PDA

View Full Version : Beatport is doing it... right

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I've always received emails from BP with recommendations to new releases but since all the new changes, I've been paying attention to them more. The emails being sent are more detailed with selections for different occasions. Last week the email included selections to "Ultimate Set Openers". Each genre had a different link, which took me to a page with 10 tracks, some recently released and some released a year ago. I have another email, set p the same way but for acappellas.

Not sure when they started doing this but it has to have been in the last yr or so and I’m actually reading these emails. Before I use to delete them, so other sites need to do something similar, instead of just recommend a new release.

I need to double check, but i'm sure I receive emails from most of the major digital record shops, but none of them stand out like this new BP format.

Props to BP for turning spam into useful email. :tup:

PopeofDope
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Great to hear.. where can I submit our emailaddress to receive those recommendations??

login
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
To be honest I dont like those mails, they never contain any music of my interest.

I prefer their coupons :D Like last year promotion with 50% discount.

Era 7
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
there have been quite a few of those emails around. never quite what fit my style but i recently got one that had track from the MMM with some bumping tunes in in :) right on beatport :tup:

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
To be honest I dont like those mails, they never contain any music of my interest.

I prefer their coupons :D Like last year promotion with 50% discount.

I do miss the coupons. Haven't seen one in a while, but they did have a sale no too long ago.

I just resigned up to DjDownload and Djtunes to see what they send. Can't remember receiving an email from them.

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Great to hear.. where can I submit our emailaddress to receive those recommendations??

Just sign up. If you have an account already, check the email you signed up with.

login
04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I do miss the coupons. Haven't seen one in a while, but they did have a sale no too long ago.

I just resigned up to DjDownload and Djtunes to see what they send. Can't remember receiving an email from them.

I just got one two weeks ago. It weems you get more if you stop shopping for a couple of months XD

They should have a rewards program for loyal costumers.

Era 7
04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I just got one two weeks ago. It weems you get more if you stop shopping for a couple of months XD

They should have a rewards program for loyal costumers.

definetly. or a monthly bonus for buying lossless :D aiffs are running steep on a student budget :P

Spife
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
my problem with beatport is I'm too poor to buy music right now :(
i.e. i'm cheating on it with soundcloud :D

DJNR
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I really liked the ultimate set openers listings

Hausgeist
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I just resigned up to DjDownload

DJdownload immediately gives you a free download token for the track of your choice for each $20 spent at one time.

M!TCH
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I usually immediately block the emails from any sites I sign up on. Otherwise my inbox gets inundated. May have to check this out though...

Smallz
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
i usually get a "My Beatport - New Arrivals This Week" e-mail which contains all the new releases from artists and record labels i follow, which is sorta helpful, but i get those notifications on the Beatport site anyways.

I wish i got the e-mails you got periodically, but it seems they just randomly throw a detailed e-mail like that at me. Haven't gotten one recently actually.

swine
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Has anyone been getting coupons? I used to receive them all the time.

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
DJdownload immediately gives you a free download token for the track of your choice for each $20 spent at one time.

I never spend that much on that site. Only use them when looking for something specific that I can't find on BP. Thanks for the headsup though.

HBBoogie
04-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Has anyone been getting coupons? I used to receive them all the time.

I haven't been emailed any lately, but you can just google beatport coupons and get a list of codes. I've been doing that for the last couple months, but I think I'm starting to run out.

Rek_Aviles
04-16-2012, 03:31 PM
^^

I've done that when shopping for clothes online. Never thought about doing that for BP. :lol:

PopeofDope
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Just sign up. If you have an account already, check the email you signed up with.

Alright, will do that thanks!

mostapha
04-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Props to BP for turning spam into useful email. :tup:

It's funny, but I recently added a rule in gmail to just delete the form emails from beatport, so I don't see them anymore. They went from being useless to being useless and annoying a few months ago.

But, then, I do that for just about every site I buy things from. "Oh, you bought something? Well, here's some other stuff you can buy from us." might be the most annoying form of advertising ever.

MeowMix
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
If you dont buy anything for several months you used to get a 20 % off coupon. Not sure if they still do that. I just wait from one sale to the other. Even those random sales usedto be 20% off but now have dropped to 15.

Molbster
04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
If you have your genre choices set and also labels you like set, then Bport sends you emails geared more towards those choices. I've also been noticing they pay more attention to the type of tracks you buy and tailor weekly emails to your liking.

As far as coupons go, you get them either if you've been away for a while or if you're a big spender. I still get 1 every 1-2 months or so.

mostapha
04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I guess I'm just not the target their marketing works on…I buy several different genres and a lot of different labels/artists in weird waves. Sometimes it seems like they're sending me suggestions for everything. No hip hop or hardstyle, though, so I guess their algorithms are doing something right.

swine
04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
If you dont buy anything for several months you used to get a 20 % off coupon. Not sure if they still do that. I just wait from one sale to the other. Even those random sales usedto be 20% off but now have dropped to 15.

Yeah, thats how it used to be. I'm trying to figure out when they send them out now. Its true there are tons of coupon codes around the web but they are usually %20 off never 25 or 50 (i think i heard about someone getting a %50 one).

The only useful spam from beatport are the emails about new releases from labels ive subscribed to.

DJNR
04-18-2012, 01:37 PM
I wish they didn't charge more for .WAV :(

HarryK
05-08-2012, 06:32 AM
So in terms of beatport doing things right, does anyone know why they have some tracks in .wav format that you can't find at the label's website? I was looking for some dnb tunes and, though I couldn't find lossless formats at the label's webshop, beatport listed wavs and aiffs. How come? Does anyone know? Can I trust them they offer wavs and not mp3s converted to wavs?

Era 7
05-08-2012, 08:32 AM
I guess I'm just not the target their marketing works on…I buy several different genres and a lot of different labels/artists in weird waves. Sometimes it seems like they're sending me suggestions for everything. No hip hop or hardstyle, though, so I guess their algorithms are doing something right.

yeah same with hardstyle for me but the problem is that hardstyle is listed under hard dance which includes hard house, hardcore, UK hardcore etc. etc.. but if you really want hardstyle in high quality can always buy at hardstyle.com

Rek_Aviles
05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
So in terms of beatport doing things right, does anyone know why they have some tracks in .wav format that you can't find at the label's website? I was looking for some dnb tunes and, though I couldn't find lossless formats at the label's webshop, beatport listed wavs and aiffs. How come? Does anyone know? Can I trust them they offer wavs and not mp3s converted to wavs?

Good question. You might was to send an email to the label and see what they say about that. It's possible the the label just doesn't want to host WAV files because of the size.

HarryK
05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Ok, was gonna do that anyway. Just wanted to know wether anyone had a "weird" experience...

Sigma
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
One fairly sure sign of a transcode is the frequency chopping off abruptly above a certain level.

For instance, if a file has been transcoded from a 128 Kbps MP3 it will most likely look like this: -

http://i.imgur.com/U5d5c.jpg

And from 320 Kbps it will look like this: -

http://i.imgur.com/OfpbD.jpg

While a true WAV should look like this: -

http://i.imgur.com/QQ6S3.jpg

Testing a single file won't be conclusive, cos there may be other reasons why the frequency gets cut off, but if you test a bunch of WAVs and they all look like those MP3 graphs then I would be suspicious.

Hygro
05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm noticing a lot of my beatport festival-progressive house tracks have a 10khz rolloff point. I think it was the choice of genre. Am now suspicious.

also I like their genre update emails. At first I found them obnoxious, until they introduced to some cool subgenres I hadn't seen.

Era 7
05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm noticing a lot of my beatport festival-progressive house tracks have a 10khz rolloff point. I think it was the choice of genre. Am now suspicious.

i think some people also produce that way. i've seen a video of nicky romero in his studio and he was saying something about chopping some frequencies since you can't hear them anyway.

DJ Nutty
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure all the files Beatport offer are provided by the label. They dont even make their own MP3s from WAVs.

Their WAV tax is a bit lame tho, if I'm buying loads of WAVS I head to junodownload. AIFF is lovely tho. Not had any vouchers from them for a while either.

DJ Elroy
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Right, the more artists and labels you "like" on the site (not just purchase, you actually have to click the box) will help them get you a better selection of music. I too usually just delete the emails because I just don't have time for them. But I did check out last weeks "Genres on the Rise" and wasn't at all impressed.

I wish they would categorize more like dancerecords.com used to do when it was a vinyl site.

Hygro
05-09-2012, 08:55 PM
i think some people also produce that way. i've seen a video of nicky romero in his studio and he was saying something about chopping some frequencies since you can't hear them anyway.
You definitely can hear them (10k-17k for me, up to 22k for a few) , but they don't travel well without being reallllly loud. Being higher frequencies, this means the people by the speakers get their hearing blown. My guess was it's partially because the nature of the planned venues for these tracks are such that it's better to keep your highs below 10kz.

HarryK
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
They replied. They said they distribute wavs to their resellers, so I guess all is good...

Era 7
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
just recieved another recommendations email. again: spot on. epic stuff in there.

Rek_Aviles
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
yah, I was just looking the their Big Drops email. Haven't checked but it did catch my attention.

On another note, all the other sites I signed up for, after I made this thread, have yet to send anything interesting beside some new release emails. :unamused:

howitzer
05-17-2012, 07:20 AM
I dont find I buy much from beatport any more, although I agree that the emails can be quite good!

My main quibble is the price.

Load up an album in your cart on BP, thats £1.30 per track.
Do the same with juno and you get full album discount, less than £1.30 per track.

Even with the 20% off codes that do the rounds frequently, Juno is still cheaper for the most part.

Rek_Aviles
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Check your inboxes ppl.

I just received a 25% off coupon in this weeks email.

Era 7
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Check your inboxes ppl.

i did recieve one as well. dammit beatport! they always hit me up with discounts when i'm low on cash and don't want to buy shit! :argh:

mostapha
06-20-2012, 05:17 AM
That sounds familiar.

MeowMix
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Check your inboxes ppl.

yea the loyalty 25% off is nice although i might be going to people who havent bought in a while. Last time i bought was months ago.

BuddyUK
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Jokes lad jokes, this is an open invitiation to any beatport lads who are visiting London to PM me to get my mobile & arrange a meet, bring as many of your meathead bouncer mates as you like, it won't help you none lad, trust. Enjoy carrying your teeth home in your pockets which of course you won't do because you are a bunch of greedy cowardly bastards.