PDA

View Full Version : Help decide: DB2 - DJM 900 - X1700 ?

drewspupet
04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
DB2 - DJM 900 NExus - Denon x1700

I will be using with Traktor w/ the USB outs. I mainly use 2 decks + 1-2 loop/sample decks. Plan on getting 2 Denon SC-2000 controllers for controlling decks + sample decks/loops..

Just not sure what's the best option for me.. I do not scratch so not a concern there.. I know the quality of the DB2 is awesome.. but it looks like the fx routing/ better for the other two.

Experiences.. thoughts?

prODucer
04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that the most traktor friendly choice would be the djm 900, but I chose the db2. Not a fan of denon mixers personally but have heard loads of great reviews so idk. It's a tough choice!

B.Frank
04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
I've read great things about the db2. I'd definitely pick that up over the djm.

maybe hold off on the controllers for a bit too. Have you seen the new Behringer line coming out? Some of them look pretty good and are priced great. Just a thought.

matty1551
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I've used and own an X1600. It's a great mixer and im pretty sure they share a large portion of components.

If you're interested in buying pm me.

hoff
04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
If you don't have a traktor soundcard, get the denon. if you do, the db2. if you watch a lot of ultra vids and wanna be justt like guetta and the rest, djm 900.

drews_puppet
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Well, I don't have a traktor soundcard. Honestly, I mostly dj for me.. but it's likely I might play some local clubs. From what I have read the DB2 soundcard works fine with traktor. I don't use Traktor scratch.. so not worried about the certification- time code thing. The thing I don't like about the DB2 is the fx routing tied to the crossfader. I don't use a crossfader and that would bug me.

I certainly don't think the DJM 900 is crap. The fx routing is appealing to me. The other thing is... I might be tempted to even lay out for a DB4 if I thought I could take the mixer w/ me along with 2 slim controllers to a club,etc.. however I just don't think that will end up happening, space confines etc. I don't want to base my set using specifics of a mixer that can't be recreated in a gig setting. Am still not sure what option I will go with..

Synergy
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
you can reconfigure the db2....just saying.

drews_puppet
04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
you can reconfigure the db2....just saying.

Tell me more... as I thought I understood that the fx units were either tied to the crossfader or could be configured to the master. Selecting effects on individual channels is kind of a big one for me.

hoff
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
If you don't use a xfader, you can turn it off. That toggle switch simple becomes FX assign.

When I had the DB2 hooked up to traktor (not scratch) my cpu spiked a lot, and it ran at 50% at all times. This produced some crackles. I upped latencies and everything. My audio 10 keeps my cpu consistently at 10-15%. So in all reality, a soundcard is pretty essential.

No, the 900 is not a bad mixer... But it's the most expensive of the 3 and only has one FX core. The FX are also hardware limited (as pioneer doesn't get it and paints the fx on their friggen mixer making firmware fx upgrade hard). The denon has the best faders of the 3, the second best fx options compared to the db2 and traktor cert. When I upgraded from my x1600, I quickly realized I'd be spending $1000 extra for the colour fx in the 900. The db2 and x1700 have a second core, which is key as balls. The fx on the db2 are in a wholee different level than both the denon and pio - you literally can't even compare it to the others in terms of fx. So yeah, comparatively, the value is crap on the 900.

On a side note, the SC2000 is phenomenal. It had some compatibility issues with TP2 when it came out and I couldn't deal so I got the X1... going back to the 2000 very soon.. the pitch slider is more essential than I thought.

drews_puppet
04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info..

Cryder
05-03-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm gonna vote Denon, just to be different. Their latest club mixers are like some kind of undiscovered secret, so sick...

EDIT: Oh and I don't know if this matters but most high end Denon mixers are made in Japan still, not China...

noize_unit
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat as OP except i use scratch (with Tech 1200 mk5s) i plan on picking up CDJs as well as the new F1 controller (alrdy have the X1) i want a cleaner look (i.e get rid of Audio DJ 8) but dont want to have to deal with performance/Latency Issues, is it still too early to be looking at integrated sound cards in mixers as a viable replacement to standalone soundcard and standalone mixer? also have my setup hooked up to my main desktop PC which has insane specs compared to any laptop, eventually i will be moving the setup its own room and will need to run it off a laptop (thinking about the new ASUS N series, or HP DV6 or DV7) so performance will be even more of an issue

PS: sry not meaning to thread jack

prODucer
05-03-2012, 11:23 AM
My choice was the db2 and it should be here by next tuesday!! Sometimes I wonder if I should've given a closer look at the denon.

DJNR
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
No matter what you would have picked from your list, you were going to end up with a nice mixer.

Anyways, congratulations on your purchase!

drews_puppet
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I would have ended up going with the DB2.... but I had to downgrade my mixer funds$ and I just am in process of buying a used x1600 from a forum member. Probably will upgrade at some point to the DB2

TrueWind
05-04-2012, 09:07 AM
The denon's 1700 is also a great mixer. Not only does it have 2 efx cores as well, but the things that i really like about it is the vu. Meters, the fact that you can adjust the curves of all faders digitally with actual visual representations, the high quality sound card for traitor (pc does not spike), and the fact that you can literally layer efx from each core on 1 channel.

I am sadly selling mine as I will be going abroad. If you interested, I could sell it to you fairly cheap comparing to its 1900 retail value.