what he's talking about. They added the mixer from Record, and it's in something that looks kinda like a rack but is separate from the main rack. Other than that, I can't picture what he's talking about.

Mystic
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
It use to be a single rack, but now you have more room with a double rack. Not sure if this is new to version 6 or not since I've not used Reason in a couple versions, but it's certainly nice.

mostapha
04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Must be new to 6.5. It wasn't in 6 to my knowledge.

Celestial
04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
It use to be a single rack, but now you have more room with a double rack. Not sure if this is new to version 6 or not since I've not used Reason in a couple versions, but it's certainly nice.

by double rack you mean you can have 2 separate racks? Just verifying it, and it sounds like a real cpu eater

Mystic
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
No, it's just an interface change from what I can tell. Makes working a little more convenient because I don't need to scroll down as much.

mostapha
04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah…that always confused me. Everything switched to widescreen displays, and Reason's rack only ever used about half of it.

Probably a very positive change.

Can you route CV and Audio b/t the two sides of the rack?

And did they do anything to fix its god-awful sequencer?

Mystic
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Yep, you can route your audio from one to the other.
You don't like Matrix? I never thought it was that bad. They added a new one called RPG8.

mostapha
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
No, I mean the sequencer window…which now holds audio too. The pattern sequencer device is kind of awesome. And I've used RPG8 if you're talking about the arpeggiator thing.