PDA

View Full Version : Sub not working?

LiveWireCS
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
My sub is getting a clean signal and powers up but it's as if it is dead. the clipping light blinks and such but no sound. Could this be a fuse issue?

Unknown DJ
04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Could be a lose wire. Sub not connected to the amp.

LiveWireCS
04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Ok I'll check it out. thanks!

sss18734
04-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Could be a lose wire. Sub not connected to the amp.

^Start here. Open that bad boy up and check the connections.

LiveWireCS
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
^Start here. Open that bad boy up and check the connections.

I wish that were it. All connections seem good. I am baffled. I have a prom Friday and an after party for a band coming to town Saturday. Ugh.

sss18734
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Sorry... I should have mentioned it before, but test the sub for a blown coil.

Lightly press the cone in around the dust cap (not on the cap itself). Thumb on one side of the dust cap, fingers on the other side. If you hear any scratching, it's definitely toast.

When did the sub quit working, by the way? This is a self-powered sub, correct?

pumpitdj
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I had this happen to me before also, and the speaker wire got disconnected , open it up , i'm 99 percent positive that's the problem

LiveWireCS
04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I opened it speaker is still connected. I changed the fuse. Speaker coil sounds fine. I am baffled.

LiveWireCS
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes self powered And I noticed it wasn't working when I went to do a gig Sunday. So I have no idea when it stopped.

djnotloc
04-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Take the sub out of the box or your amp off, whichever is easier. Next, take a external amp and hook it up to you speaker. No need to have if cranking and damage the sub, but just to rule out an amp problem. You can also take another speaker and hook to the sub amp to be sure its not the speaker. But if you test the coils and they seemed smooth I highly doubt its a speaker problem.

sss18734
04-17-2012, 01:14 AM
How are the internal wires hooked up to the amp? Unlikely, but it could be, that for some reason the wiring was damaged.

If they are connected with simple spade connection, remove them and leave the ends that are hooked to the sub connected. Touch the leads to opposite ends of a 9v battery. If the cone moves, the wiring and driver are fine and the issue is more than likely with your amp.

VjQue
04-17-2012, 02:25 AM
had a friend with that same problem it was a jbl jrx115. he blew something on the amp. it was $160 to fix took a week.

but take the speaker out and take a 9v battery and touch the leads. the speaker will move and make a pop noise meaning its good.

A#1 DJ
04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
If you hear any scratching, it's definitely toast.
Not so in the case of my Peavey 15'BW. Removed magnet to find that the foam air filter in the back had deteriorated to the point of "melting" and sticking to the coil which was preventing excursion and causing scratchiness . Worked just great after I cleaned it out. :)

LiveWireCS
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I am gonna send the amp section off to the company for repair. Here comes the kicker...it's a Gemini GVX-SUB15p.

Gemini...I know...I know..:(

VjQue
04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I am gonna send the amp section off to the company for repair. Here comes the kicker...it's a Gemini GVX-SUB15p.

Gemini...I know...I know..:(did you remover the speaker and test it.

djnotloc
04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I picked up the GVK sub18 a couple year back as my first sub. I never had any problems with it at all. Wasn't the greatest by any means, but got the job done most of the time.

LiveWireCS
04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
did you remover the speaker and test it.

No I guess I just assumed I would hear SOMETHING out of it if it's blown, I will test it with the 9volt battery before I do anything. I'll let you know.

VjQue
04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
No I guess I just assumed I would hear SOMETHING out of it if it's blown, I will test it with the 9volt battery before I do anything. I'll let you know.yeah if you dont hear nothing from the speaker grab another one (if you have 1) hook it and if it plays it was the sub.

Manu
04-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Lightly press the cone in around the dust cap (not on the cap itself). Thumb on one side of the dust cap, fingers on the other side. If you hear any scratching, it's definitely toast.

never press with your fingers on a cone, you might end up doing some damage. Use a AAA battery to test a driver.

LiveWireCS
04-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Well I got through last night but not as well as I liked. Now if I can just survive tonights gig I should be able to have that sub fixed by next weekend. Whew!