PDA

View Full Version : Trick mixing in hip-hop (post some videos)

Sigma
04-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Most people know what mixing, scratching and beat juggling is, but trick mixing seems to be a somewhat neglected area of hip-hop DJing these days. Post some videos that demonstrate good trick mixing skills.

This is a really good example: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKr2KL3HhU

And J.Rocc trick mixing with 2 copies of Apache: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1n_af0RTfY

Finnish_Fox
04-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Do they all have their counterweights all the way forward? First vid looks almost for sure, harder time with the J. Rocc.

PONTUS.2
04-17-2012, 02:06 AM
so clean....

2wxtL5OAT00

Nick Bike
04-17-2012, 02:36 AM
fellow friend Skratch Bastid

bBQKgr3DN_E

IJrY5GLmO7E

X5NN-ljO1KU

funkyfresh
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
fellow friend Skratch Bastid

That last vid was bad ass! :D

DJArmani
04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Skratch Bastid is SICK.

rotoitiman
04-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I keep watching that last vid - trying to convince myself to sell my mobile setup. More gear to lug around!!!

JuxtaPoser
04-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Holy shit, that Pink Floyd/Parliament routine is nuts, really clever idea.

J5k
04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
The Alphabethead video, at least the first few minutes are fn sick. What makes it so good to me is that it stays danceable, usually beat juggling routines are impressive to watch but are kind of hard to dance to. I don't want to go see a Dj beat juggle all night, but ish like that thrown in here and there keeps it fresh.

Sigma
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
The Alphabethead video, at least the first few minutes are fn sick. What makes it so good to me is that it stays danceable, usually beat juggling routines are impressive to watch but are kind of hard to dance to. I don't want to go see a Dj beat juggle all night, but ish like that thrown in here and there keeps it fresh.
^^Agreed. That was basically the motivation for starting this thread.

JuxtaPoser
04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I spent ages trying to find Jazzy Jeff's Next Episode routine but I can't find any videos of him doing it, just loads of people imitating it. It's really good though :-/

J5k
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
If you havent seen his vids yet, search for DJ 3rd Rail. He's a little more laidback vs someone like scratch bastid but an awesome example of trick mixing and juggling within the context of a longer set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgLz8fyUqw

lovecitydjs
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
love this thread.

Finnish_Fox
04-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I notice a lot of them have the pitch at +8%. Any particular reason for this?

Sigma
04-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Personally I hate that, but it's probably cos music can sound more "energetic" when pitched up.

Finnish_Fox
04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Personally I hate that, but it's probably cos music can sound more "energetic" when pitched up.

Ah, was wondering if the increased platter speed (i.e. more torque) helps for scratching/juggling...

Sigma
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Ah, was wondering if the increased platter speed (i.e. more torque) helps for scratching/juggling...
Not really. It makes it harder if anything, because you have less time to react. The torque remains the same though, because that's dictated by the power of the turntable motor, not the speed at which the platter spins. You can get belt drives that'll play at 78, which is fast, but there's almost no torque.

Finnish_Fox
04-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Not really. It makes it harder if anything, because you have less time to react. The torque remains the same though, because that's dictated by the power of the turntable motor, not the speed at which the platter spins. You can get belt drives that'll play at 78, which is fast, but there's almost no torque.

Gotcha.

New to this
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Does anyone happen to have any how to videos they can post?

Sigma
05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't, but the way I learned to do some of this stuff - and I'm by no means as good as some of the guys in these vids - is to just watch, analyse, and copy.

DjDisArm
05-08-2012, 12:23 PM

its a lot of rocking the cross fader back and forth mainly on the snare and looking at where you're cue points are... you can watch a lot of DMC competitions... but yeah make sure you put stickers on your vinyls or timecoded vinyls so you can tell where the record is at also listen to where you left off, then bring the record back its hard to describe its basic turntablism...

this i always thought was a pretty sick routine

http://youtu.be/0OvuTO-h_ZI

ccabungcal
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Babu is a beast.

ccabungcal
05-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Boi jeanius has got to be the sickest mother fucker out right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6WIFSkwLM

ccabungcal
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Another dope ass set by him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuqqT86vJxY&feature=relmfu

migvelaz
06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm going to recommend DJ 3rdrail also, this is part 1 of a really good mix he does. Starts doing tricks and mixing around 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrvVsUvWt8&feature=relmfu

DJ Pyro
07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Do they all have their counterweights all the way forward? First vid looks almost for sure, harder time with the J. Rocc.

a lot of Hip-Hop DJs have the counterweight all the way forward for a few diff reasons. Sometimes it may be to stop the needle from skipping when scratching/ Sometimes it may be to minimize the vibrations from the bass if real close to the subs. Sometimes it is to help control the backspin which is pretty common in Hip-Hop DJing. Those are just a few different reasons and it varies from DJ to DJ. I keep mine all the way because I do a lot of backspins and I've noticed if I don't have it all the way the needle tends to skip.

DJ Pyro
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I spent ages trying to find Jazzy Jeff's Next Episode routine but I can't find any videos of him doing it, just loads of people imitating it. It's really good though :-/

I actually recorded 30 mins of his routine and that was part of what I recorded. I uploaded a part of his routine a few years ago but I can't even remember what all he did in it. I know I have the video somewhere but I'm sure it would take days for me to find it as I record short video clips at all my events now and have pretty everything saved in one big folder smh.

A lot of Hip-Hop music is slower thus it doesn't sound as good when cutting and scratching it. Increasing the pitch helps to add energy to the track and while yes the track is faster it actually makes you quicker on your cutting and scratching. I pretty always increase the tempo of tracks when doing parties because faster music = more energy a lot of the time.

DJ Q-Bert actually has a few on youtube as well as a whole video school (it does cost though). I would say search his name on youtube and at the end of the video you should see the links to the other how to vids. Hope that helps.

Lord Lav
07-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Great thread and great videos!

tekno_violet
07-16-2012, 05:28 AM
holy shit.