PDA

View Full Version : The Bridal Show Thread

Sween
04-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Post up photos of your displays.

Describe what you show. Demos? Lighting? Sound? Facade? Banners? Promo gifts? Brochures? Music? Information?

Been in business several years and have only done one small one. Going to be doing a bigger one this year sponsored by a local radio station. I'll have two other DJ's from the competition there. Need to have a good presentation to outshine them.

Thinking I will have an uplighting demo perhaps... and maybe a moving head or two.

DJStevieRay
04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Sween,
Here is another bridal show thread (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1127-My-spot-at-the-bridal-show-next-weekend&highlight=bridal+show) which may be of some use. Including pics of my booth.

You can also view this, of one I did sound and lighting for.

http://youtu.be/Luki89h03zk

Sween
04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Speaking of elevated banners. Here are some pics from Bridal Shows, I have done. Instead of a banner. I use a custom glass Gobo, I can put anywhere with my moving heads.

http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/booth2.jpg
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/booth1.jpg

Nice setup. And similar to what I was thinking... although I was hoping to just do a single truss totem and one screen, and maybe a speaker on the other side. Put a Qspot on top, shine a gobo on the floor in front of the table, and uplight the truss. (I don't use the truss socks though).

DJMC
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
FYI -- Bridal Shows are just another obsolete form of marketing.

Attendance at these shows has been in decline for many years.

Most of the "couples" attending will peruse the offerings, then go home and "surf the net" for their actual choices.

Sween
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Well, ideally 5 bookings from a show would be all I need to justify the cost and time.

Is that feasible? What is everyone's experience? FYI, this one also includes radio ads on the big top 40 station here with a 20 something demographic.

DJStevieRay
04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Personally I do well at Bridal Shows. My findings are the ones that still attend them, want to choose the best vendor for their money, not the cheapest vendor they can find. Personally I do 4 a year, and 50% of my bookings come directly from these shows.

RodneyL
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I have considered doing the one in my area around Christmas time... maybe it would help me book more winter dates (which is slooow for me). Not sure if it will be worth it though, not sure my setup is "pretty enough" to standout. I dont use trusses or LCD screens.

Djmike209
04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree I do well at shows. Lots of good leads, I usually book 2 weddings at the show. and follow up and book 2 more.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3742418/RSS/IMG_1053.JPG

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-17-2012, 01:56 PM
This was my 1st bridal show earlier this year. Got 3 bookings on the spot and about 3-4 more after the fact. Its definitely worth it. What are the costs in your market? I always get a double booth and it ranges from 650-800 a show. I do plan on switching the booth up at the next show, which is on the 26th. Im going to set up my truss with my TVs and no lights. Put up my facade with the video board then next to that will be my booth and next to that will be a table for my photographer. I plan on handing out brochures that I had made that has a ton of info along with some business cards and magnets that look like my cards.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/aggreciv/b223ca98.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/aggreciv/37696e86.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/aggreciv/b2ea2ad9.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/aggreciv/80754a24.jpg

DJNR
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not a wedding DJ, but I'm just curious: do you guys get a lot of gigs from attending these things? I feel like although weddings are plentiful, they are a one-time thing and many brides would just look locally for DJs rather than attending a convention.

Sween
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
@Donnie - There is no double booth option at this one. Single 6 foot table only. Limited spaces for DJ's (only 3 or 4 invited). $500. Your presentation there is HUGE! I think mine will be much more simple. But I will probably include a single monitor, (1) truss totem with Qspot, and some uplights (under the table and behind a backdrop or something), and I'm thinking I might hand out a promotional item (mugs or something).

@DJNR - Here's the thing about Brides...

They've been waiting to get married since they were 3.

The actual wedding only lasts one day. They LOVE planning the wedding more than they will actually enjoy the wedding day (because it will go by in a blur). I'd compare it to planning a vacation. It is the MAIN reason why brides end up getting disappointed with things on the wedding day (because they spent two years planning it, and they expect it to be PERFECT).

So, many brides (usually right after they get engaged, much to the shagrin of their fiance) will rush out to a Bridal Show to start looking at all they wonderful things they can have at their wedding (AKA SHOPPING... which we know women do well). They will drag their senseless fiance with them, and very likely their mother (and possibly a bridesmaid).

It goes against "man" logic. If grooms were in charge of planning the wedding, they'd pick the one with the best website, sign the contract, and move the F on (all before kickoff).

DJNR
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Ah gotcha. Thanks for explaining that. +rep :tup:

DJStevieRay
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
The bridal shows are local in each area. There are not national bridal shows.

In my market. The one bridal show I do costs $325. Another costs $700. And the most expensive one is $1200 for a 10x10 booth. Although the last one is 2 days and gets about 400 brides.

SummitAudioDJ
04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Attendance to bridal shows in my area has been steadily declining. Now it seems most people will grab everyones info and go shopping online checking out everyones websites. I always have a demo video playing and make my booth look as flashy as possible. People in my area want the most for there money so showing off alot of lights and having a clear example of uplighting in front of them really sells it. This is a plus since nobody really does full room uplighting in my area.

Our bridal show costs $150 for 2 days and includes a 16 foot long space in the middle of a mall. I usually book at least 4 from it.

Here is a picture of my display from last year. This year was similar except I used a 10 foot stretchy screen over my main truss for the video and only had uplighting on the sides. I also took less lights and my RCF 310a's.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/hiker9/P1290074.jpg

Dix
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
We do one or two each year. We have one in the fall which is promoted by a local photographer & the one in the spring of the year is sponsored by the local newspaper.
I have done the one in the fall a few times & we haven't had much luck with it. We worked the one in Feb this year & had about the same number of brides (possibly a few more) but booked, so far, maybe 4 from it. We have done other shows in the past such as Dillards, Davids Bridal etc & done ok.

Whether its how they are promoted, who is sponsoring or whether its the Spring or Fall season.... I don't know what makes one better than the other.

The Spring show is $325 & the fall show is $225. Both have about 125 brides each.

DJStevieRay
04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Summit,
You are in our area, You should try the LV Bridal Show or Eastern PA Bridal Expo. The first has an attendance over 2 days of around 2000 people (around 700-800 Brides), the second is closer to 1000 (around 400 brides). Although both shows are well over $1000 for a 10x10 booth.

pertytown
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I have been thinking of doing a few shows a year. The main problem is the cost! Minimum I have seen for one in our area (Madison Wisconsin) is about $650, and its not a big space. The big show in Milwaukee last time I checked was over a grand, not including electricity (I think that was an extra $200). I am thinking of getting an indoor booth at the dane county fair this year (only 385 including power for a corner 10x10 space, and I can get a double space corner and aisle for 585)

Da Animal
04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
I have been thinking of doing a few shows a year. The main problem is the cost! Minimum I have seen for one in our area (Madison Wisconsin) is about $650, and its not a big space. The big show in Milwaukee last time I checked was over a grand, not including electricity (I think that was an extra $200). I am thinking of getting an indoor booth at the dane county fair this year (only 385 including power for a corner 10x10 space, and I can get a double space corner and aisle for 585)

Funny how a couple of hours difference can change the price that much. I do the Visuelle show up here in Green Bay for around $650 and they actually go down from there, that is the big one. I haven't bothered to go to any others for the last 2 years though.

The fair might not be a terrible idea, it won't be a concentration of brides but you might pick up some other parties out of it....

SummitAudioDJ
04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
I really like to stay as local as possible with my gigs. I do this part time so I don't need (well actually can't fill) every weekend with a gig since my full time job requires me to work every other weekend (3rd shift) . I figure if I book people in the LV area I would possibly be traveling nearly 2 hours to a gig, just not my cup of tea. $1000 is pretty steep but with all that exposure it would be worth it. With a show that big you also have 10x's more competition.

DJStevieRay
04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah the last big show I did had 14 DJ's in it.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeah the last big show I did had 14 DJ's in it.

That is so common here. Last show had about the same and the next one, in a week, had 10 that I know of.

Sween
04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
14 DJ's is ridiculous. That is why I won't do the big ones. There is only 3 or 4 at the one I'm doing.

DJ Donnie Lewis
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
That's pretty good. Problem with the exclusive ones here is that they only allow their preferred vendors and you can only get in if a vendor backs out. Basically its a huge waiting list.

Sween
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
That's pretty good. Problem with the exclusive ones here is that they only allow their preferred vendors and you can only get in if a vendor backs out. Basically its a huge waiting list.

Exactly why I jumped on it quickly.

Nick_EventPro
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
14 DJ's is ridiculous. That is why I won't do the big ones. There is only 3 or 4 at the one I'm doing.

Yeah, the good shows will limit the number of vendors in a given category- manny will e ven give vendor exclusivity in certain areas of the show floor.

Sween
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, the good shows will limit the number of vendors in a given category- manny will e ven give vendor exclusivity in certain areas of the show floor.

^^Yeah, I'm hoping for that. 4 hours standing directly next to my competition could get ugly. I think it makes better sense to space us out so we're not trying to outsell each other...

wapples
08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I get 90 % of our booking through our bridal EXPO. Its the biggest day on the calendar for us and we need to shift ALOT Of gear but its not easy selling uplighting, GOBO projeciton, Chocolate fountains and cady Buffets over a telephone customers love to see and taste and sample it in action. We go way out and are usually the biggest exibitor on the day and I would not have it any other way. We do cinema advertising and no one misses our big colourful van BUT still the expo for us is the key!

Drewbdo
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I hoping to take my business to a "full-time gig" this year, so the added exposure is key to growth. I did 25 weddings last year, but haven't tried a bridal show before. So in addition to an Open House at the venue where I'm the "preferred DJ", I will be in three Bridal Shows this spring, two in January, one in March.

I'm hiring one of the girls who works at the venue as an assistant. She is young (23-25?), pretty, and is used to dealing with brides. We have worked together for several weddings at the venue. I didn't do her wedding though, as she got married there a few months before I started working there.

I ordered a new design for business cards, with matching postcards to give out at the show. I don't have handouts though (koozies, pens, etc). I will probably wear my standard fare... black long sleeve dress shirt, and black tuxedo slacks. Haven't decided about a vest or tie.

It is a 10'x10' booth at each show. I plan to use uplights under the tables and on the backdrop/drape, and have a photo slideshow on the MBP. I may set up one speaker (QSC K10) with a playlist of jazz/cocktail hour music.

I am debating on setting up my turntables, just for looks, not to play, but so they can see what I do. I thought it might be eye-catching, as so many DJ's now are either using controllers/CDJ's, or laptop only. What do you guys think?

Do you think I should rent any "gobos" or "moving heads"? I don't have them yet, and haven't had any requests for them in the past two years, so I haven't spent the money to buy them.

I plan to post photos here after the shows.

Brandt Slater
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
^^Yeah, I'm hoping for that. 4 hours standing directly next to my competition could get ugly. I think it makes better sense to space us out so we're not trying to outsell each other...

Exactly. Way back in the early nineties we did a bridal show which had about 12 dj services. The coordinator thought it would be a good idea to put all the dj's in one area of the expo. Basically one aisle of dj's, another for photographers, videographers, floral, etc. Two day event. Fortunately the two services which were left and right of our set up were friends of ours. Everybody seemed to be trying to out do everyone with the typical used car salesman tactic. Pretty humorous.

Brandt Slater
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Do you think I should rent any "gobos" or "moving heads"? I don't have them yet, and haven't had any requests for them in the past two years, so I haven't spent the money to buy them.

I plan to post photos here after the shows.

You can actually buy your own custom gobos. http://gobosource.com/gos/wedding-gobos.php
That's just one place that came to mind. There's many others outhere. We make all of our custom gobo's in house.

As for renting movers, I try to stay away from renting. I prefer possible clients seeing what we have in stock for their event. However, if you do rent them, you gonna want to consider buying those same fixtures at some point. Since it's possible they may remember your set up. Also renting gets expensive.

DjNeedleSharp
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I highly doubt a bride would give two shits about moving heads... Just make sure you have a clean setup that stands out from everyone else. It does need to be flashy or else they won't even stop at your booth let alone remember you! You need to be the most over the top and expensive DJ there or the cheapest DJ there. I feel like the rest will get lost in between.

When I do my expo:
-Totem on each side with LCDs on each showing promo material and photos and moving heads on top slow scanning
-up lighting on large backdrop behind me (fading colors to get attention)
-facade with LED lighting. I will use the table behind it as my "deal closer" and have one of my powered speakers to explain how dependable my gear is, backup, etc, laptop with library up (light music on autoplay) and maybe my dmx controller to show how I can customize (brides love that word) a show just for their day.
*only a few small business card holders* NO banner, no brochures... It will look like a wedding setup. Everything else just looks tacky to me...

I'm also considering giving away custom address labels for save the dates or even just printing and designing the save the dates for all the brides wanting to sign up. I would send the address labels to the brides address "hassle free" simply with a letter and a business card and if they wanted me to print the save the date postcards for them for free, they would just have to meet with me in person to design everything. :) Now I have them face to face and I'm being very helpful... Maybe asking a question or two about their day and let them ask me about DJing as to not be pushy. The cost of printing wouldn't be more than $25 per bride for 200 prints and would totally be worth it since I'm thinking at least 1 out of 4 brides i meet with will end up booking.

Who knows... Would love to hear others ideas on stuff like this!

DJStevieRay
02-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I highly doubt a bride would give two shits about moving heads...

You don't sell the bride on "moving Heads". You give them an image in their head. You show them a follow spot for their first dance, you show them a spotlight on their first dance, you show them their ceiling washed in clouds or a kaleidoscope of their Wedding Colors. You could even get a photograph from a photographer whos shot was ruined by red green and blue dots on everyone's faces and dresses. You sell the end result not the equipment, regardless of what tools you choose to use. Nobody sells a bride a nimbus machine, they sell "Dancing on the Clouds".

DjNeedleSharp
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I see where you are coming from but just for arguments sake, I can do pretty much all of that with a scanner within a reasonable scope... I just dont see the basic converstaions that are being had at a bridal show involving upselling and demoing your services to that extent.

If you are able to skip forward to upselling to brides at a convention... You are wayyy ahead of anyone on here. Im all for differentiating but I feel like that's a stretch. My main concern would be to stick out jussstt enough in the brides mind to get her to want to meet with me outside the show. THEN comes the specific upsells.

Dix
02-02-2013, 11:01 PM
I see where you are coming from but just for arguments sake, I can do pretty much all of that with a scanner within a reasonable scope... I just dont see the basic converstaions that are being had at a bridal show involving upselling and demoing your services to that extent.

If you are able to skip forward to upselling to brides at a convention... You are wayyy ahead of anyone on here. Im all for differentiating but I feel like that's a stretch. My main concern would be to stick out jussstt enough in the brides mind to get her to want to meet with me outside the show. THEN comes the specific upsells.

Agreed... Most of the brides come by, pick up literature, ask what you charge, maybe a couple more questions & they move on. Some however will attempt to ask more questions if they are really interested in hiring YOU. But most are there to get basic information along with brochures etc & go over all the information with family or friends. Then they will visit with the final two or three vendors in each area to find the right one for the job.
You really have to learn how to deliver an important & impressionable presentation in a minute or less. I am not saying a visual presentation doesn't work because it does, but you do not need to bring a lot of equipment to make that impression. It just needs to look good & make an impression that you are professional.
For you new guys, just keep in mind, you normally do not have long to talk with them. Its usually packed with brides & vendors & they have to try to make their way around the whole show & get info from everyone.

Hope this helps... good luck :)

DJStevieRay
02-03-2013, 01:11 AM
I only bring two totems, 2 heads and 2 tv's and I have booked at least 7 already from each of the 3 bridal shows I did this year. That's 21 dates filled. Not everyone stops, not everyone I talk to, but not everyone is my customer, if they are not willing to spend $1500 on the entertainment for the most important day of their life, they are most likely not my customer.

Dix
02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Not everyone stops, not everyone I talk to.....

Let me use this to go back to my post in #34.

Your are correct Stevie Ray. Its a point that I over looked in most bridal shows. However when I talked about only having a couple of minutes to speak to brides, our shows here are set up a bit different from most shows I am sure.
About two years ago, show directors here started giving away a grand prize for one lucky bride. The show gives each bride a list of each vendors at the show. In order for the bride to be eligible for the grand prize, she has to visit each booth & have the vendor initial the sheet. This insures that every bride visits every vendor to visit or pickup information. While it does get hectic sometimes, we like the idea. It at least introduces us to the bride & she possibly remembers us & it gets our literature in her hand. While some brides have already chosen a DJ, it still gives us an opportunity to show the bride who we are. Whether its for future events or, in case there should be a problem with her current DJ for this wedding or a future wedding.
So, like Stevie Ray said, not every bride will stop at your booth. At our show, every bride does come by & most don't stay long unless they are truly interested in hiring a DJ soon. Some will stay & talk, most get info & move along.